Tax in Florida Port

george35

Bea, thank you for easing my doubts. Countdown is on for my first cruise in MSC Seaview... :)

Hope you have a wonderful time, SW! We're in YC on her a full year after you. We'll be on Poesia same time as you, though - the other end of the Med. :D

I have more and more questions...

Are the 10% VAT on drinks in addition to the 15% service charge ?

Are the 10% VAT added with pre-paid drink package and All-Inclusive Yacht Club ?

Thank you for providing helpful details. I sail in one week on MSC Seaview out of Genoa.

Never cruised MSC but I am sure they wouldn’t ride roughshod over the EU law as VAT is a legal requirement. There is a loophole which exempts pre purchased items like drink packages, dining reservations from the addition of VAT as long as it is paid before the cruise commences.

Well ... I've sailed MANY times on MSC and I can say that I've never had an extra tax charged when buying drinks packages onboard (or on any other items for that matter!). We pre-order drinks packages/excursions but cannot pay 'til onboard. If you were correct, we would have to pay the VAT that you imply is avoided if pre-paid (through your alleged 'loophole').

On West Med cruises, Genoa is regarded as the 'originating' port (when it's on the itinerary, despite the fact that Barcelona and Marseilles would also be deemed to be 'homeports'). There's no way that Spain or France are going to allow ships in their ports to be charging VAT that would be paid to Italy.

I've read on the boards here that, when ships are in Spanish ports, tax is added (though have never experienced it, despite visiting Spanish ports on MSC numerous times).

Edited by Beamafar

Well ... I've sailed MANY times on MSC and I can say that I've never had an extra tax charged when buying drinks packages onboard (or on any other items for that matter!).

I would suggest you ask the direct question of MSC. They will be charging VAT, if it is not added then it is already included but for sure you are paying VAT or they are breaking the law.

I would suggest you ask the direct question of MSC. They will be charging VAT, if it is not added then it is already included but for sure you are paying VAT or they are breaking the law.

I don't need to ask MSC anything about the subject - I've plenty of experience of MSC; my upcoming will be my 20th onboard an MSC ship! The impression has been given by you (who've never sailed MSC) that VAT will be added to prices onboard. It won't!!!

As an EU citizen (for now, at least) you know that VAT is always INCLUDED in the price - not added afterward. The basic drinks package is €26 pppd, whether you sail only in the Eurozone or visit ports outside of it.

As an EU citizen (for now, at least) you know that VAT is always INCLUDED in the price - not added afterward. The basic drinks package is €26 pppd, whether you sail only in the Eurozone or visit ports outside of it.

Glad you accept that MSC do charge VAT, they include it in their headline price. It’s a bit concerning that they charge the same in Caribbean waters where it should be cheaper by simple logic.

Glad you accept that MSC do charge VAT, they include it in their headline price. It’s a bit concerning that they charge the same in Caribbean waters where it should be cheaper by simple logic.

Go back and read your post #8, then come back and explain why drinks packages onboard MSC ships in the Med are the same price whether they visit only Eurozone ports or have non-EU ports in the itinerary. Your argument implies that there wouldn't be VAT added to the latter itineraries.

Ken ... I had an idea that that was the case (which causes confusion around MSC sailings). Great to see you around these parts these days - I always find your contributions on the various ports very interesting and informative.

Ken ... I had an idea that that was the case (which causes confusion around MSC sailings). Great to see you around these parts these days - I always find your contributions on the various ports very interesting and informative.

Hi Bea. You're too kind! I'm only trotting after you and other experts on here. Don't you find an air of aggression creeping into the forum where people are usually just trying to be helpful?

Just 29 days til we head off on Magnifica and less than 6 mths til we board Seaside. We're coming to the end of major reinstatement works at the house due to a water leak so looking forward to the break! You're sailing another big trip soon? Ken

I agree with you about the air of aggression creeping in. I've also noticed a few making remarks that people aren't getting their questions answered - just narky responses about being told (advised, I'd say) to use the search facility. My experience is that quite a few who ask for assistance don't even bother to return to the thread they've started to acknowledge those who went to the bother (and sometimes trouble, in terms of finding and posting links) of answering. I often wonder how those hurlers on the ditch would feel if they were the ones constantly answering the same questions over and over without receiving even an acknowledgement!

Anyway ... rant over! :) Yes, we're off on Poesia next Saturday for a Greek cruise (not really a biggy, though). First time on this ship; we've been on Magnifica and Orchestra, so it probably won't seem any different to me - I can never remember the different decor on the various ships (though DH does :rolleyes:).

Sorry to hear about the house trouble. Certainly a trip away will help (and is probably sorely needed, I can imagine). Are you still keeping your little secret about the Seaside?

we're off on Poesia next Saturday for a Greek cruise (not really a biggy, though). First time on this ship; we've been on Magnifica and Orchestra, so it probably won't seem any different to me - I can never remember the different decor on the various ships (though DH does :rolleyes:).

Sorry to hear about the house trouble. Certainly a trip away will help (and is probably sorely needed, I can imagine). Are you still keeping your little secret about the Seaside?

Interesting! I was looking at Poesia for Norway today. Be interested in your views on her.

Yes, she knows only that it's Aurea, not the whirlpool bit. I was tempted to go YC but the experience only appeals to me in some respects so we will try Aurea first! Have a great cruise, Bea. Ken

Dear, Bea:

Tá do chuid tuairimí cabhrach i gcónaí.

Just got back from an Alaska Inland Passage cruise. It was fantastic! Just wished MSC went there. After a B2B in March on the Seaside, we are planning self-drive from Dublin for a fortnight in July. DW and daughter are already planning a day (long day) Game of Thrones tour from Dublin that includes the Giant's Causeway. Really starting to get excited about that trip home.

I agree with you about the air of aggression creeping in. I've also noticed a few making remarks that people aren't getting their questions answered - just narky responses about being told (advised, I'd say) to use the search facility. My experience is that quite a few who ask for assistance don't even bother to return to the thread they've started to acknowledge those who went to the bother (and sometimes trouble, in terms of finding and posting links) of answering. I often wonder how those hurlers on the ditch would feel if they were the ones constantly answering the same questions over and over without receiving even an acknowledgement!

Anyway ... rant over! :) Yes, we're off on Poesia next Saturday for a Greek cruise (not really a biggy, though). First time on this ship; we've been on Magnifica and Orchestra, so it probably won't seem any different to me - I can never remember the different decor on the various ships (though DH does :rolleyes:).

Dear, Bea:

Tá do chuid tuairimí cabhrach i gcónaí.

Go raibh míle maith agat, John! :)

I hope you have a wonderful trip home next year - go n-éirí an bóthar libh on your jaunts. :*

Such a shame about the trees being damaged during the hurricane on the "King's Road".