Europe in Early November

PoppyandNana

Although popular tourist areas, they are also major cities so local transportation should be fine.most venues museums will be open and info is online to see times. We did E Med in early Nov and a transatlantic afterwards and it was great. Le crowds, cheaper pricing, maybe.

Enjoy but it does rain a bit more, well worth it to us.

Den

November 1st is a holiday and you may find things closed on that day. The "low" season starts in November so the cost of hotels drop, there are fewer people, and the weather is still quite nice. I've spent several day in Rome in early November prior to a west bound transatlantic and really enjoy that time of year.

we will be in Valencia, Rome, Nice, Naples, Florence, Marseille the first two weeks of November. What can we expect in the way of crowds, venues being open (or closed) and local transportation?

All the main attractions in these cities are year round as each is a destination in its own right. City breaks are very popular in Europe. Weekends will be busier than midweeks. However, if there are particular sites you want to see google as if major cleaning, restoration etc is going to take place it usually starts in early November. Some sites or parts of sites could be closed or have restricted access. The cities will be quieter than peak season but not dead...

In the port/sea side areas near to where you dock, however, things will have started to slow down (less street vendors, some cafes and shops either closing or about to close for the season) but there will still be plenty of things open.

I would google specific transport if I was you....tourist buses etc will still run but perhaps less frequently. Booking private tours should be easier than peak season and it may be worth trying to negotiate a price slightly lower than advertised....No harm in asking!

The biggest problem we have experienced touring in Europe at this time of the year has been the weather. We experienced torrential downpours at Pompeii, great weather in Rome (until a sudden downpour caught us off guard) and strong winds in Nice......We found a lightweight kagool worked well....On the positive side re weather we found Florence unbearably hot in August, much better to enjoy out of season....

Hope you have a fantastic time!

As an European who does weekend travels within Europe I can only agree to what the previous speakers said. If you are not in for heat and big crowds November will be perfect. I found Rome still too crowded in October, for example… ;)

Four of my Med cruises have been in November, and I didn't find things closed up -- not even on Mykonos (a holiday destination) near the end of November.

Regarding rain -- while it is more likely in October and November, that by no means suggests that you will hit rain. The overall chance is still fairly low -- just a bit higher than in summertime. I've hit majorly rainy days only once in November (in Sicily) in four different cruises....