Haven on Breakaway worth it after Epic?

mercedes355

My family is currently booked on a 7-day spring break cruise out of New Orleans on the Breakaway. Last spring break, we did a cruise on the Epic and stayed in a Haven 2 bedroom suite. We loved it and really enjoyed the quiet areas but also enjoyed the water slides and being on the pool deck with the action.

So I booked another Haven 2 bedroom suite for this cruise. I recently read that the Haven area on the Breakaway in no way compares to the Epic. I have also read that children under 16 are not allowed in the Haven pool. My children are 11, 9 and 8 so that would definitely be a factor to consider. One of my boys is autistic/ADHD so I should be able to get priority embarkation and disembarkation regardless. I can save $ 3500 by booking two connecting mini-suites but money is really not the issue. I just don't want to be disappointed with the Haven after the one on the Epic.

What would you do?

Breakaway has a retractable roof, so the courtyard is usable in all weather conditions (unlike the Epic).

The Breakaway has an indoor sundeck and outside sundeck. We enjoy air conditioned sunshine. No bar on the Breakaway sundeck, but the waiters are wonderful.

The Breakaway lounge is a bit smaller, but never fully utilized.

The “outside” dining area is poolside vs enclosed outside eating area on the Epic.

No private gym (which hardly anyone uses on the Epic).

Overall, the Haven on the Breakaway is wonderful. I will tell you that the Haven on the Epic is the best in the fleet, but I would never downgrade to regular rooms if I had the opportunity to be in a Haven room on the Breakaway.

No, I haven't looked on the website yet. I read it on here.

Haven Pool is fair game for kids, but the Hot Tubs have a sign that they are "Adults Only" (although that is ignored, unfortunately).

We will be on Epic next year so I can't comment on it specifically, but in terms of the Breakaway, most of the pool deck is devoted to "patio dining" (comprised of tables and chairs for dining). You actually have to walk up the steps to get to the majority of loungers.

The Haven pool in the courtyard is open to all ages. The courtyard is open to all ages. Its the sundeck areas (the upper decks, not the courtyard areas they are age restricting. You will be very disappointed in the Breakaway's upper sundeck compared to the Epic. It's about 1/4 the size for many more passengers. But with the age of your kids, you will want to be in the pools in the courtyard anyways and this is open to your kids. No question.

I think you will be disappointed in the Breakaway Haven compared to the Epic Haven but if the only other option is a straight balcony cabin........I'd still do the Haven. You will spend the week though saying things like....."The Epic Haven has 3 bars", "The Epic have has a huge adult sundeck, huge!", "You will say things like.....this lobby bar is way to small for the number of passengers here in the Haven"......and "How many passengers does the Breakaway have in the Haven because it seems like way too many"

The retractable roof sucks. It really does. Its the enormous glass and metal enclosure and it traps the sound inside. A couple kids in the Haven pool and the noise bounces all over making it really, really loud. Not like on the open Epic where the courtyard can be full and the noise isn't bouncing everywhere. The retractable roof sounds only good in theory.

I think you should go but have realistic expectations that the Epic Haven was better but this is the next best thing.

I think you will be fine. I was on sister ship Getaway after 2 Haven suites on Epic. I was disappointed because everything is scaled down. But if you can afford it, it still has many nice features. My pet peeves were how small the Haven restaurant is compared to Epic and no posh. But there is a Haven sundeck. I also think because we stayed outside the Haven complex also impacted our Haven experience. I did not think it would but it did.

The courtyard (where the pool is) can be used by all Haven guests. The sundeck upstairs has become age 16+. I don't know if it's for every BA/BA Plus ship but it might be.
Glad I asked, otherwise some folks would think their children couldn't use the pool.

Thank you for all of the responses. I think we should keep our Haven stateroom. Even if the Haven is not what it was on the Epic, it will be hard to go back to a "regular" stateroom after experiencing the Haven. And thanks everyone for clearing up the age restrictions for the pool area :)