Should I cancel my Cabana on Labadee

MoyCoy

I asked this question on the Private Island boards and received a great response. I just wanted to add to that question so I will post it here since it has to do with the ship as well.

I have reserved a cabana on Nellies beach ($355) for 6 for my upcoming cruise on the Harmony in December. (Ship docks at 930am departs at 6pm -BTW). There will be 4 adults and 8 year old twins. I wanted a bungalow on Columbus Cove, but there were sold out. I thought about a beach bed but am not a fan of the rocky bottom with children.

I was concerned if I did not reserve something that it would be a crazy mad house on the beach because the Harmony is so large. I really wanted the Cabanas over the water but it would be another $170. WOW!

I do want to purchase a pass to the waterpark and the water slide. This cheap day on a private Island may turn out to be my most expensive day:o

So I am rethinking things. The Cabanas on Nellie beach are quite a ways from the water which means an adult will need to be near the water watching the kids swim while the others can relax in the cabana. The cabanas are under ALOT of shade so sunning would not be possible. I understand its a short walk to Columbus Cove under the water slide. So getting to activities would not be a issue. I would have liked to be right near the activates, but again the bungalows are sold out.

I came across this video and thought, hummm how practical is it to assume you can get off in time to get a good seat on colobus Cove with so many people with the same idea as you.

Here was my idea. We could get off as soon as we are allowed to, grab water ever shady seats we can find near the water on Columbus Cove. Do the water park and the slide, maybe swim a little. Go back on the ship and enjoy lunch in the windjammer by 1 or 2pm. Then go to the pool and take advantage of the hopefully non existent lines on the water slides etc. Maybe some ice skiting?

For those of you who have stayed on the ship or have come back early when docked in Labadee, what entertainment options are open? I learned watching someone's vlog that there was a crown and anchor event while docked at Labadee. Do you think it would be better to hold onto the cabana and enjoy the day or take advantage of a mostly empty ship?

We are also stopping in St martin where we will visit a beach during a tour and PR where we will explore the forts. So this may be our only chance to beat the lines while everyone else is at port. I am just not sure if my kids will enjoy themselves so much that they will not want o leave and I might regret not having a homebase , i.e. cabana.

I would love to hear any advice you might have!

BTW I have visited Labadee once. It was soooo hot we could only stay on the beach for 2 hours.

This will be my twins first time on Labadee.

We were on Anthem when we stopped at Labadee. There were only 3 of us, but we were in no hurry getting off the ship that morning. Took the water taxi from the dock to the dropoff near the water park, a short walk from Columbus Cove.. Had no trouble whatsoever getting loungers in the shade. I know Harmony is a larger ship, but honestly don't think you'd have any trouble doing the same for your group.

We were on Harmony, stopping in Labadee this past January and our family of 5 splurged for the cabana over the water (we booked ridiculously early for this). It was the best day ever!! All cabanas looked fabulous. There was a tram to take us to the beach where we checked in to receive our cabana assignment. I'm not sure if due to the fact we were over the water, but we did not find it hot in the cabana as all walls are open and it's not enclosed. And we had our own immediate access to the water from the cabana. 2 loungers are placed in the front part of cabana where it's mostly sun, but now they have umbrellas as well for the that section. Then a full sectional couch inside the cabana. A cooler full of waters.

I would do it again in a heart beat. 10 second walk to the entrance to the water from the beach.

P.S. there is a great (covered) section where the windjmammer places out a great bbq lunch buffet. You can walk or take tram. No need to go back to ship unless you do not like BBQ.

Love Labadee, been there a dozen times. Over the water cabanas are nice, but not at current nosebleed prices.

I'm hearing mixed message. Cabana is great for lounging in shade, but op wants sun. Cabana provides secluded relaxation but op will be with kids at water park. Therefore don't think cabana meets op's needs.

We were there on Anthem last month with over 4800 passengers. Still plenty of good spots by Nellie's at 11am. Nellie's has a good sandy bottom. Just find a good spot and if rent a clamshell or umbrella. A little ways inland there is a large fully shaded area near the FREE kiddie park which is usually pretty deserted. Great place for 4 year olds to play requiring only minimal supervision.

Cabanas sounds great but I have been told they get like an oven inside. Never had one during a cruise so I can’t speak based on my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have experienced the opposite. We had one last week and it was delightful. Is is shaded and there is an overhead fan in the cabana. Much cooler than a chair under a tree. In addition, there is a power outlet and we brought a small personal fan in case anyone felt the need.

mac_tlc

Thank You everyone for your replies~!

I decided to cancel the cabana . I grabbed the last one on Nellie last week so I will indeed make someone's day;)

I used the money to book the Sandbar Excursion (hence avoided possible crowds) and giving my twins a different experience. That is from 10am-12pm. We will eat on Labadee and do the waterpark at 1. Or I will carry a few snacks off the ship for out Sand Bar excursion. I wonder if we are allowed to do that?

The kids should be exhausted by then. We will head back to the ship and enjoy the waterslides on the ship... which hopefully wont have a line :D

I felt silly giving up my Cabana. But maybe its for the best!

We were on Harmony, stopping in Labadee this past January and our family of 5 splurged for the cabana over the water (we booked ridiculously early for this). It was the best day ever!! All cabanas looked fabulous. There was a tram to take us to the beach where we checked in to receive our cabana assignment. I'm not sure if due to the fact we were over the water, but we did not find it hot in the cabana as all walls are open and it's not enclosed. And we had our own immediate access to the water from the cabana. 2 loungers are placed in the front part of cabana where it's mostly sun, but now they have umbrellas as well for the that section. Then a full sectional couch inside the cabana. A cooler full of waters.

I would do it again in a heart beat. 10 second walk to the entrance to the water from the beach.

P.S. there is a great (covered) section where the windjmammer places out a great bbq lunch buffet. You can walk or take tram. No need to go back to ship unless you do not like BBQ.

The cabanas over the water are over $500. Was it a better price when you booked?

The cabanas over the water are over $500. Was it a better price when you booked?

They were about the same pricing when we booked but worse for me as we are Canadian 🤦🏼*♀️.

Definitely not cheap, however we expected that going in and this was our splurge knowing we had a full day here and one of our favourite port days. It’s rare we get an eastern itinerary that docks at Labadee now so we do book this if we dock in that port. There was sun for those tanners, shade and a fan for my parents who prefer the shade and you receive the water lounger mats to float in the ocean.

Sounds like you booked a fun excursion regardless for your kids! It is hard not to have fun in Labadee!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were on Anthem when we stopped at Labadee. There were only 3 of us, but we were in no hurry getting off the ship that morning. Took the water taxi from the dock to the dropoff near the water park, a short walk from Columbus Cove.. Had no trouble whatsoever getting loungers in the shade. I know Harmony is a larger ship, but honestly don't think you'd have any trouble doing the same for your group.

Agreed!! If you are going to spend time at the waterpark, definitely take the water taxi over and just get a lounger at Columbus Cove. Plenty of shady spots when I was there in May.

Dreaming of going back!

Love Labadee, been there a dozen times. Over the water cabanas are nice, but not at current nosebleed prices.

I'm hearing mixed message. Cabana is great for lounging in shade, but op wants sun. Cabana provides secluded relaxation but op will be with kids at water park. Therefore don't think cabana meets op's needs.

We were there on Anthem last month with over 4800 passengers. Still plenty of good spots by Nellie's at 11am. Nellie's has a good sandy bottom. Just find a good spot and if rent a clamshell or umbrella. A little ways inland there is a large fully shaded area near the FREE kiddie park which is usually pretty deserted. Great place for 4 year olds to play requiring only minimal supervision.

Only been to Labadee once.... what's the free kiddie park? Is that the splash area with some water guns/pumps. Asking for my 4yo. Thank you

Only been to Labadee once.... what's the free kiddie park? Is that the splash area with some water guns/pumps. Asking for my 4yo. Thank you

Remember my youngest playing there years ago, but she's now 27. I know it's still there, but not sure what it offers. Believe it's called Adventure Ocean Oasis.

Remember my youngest playing there years ago, but she's now 27. I know it's still there, but not sure what it offers. Believe it's called Adventure Ocean Oasis.

Thank you. I believe that is the area the same area that I went to last time. Splash area, with a pretend ship and a few water cannons. It was almost completely empty, plenty of shade, lots of chairs and lounger around. Super quiet area.