Does NCL keep notes on guests?

ClarkBHM

Interesting -

In a day and age where you are tracked by your phone, your internet searches, your car, your watch...I suppose it's not surprising you are tracked by a service industry. That being said - if the European rules hold true, I wonder what the legal implications are.

Amy

These things are no longer being tracked in Europe or by Google and Microsoft for Europeans. Microsoft has paid big fines and lost legal battles there. And changed Windows. All those web sites that make you agree to cookies? That’s thanks to GDPR. You have to consent to that tracking. Europe does not have the NSA snooping up your browser history and It is picking fights with the US government for doing so. It has even been declared a human rights violation. It has already won the fight with the IT companies!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Simple answer... for suite passengers,... yes.... yes they do. We have experienced it first hand, and confirmed our theory with the butler.

There was an episode of Jeeves and Wooster where they showed that Jeeves belonged to the Ganymede Club (for butlers) and members had to note down in a big book the foibles of their employers (Bertie's entry ran to many pages).

Did your butler specify what sort of information was noted down? Perhaps just how appreciative the guests were? And if NCL corporate doesn't record that information, I wonder if the butlers do it themselves, à la Jeeves.

I've sailed multiple times in suites and Virginia is the only concierge that I felt "remembered" me or gave me some kind of attention that could conceivably relate to prior experience. So I used to think there were careful records, but maybe they were just her personal notes. Because I can't say the last 4-5 experiences brought any kind of special attention. We're good tippers and ask for virtually nothing, so maybe they all got the word we want to be left alone?

Simple answer... for suite passengers,... yes.... yes they do. We have experienced it first hand, and confirmed our theory with the butler.

Simple answer they do not for - its not worth it because f they did the fine would be awful..

Would a butler understand GDPR in the context of European law. so your theory may have been right but it is not now. Oh BTW Ask NCL for the entire information they hold on you if you still think you are correct.

I think this thread is very timely, as I just read an article where Disney keeps notes on all their guests, whether in the parks or hotels. Their park staff is given the heads up, if there is a serial complainer (because they give Disney bucks out if one complains), so they don't continue to reward them. Their hotels use the information for upgrades to good customers and for those rooms with terrible views, they give them to people who were rude to staff, left the hotel rooms in a complete mess or complained about everything.

I agree... it's a current issue and we see breaches of personal information in the news all the time now. Disney is a funny one. I complained for years that after 25 years they should greet me by my first name and treat me better than the grumpy people next in line. And then they automated the check in process so I don't even see a person any more.

But I think it's amazing when a person in the service industry remembers you over a long time like hladygirl mentioned above. There was a waitress in a Disney venue on Pleasure Island who remembered my and my favorite drink year after year. I was so impressed. There is a waiter on Breakaway named Craig who I spent a lot of time with last December. I think he will remember me and may even remember the custom drink he made for me about 50 times. Hoping he will still be there in 59 days!

There was an episode of Jeeves and Wooster where they showed that Jeeves belonged to the Ganymede Club (for butlers) and members had to note down in a big book the foibles of their employers (Bertie's entry ran to many pages).

Did your butler specify what sort of information was noted down? Perhaps just how appreciative the guests were? And if NCL corporate doesn't record that information, I wonder if the butlers do it themselves, à la Jeeves.

OK... here's exactly how we knew. On one of our first occasions in a suite, we asked the butler if we could have a plate of pretzel rolls sent up to the cabin as we couldn't seem to find them at the time and my wife is quite fond of them. Turns out at the time, NCL had stopped making them for a while, and the butler arranged for the chef to make us a bunch from scratch... very nice touch and we appreciated it very much.

A couple of years later, on a different ship with a different butler, when we came back to the cabin on the first day at sea, we were greeted by another platter full of Pretzel rolls that we hadn't asked for, but clearly they had been forwarded this information from our previous sailing, as we were the only ones in our area who had a tray of pretzel rolls. We asked the butler, who admitted with a smile that certain preferences are noted of suite passengers so that the butlers can try to make your experience that much better :)

All in all, I don't think any privacy laws were infringed upon and I'm rather glad they were able to surprise my wife. it's the little things that make a difference.

Caveat.... these events were all prior to any GDPR law .. and I'm fairly certain that most people would be appreciative to this kind of attention to detail from a butler in a suite aboard a cruise ship. Of course as soon as I say that I realize there is always an exception to every situation! I guess I will see in 128 days on the Sky if they still have the information and a plate of pretzel rolls shows up without us requesting it!

Edited by cliffd64
more info

For those who are concerned about the European GDPR laws, consider that NCL knows exactly what your nationality is. After all, they have your passport. Just put a do not track flag on the passengers who are subject to that law, and keep records on everyone else... ;-)