Invergordon to loch ness

researching next years british Isles cruise

private tours very pricey and involving hours of driving on narrow windy road

We port in Invergordon and thinking of just making our way to Inverness and take a short cruise along Loch Ness

Issue is that my husband cant walk long distances because of arthritis so don't want him to run out of steam getting there

There is a train service between Invergordon and Inverness taking just under an hour-is the train station a short walk from cruise ships?

Jacobite loch ness cruises have various departure points but one most likely is 5 miles south of Inverness

is it worth taking a taxi whole trip from cruise ship or just the 5 mile from Inverness?

The train to Inverness takes about an hour and buses are infrequent so a taxi would be best from there. The train is a more interesting option than a car all the way, but the journey time isn't much different.

You might also consider the cruise from Tomnahurich Bridge which is nearer the station and, to me, looks more interesting.

The train to Inverness takes about an hour and buses are infrequent so a taxi would be best from there. The train is a more interesting option than a car all the way, but the journey time isn't much different.

You might also consider the cruise from Tomnahurich Bridge which is nearer the station and, to me, looks more interesting.

There's actually very good bus service to Inverness from Invergordon - 2x every hour on the 25 and 25X and often with extra buses on cruise days. There's actually a Jacobite tour that starts at the bus station which would I think would suit your needs perfectly. It's the Sensation tour https://www.jacobite.co.uk/tours/sensation and here's a link to it.

We did this last year and it was quite easy taking the bus 25X to Inverness and then joined the Jacobite tour. Here are some pictures of our day there. Just watch your time for the bus returning to port.

Thanks for the info on the bus ...we are there in a few weeks and need to get to Inverness for the Jacobite tour ....25x bus it is !!!!We were pretty sure this is what we needed to do but it is nice to see it in print lol ...

Thanks for the info on the bus ...we are there in a few weeks and need to get to Inverness for the Jacobite tour ....25x bus it is !!!!We were pretty sure this is what we needed to do but it is nice to see it in print lol ...

You are most welcome! The stop for 25X is just a short walk up from port to High Street, make a left and the bus is right there. Enjoy your cruise!

You are most welcome! The stop for 25X is just a short walk up from port to High Street, make a left and the bus is right there. Enjoy your cruise!

The cruise berth has been moved this year and you now walk up to the main street then turn right to get to the bus stop.

Happy to help jldevlin.

Jldevlin, I just noticed that we were also on the NCL Getaway transatlantic cruise in 2017 and NCL Jewel Transpacific cruise in May this year. :D

Lol ...where are you going next ...Love those sea days !!! Although I did find that the Getaway has much more to do for all the extra sea days we had on that cruise ...

Lol ...where are you going next ...Love those sea days !!! Although I did find that the Getaway has much more to do for all the extra sea days we had on that cruise ...

To tell the truth, the Getaway was a little too big for me...but we may take the last Baltic cruise on her and then the transatlantic back to New Orleans next year. Our next cruise will be on Diamond Princess Taiwan/Japan in November. Come home for a few days and then the same ship Yokohama to Singapore. Enjoy Scotland, we did!

We just returned from a Windstar cruise around Scotland. We flew in to Innverness pre-cruise and had a delightful woman take us to Culloden. She asked if we were going to Loch Ness, and we said we hadn't planned on it. She was describing how lovely it was on the east side, and I asked if she would be able to take us and she agreed. She also waited for us 1 1/2 hours at Culloden, drove us around other areas around Loch Ness. She was very reasonable. She may be willing to pick you up at Invergordon. Her name is Ann, her website is http://www.taxisandtoursinverness.co.uk. Enjoy your cruise. It is a beautiful place.