1st time family cruise on Ventura next year. Any advice?

Bashyman

HI all,

We are a family of 4 with 2 boys (when cruise sets off they'll be 9 and 11)

We have just booked our first cruise, August 4th 2019 for 13 nights on the Ventura to the canary islands (Madeira, La Palma, Tenerife, Lanzarote and La Coruna).

We are all so excited. Have just logged in and we've been allocated a cabin already...P323 (Outside Cabin). I've looked into it and it's on Deck 5. Have obviously googled the cabin and have read a couple of reviews for this particular cabin (admittedly were wrote in 2011) and reviewers have posted that when the stabilisers have been 'deployed' the noise has been unbearable and remained that way until they were 'brought back in'.

My first question is, has anyone else experienced this cabin? I've read other reviews on deck 5 (P deck), and all other ones have said it's probably the best deck to be on for lack of noise and ship movement. My parents, who are regular cruisers and have been on this ship before (although not deck 5), say that it's a good deck. Just worried about the noise in that particular cabin, or could it be the individual reviews I read were over sensitive?

Also, I know the Ventura had a refurb in April this year and part of the work carried out were on the stabilisers...could this have made a difference to the noise in cabin P323?

I am an incredibly light sleeper and don't want to spend all holiday shattered. We are booked on the easy saver, so can't change the cabin anyway, just want peace of mind. Maybe the stabilisers won't be deployed anyway?

My other question is regarding the entertainment and facilities for our boys. The vast majority of the reviews I've read for the Ventura have been for couples with no children.

I know they have clubs for their age range and they will be in the same age range for the 'reef' club. But just wondered what they get up to in this club. My two, as I expect most boys that age LOVE gaming and my parents have told me that on some cruises they have PS4's and xbox's or similar in the childrens clubs. Does the Ventura have this type of thing? I'd rather prepare them for what they can expect as they've heard my parents talking about their cruises and what they've experienced with observing other families. We don't want them to be disappointed. Also, are there drinks/ice cream packages for the children?

Thank you for reading and thanks in advance for any replies.

Also, any other advice (e.g. excursions/dining) or info would be much appreciated. So excited...but still a whole year away!

Edited by Bashyman
Paragraphs

Hi, do you know how specific the possible noise problem is ? If so, you could phone and ask to be moved to another cabin of the same grade. I did that this year when I booked a saver fare and there was no fee. Do a dummy select fare booking to see which cabins are still free.

Always take ear plugs.

Your cabin is in a nice quiete location and handy for Costa. Theatre, restaurants and shops.

Currently P&O only do soft drink package of 20 for £35 and I think 20 ice creams for £25 (I’m sure somebody can tell you the exact ice cream price). You can always take your own soft drinks to save a few £ but can’t take them into restaurants.

Who knows what will be available next year as P&O seem to be reviewing their drink offerings/rules.

Enjoy.

Ventura was my first cruise and still remains my favourite ship in the fleet. I did one summer holidays and kids all looked to be having a lot of fun with clubs at back of ship. Dining options good onboard and Sindhu and Glasshouse still my favourites.

I find the prices on board the ship reasonable and I would suggest that there is no need to buy packages. P&O don't really push drinks packages anyway.

The speciality dinning is one of the big USPs on this ship. I would recommend the Beach House and Glass House as family friendly venues.

There is an arcade which the boys might enjoy. When my children were that age, they weren't really into kids clubs but made enough friends around the ship. There are also sports type activities that the boys can sign up for.

I am interested to know how you managed to log in to your cruise personaliser so early to find out which cabin you had been allocated. I have never been able to log in any earlier than around 5-8 weeks before departure.

I am interested to know how you managed to log in to your cruise personaliser so early to find out which cabin you had been allocated. I have never been able to log in any earlier than around 5-8 weeks before departure.

As far as I'm aware you can log into your cruise personaliser 24 hours after you make your booking. I can get into mine for a booking in September 2019.

I can log into my booking (for July 2019) but my cabin number hasn't been allocated yet. This was my reason for asking the question - how did the OP find out her cabin number so far in advance? From the sounds of it, the OP did not book a specific cabin and was randomly allocated one.

I can log into my booking (for July 2019) but my cabin number hasn't been allocated yet. This was my reason for asking the question - how did the OP find out her cabin number so far in advance? From the sounds of it, the OP did not book a specific cabin and was randomly allocated one.

When you book a cabin for 3/4 you often get allocated the number quickly as there are only a few of that grade available. I book for 3 and have been allocated a cabin booking saver rate nearly a year before just a few days after booking.

Yeah, can't really shed any light as to why we've been allocated a cabin early, but logged in and it was there. My parents were also surprised to hear that we've found out already. We did pay nearly £2,000 deposit, so that my be a reason.

Thanks for all the replies, just makes me even more excited!!

Hi...P deck on Ventura/Azura is our favourite deck. Haven't stayed in the cabin that you have been allocated but never experienced any undue noise on that deck....nothing that is " unbearable" We booked a balcony cabin some time ago...before we knew how convenient it is on P deck...for an up & coming cruise but really wished we going back on P deck in an outside cabin....unfortunately we can't downgrade.

HI all,

We are a family of 4 with 2 boys (when cruise sets off they'll be 9 and 11)

We have just booked our first cruise, August 4th 2019 for 13 nights on the Ventura to the canary islands (Madeira, La Palma, Tenerife, Lanzarote and La Coruna).

We are all so excited. Have just logged in and we've been allocated a cabin already...P323 (Outside Cabin). I've looked into it and it's on Deck 5. Have obviously googled the cabin and have read a couple of reviews for this particular cabin (admittedly were wrote in 2011) and reviewers have posted that when the stabilisers have been 'deployed' the noise has been unbearable and remained that way until they were 'brought back in'.

My first question is, has anyone else experienced this cabin? I've read other reviews on deck 5 (P deck), and all other ones have said it's probably the best deck to be on for lack of noise and ship movement. My parents, who are regular cruisers and have been on this ship before (although not deck 5), say that it's a good deck. Just worried about the noise in that particular cabin, or could it be the individual reviews I read were over sensitive?

Also, I know the Ventura had a refurb in April this year and part of the work carried out were on the stabilisers...could this have made a difference to the noise in cabin P323?

I am an incredibly light sleeper and don't want to spend all holiday shattered. We are booked on the easy saver, so can't change the cabin anyway, just want peace of mind. Maybe the stabilisers won't be deployed anyway?

My other question is regarding the entertainment and facilities for our boys. The vast majority of the reviews I've read for the Ventura have been for couples with no children.

I know they have clubs for their age range and they will be in the same age range for the 'reef' club. But just wondered what they get up to in this club. My two, as I expect most boys that age LOVE gaming and my parents have told me that on some cruises they have PS4's and xbox's or similar in the childrens clubs. Does the Ventura have this type of thing? I'd rather prepare them for what they can expect as they've heard my parents talking about their cruises and what they've experienced with observing other families. We don't want them to be disappointed. Also, are there drinks/ice cream packages for the children?

Thank you for reading and thanks in advance for any replies.

Also, any other advice (e.g. excursions/dining) or info would be much appreciated. So excited...but still a whole year away!

Some advice on excursions. You either have the option of booking them via P&O or using an independent company that provides excursions in the ports you are visiting. P&O excursions are generally more expensive than independent companies but have the advantage of the guarantee that the ship will not leave until all the P&O coaches have returned, they may be delayed because of traffic etc. You may also have the option of walking into the town you dock at, but sometimes you will need to catch a shuttle. Where you have booked an early saver fare the shuttle will be chargeable, unless it's been laid on by the port when it will be free.

Enjoy your first cruise, Ventura is a good ship for families.

Hi Our girls ( of about the same age) totally loved the kids clubs .. They do have game stations, although I don't recall which ones. When you register on the first day you will be given a programme for the reef and then the kids can pick and choose what they do. There is a fair bit of sports as well as arts and crafts and games.. Our two always love movie evening and the last night disco has never been missed. Although my husband tries every time to persuade the girls not to go as he would like to spend the evening with them .. He has to put up with just me!!

A lot depends on your dining allocation, which you cannot always choose or be given what you think you want. Allocation is often decided on the fare basis. You will definitely be put down for 1st sitting, 2nd sitting or Freedom Dining. If you are given 1st or 2nd you will get a table for the four of you or be sharing with other cruisers same table, time and people every night. Whatever you end up will give you options on how to manage the day and evening better.

There is a children's tea earlier in the afternoon where only the children eat but you are with them. Some parents like this as the parents then dine later as a couple. Some children like this as they can get down the children's club earlier (2nd sitting will encroach on their club time). This will assist you in going down the theatre as a couple or as a family depending on how you think you want to be working the evenings. At least keep sticking one's head in the kids club every hour or so at the start will help you guage what they want and make it feasible to do what you want to do.

I always think that new cruisers with children should work out beforehand "What kind of cruise do we want?" Many of the ports also have a beach a taxi ride away. You can take your Beach Towels from under the sink and ask for more through cabin steward. There are excursions but you need to look carefully at whether they suit you all. Cruise line excursions are more expensive but guarantee they will hold the ship's departure up if you return late! A company I have used for excursions is www.viator.com who we have found reliable. If you go down that route the onus is on you to make sure you return to quayside in a timely manner same as indepndent taxi to the beach.

The drinks, soda package and ice cream card are on a punched card system so that children do not buy all their friends on a huge round of pepsis and sundaes. The ice creams relating to the card are basic! Cheapest drink I found was the 99p Pepsi bottle which I got from the bar unopened on request.

Cruise excursions work well with dining but you might be pushed with a long excursion on 2nd sitting on a formal night with four people using the bathroom. I always find out where the nearest public toilet is in case of bathroom being in use.

The Horizon newsletter advises you of "The Programme". It is a good idea in my opinion to highlight the "mustn't miss" events and "preferred events" and compare your selections with your partner. The Children's club also have a newsletter delivered to your cabin in the same way as the Horizon Newsletter. So children may have events they do not want to miss too.

The Club runs a fixed programme of organised age appropriate activities (parents have to sign children in and out of the club). The organised activities vary day to day as well as set things to do. Later in the evening things wind down and typically a grandstand constructed out of bean bags and miscellaneous furniture will be populated by a wider than normal club sector group with the Youth Team Leaders all watching some sort of DVD while half the kids nod off. This goes on until late. One problem parents can end up with is children that never want to leave the facility!

Your cabin location is excellent in my experience of low deck allocations but not on Ventura. The only problem with this location would be at tender ports where the ship drops the anchor at 4.30am or so to anchor in a harbour. The ship is berthed alongside at all your ports as far as I can see.

Bon Voyage.

John

Edited by john watson