Rolex on Breakaway

Trimone

All the ones I’ve looked at come with their respective boxes, manuals and international warranty certificates.

All of the better faux Rolex watches come with their respective boxes, manuals, and international warranties. When counterfeiting a watch selling for thousands of dollars, paper work is cheap. The reason you purchase from a local Rolex dealer or jewelry store is so that you can find them again if you have a problem. If you buy a Rolex in Mexico, or from a cab driver, or on the back streets of New Orleans, you are probably not getting what you pay for. While a store on board a cruise ship may be better than some of these options, you will still have a very difficult time resolving problems arising after purchase. It will almost certainly come down to emails and phone calls about what you were told and what the salesman says he told you...providing they can locate that salesman.

NCL sales people said that there company had checked and serviced the watches, not exactly Rolex

Don’t know anything about that. The ones I inspected looked in good condition and were operating as I would expect. Nothing to me indicated they were “fake”Rolex watches.

I know there are some well respected companies, who are not affiliated with Rolex, who certify their watches. They do as good of a job as any I’ve seen.

All that said, I have no idea where they get their used Rolex watches from. I wouldn't buy any used watches (or used jewelry) from anywhere because of that.

Starboard Cruise is the retailer on most cruise lines. They are authorized to sell new watches by some prestigious brands like Hublot, Cartier, Jaeger, etc. So, they have to meet at least a good standard to sell those brands.

Just my opinion, but I believe the only reason they can’t sell Rolex is an attempt by Rolex to keep their retail channel small(er) to control pricing. However, no one can stop them from selling used.

I'm afraid that, for most of us, visual inspections of the watch is not going to detect a decent fake. Please watch this video:

Interesting video. Thanks!

As someone else mentioned, I don't buy used watches. So, not really an issue for me. Can't recall the name of the company, but there's one large jeweler who runs all the jewelry stores on at least the major cruise lines.

I would imagine if they were ever caught selling "fake" anything, the cruise lines would dump them like a hot potato. I suppose it's possible for them to deal in fakes, but I think it's highly improbable.

Now, if I were in Hong Kong, at a jewelry store selling Rolex watches, I'd be much more skeptical. On a cruise ship? Not so much!

I know I have a Rolex that my (then) wife bought for me about 15 years ago. We were in Vegas and she surprised me with it. It's all genuine. And, I know it's long overdue for some maintenance (according to Rolex). I got an estimate for maintenance on it and was SHOCKED how much just routine maintenance cost.

It still keeps time. It's still in good shape. It shows a little wear. So, I'm happy with it. Unfortunately, I don't wear it much these days. I'm addicted to some of the other, less known brands, that are Swiss made for my daily wear (i.e. Ball, Orvis, etc).

IMHO, I would not buy a Rolex or any high end watch on a cruise ship. I’ve seen too many stories of things going wrong and not being able to find someone to help with repairs.

Then again, buy it if you like it but don’t buy it as an investment piece (like the art on board).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

IMHO, I would not buy a Rolex or any high end watch on a cruise ship. I’ve seen too many stories of things going wrong and not being able to find someone to help with repairs.

Then again, buy it if you like it but don’t buy it as an investment piece (like the art on board).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Agree wholeheartedly....especially about the art.

Things go wrong. Hard to get customer service or support from a company who retails jewelry on a ship(s) which sells in international waters.

That said, I bought a Tag on a ship once which ended up having issues right after I got home from the cruise. Tag stepped up and took care of it with their international warranty. It wasn’t even an issue with the watch itself. It was an issue with the bracelet on the watch. They replaced the entire watch and bracelet (although it took a month to resolve).

... have a Rolex that my (then) wife bought for me about 15 years ago ... genuine ... long overdue for some maintenance (according to Rolex) ... estimate for maintenance on it and was SHOCKED how much just routine maintenance cost.

It still keeps time. It's still in good shape. It shows a little wear. So, I'm happy with it. Unfortunately, I don't wear it much these days ...

How are you doing these days, one of these days, we are going to run into each other again at another M&G like last year.

Tell me about the full service maintenance by an official R service center, almost as much as getting a minor tune-up for a BWM or Lexus, ouch.

I've owned a basic "Air King" since 1986, paid about $750 USD for it while visiting HKG then, and a pair of DateJust 18K gold, those are about 10 years old - all due for service. Just not so sure about spending $400 to $500 (USD) for the Air King and even for the DateJust ... although, I could get the same tune-up & service done by other service center for less. (Last time I got the AK serviced in Hong Kong, which was a while ago ... cost less than $70 USD, if I'm not mistaken, turnaround time was about a week.)

Edited by mking8288

How are you doing these days, one of these days, we are going to run into each other again at another M&G like last year.

Tell me about the full service maintenance by an official R service center, almost as much as getting a minor tune-up for a BWM or Lexus, ouch.

I've owned a basic "Air King" since 1986, paid about $750 USD for it while visiting HKG then, and a pair of DateJust 18K gold, those are about 10 years old - all due for service. Just not so sure about spending $400 to $500 (USD) for the Air King and even for the DateJust ... although, I could get the same tune-up & service done by other service center for less. (Last time I got the AK serviced in Hong Kong, which was a while ago ... cost less than $70 USD, if I'm not mistaken, turnaround time was about a week.)

Hey.....good to hear from you. I’m headed out on the Getaway this coming Sunday. You sailed since the Gem?

I have an Oyster Datejust. Same prices for maintenance. I could take a cruise for what they want at an authorized service center.

Would love to see you guys again onboard.

Hey.....I’m headed out on the Getaway this coming Sunday. You sailed since the Gem?

I have an Oyster Datejust. Same prices for maintenance ... could take a cruise for what they want at an authorized service center. Would love to see you guys again onboard.

Nah, been grounded & no plans to sail the Gem any time soon - possibly looking at the Dawn a little further downstream (we had a tour of its Garden Villa back in 2003, wow - unbelievable then) - that was an incredible Cabin Crawl put together on the Gem by Pat & Jim, and, CC members sharing & showing theirs.

Next on our radar is the Escape to Bermuda this Halloween, headcounts for the roll call already in the triple digits ... maybe, while DW checkout the LV store, I'll walk down Front Street and window shop the display cases on what's new & retail prices.

Have a safe, wonderful & smooth sailing this Sunday - keep your eyes on those hurricane heading toward the US mainland, could be a rough one - with Helene possibly coming right behind Florence. Going to shop for another Rolex in the Carib's ?? - not so sure about getting a nice deal but the wide choices & selections on display are nice ... or, get a diamond bezel/dial upgrade :halo:for your Oyster ?

Nah, been grounded & no plans to sail the Gem any time soon - possibly looking at the Dawn a little further downstream (we had a tour of its Garden Villa back in 2003, wow - unbelievable then) - that was an incredible Cabin Crawl put together on the Gem by Pat & Jim, and, CC members sharing & showing theirs.

Next on our radar is the Escape to Bermuda this Halloween, headcounts for the roll call already in the triple digits ... maybe, while DW checkout the LV store, I'll walk down Front Street and window shop the display cases on what's new & retail prices.

Have a safe, wonderful & smooth sailing this Sunday - keep your eyes on those hurricane heading toward the US mainland, could be a rough one - with Helene possibly coming right behind Florence. Going to shop for another Rolex in the Carib's ?? - not so sure about getting a nice deal but the wide choices & selections on display are nice ... or, get a diamond bezel/dial upgrade :halo:for your Oyster ?

Thanks....love Bermuda. Was last there on the Breakaway a few years ago.

No plans for a “diamond” Rolex bezel or dial.

I always shop watches at the different ports. Sometimes I see something I like, most times I don’t. One Rolex is enough for me. I’ve yet to see another that I’d be willing to plunk down any money for.

If you’ve seen one Diamonds International, you’ve seen them all, anyway (with the ever present hovering sales person).

Several years ago I saw an Oris that I loved in a small (but high quaIity) off the drag jewelry store. The owner was a real expert and loved Oris and Ball (my two favorite brands). I debated buying it, thinking I could find it back home. Have never seen it again. Been on the lookout ever since. May take another trip to Cozumel.

Weather is looking dicey coming out of Miami on Sunday.

Because of work, I was not going to be able to fly in to Miami until Sunday a.m. Decided to rearrange (a lot) of meetings, which was quite a feat considering the gyrations I went through. Now I am flying into FLL tomorrow and driving down to Miami.

Truthfully, even if we skip some ports because of weather, I’m OK with it. I knew I was trading a cheap fare for such an eventuality.

Totally agree about Pat(ricia) and Jim. What marvelous M&G organizers. Hope to sail again with them and you guys.

Happy sailing!

Edited by graphicguy

• 3 weeks later...

A few years ago while on the Celebrity Silhouette, I went in the Breitling store and bought the Breitling Super Avenger II. After pricing it out in the states, I bought it for almost $1,000 less (and don't forget that on the ship there is no sales tax). This was not a used watch but brand new with warranty. 2 years later, on the same ship, I bought my wife a Breitling loaded with diamonds from the same store.

You're missing our point. The sentimental value of something is priceless. A catalogue, a website.....no memories associated with it.

DH bought me a diamond/sapphire dolphin pendant last time the ship docked in San Juan. I absolutely didn't need it....actually didn't even want it (how many dolphin pendants do I need?) but DH wanted me to remember that trip.

I agree that this is the right reason to buy jewelry on vacation. You still have to do your due diligence and buy from a reputable source, though.

Sent from my H3321 using Forums mobile app