Pacific Jewel to leave the P&O fleet March 2019

I am finding a strange pattern here with all the ship leaving P&O Australia and being replaced with larger ships that cannot fit under the Sydney Harbour Bridge like Star Princess and Golden Princess. Both of those ships could see more service life with Princess as they are a lot better than the Sun and Sea Princess. This also seems to be happening at the same time there is a lot of pressure on both governments to find another cruise terminal option either at Botany Bay or Garden Island that has been ruled out and also one area of Botany Bay ruled unlikely due to air draft and turbulence it could create for passenger jets.

Does anyone here believe on coincidences or are the cruise lines that base here in Australia pushing the limits by sending ships here to make Darling Harbour and White Bay obsolete.

Does anyone here believe on coincidences or are the cruise lines that base here in Australia pushing the limits by sending ships here to make Darling Harbour and White Bay obsolete.

This is an interesting theory actually and one that I reckon has some legs. A few things don't add up for me. The Eden and Jewel were perfectly fine and could have sailed a few more years. And why are they announcing the additions so far in advance? Golden at the end of 2020 and Star at the end of 2021.

It sounds like it's an attempt to force the government's hand a bit. "We've got big ships coming. Be ready."

Without having an opinion on this, I would add that Carnival group (including P&O/Princess) were the most pro-Garden Island takeover amongst the cruise line operators here.

That was under their previous leadership though and I'm not sure that their new leadership is so strongly set.