Best denominations to bring for cash?

AlixPaige

Be prepared with small bills. Unfortunately one of my housemates is in the same bind as the OP--all her checking accounts are with "virtual" banks--and she asks me to break a $20 or larger for her on almost a daily basis. I suggest hoarding $1 and $5 bills received as change for two or three months before your cruise.

On my Alaska cruise in May taking the disembarkation tour from Whittier to Portage Glacier and the Wildlife Center, it was ridiculous seeing so many people proffer $50 and $100 bills for small purchases. Or expect to use a credit card for a candy bar or bag of chips at a snack stand in the middle of the wilderness that still relies on dial-up internet for approvals. Don't be those people--you're on vacation, make life easier for yourself and the people serving you.

• 2 weeks later...
Most USA banks are affiliated with a network of ATM machines that are usually available all over the world - USAA is a very large bank and you should have no problems. Ask your branch which machines will work for you and what kind of a fee they charge, which may be in addition to anything charged by the ATM at time of withdrawal. Yes, there have been some changes since you last used an ATM; the ones at our bank now allow me to specify what denomination bills I want - at least $5, $20, or $100 denominations. If you want anything else, you need to go to a teller.

USAA does not have branches. ALL US ATMs will work, plus USAA reimburses any ATM fees.

We never travel with only $200....if you NEED cash, it's good to have it! We generally bring $1500 for a week long trip. We bring mainly hundred dollar bills, a couple $20's, and whatever change occurs during the trip...the ship can break down larger bills for you. Larger bills are easier to carry than wads of smaller denominations.

Whatever we don't need goes back in the bank when we get home.

You do know about ATMs??? :D

Why carry so much cash, when you can get more any time you need.

I carry no more than $200 - 300 cash, unless I am traveling to one a few countries that are cash only (even have to pay hotel bills in cash).

We rarely bring more than $200 and rarely spend it all. Tips for porters and the occasional tour guide or taxi. We may give something extra to the room steward and waitstaff on the last night. We do usually bring one credit card with us when we go ashore.That's it.

Same here.

You can go into any bank with cash and have the break it into smaller amounts.

They may be able to give you cash from your debit card. I have not tried this, but have done it from a credit card for work trips to cash only countires.

Some ATMS (M&T bank locally) give a mix of 5's, 10's, and 20's.