Review of NCL Dawn August 24, 2018 Boston to Bermuda with pictures

Match Game 72

Saturday was a day at sea. We explored more of the ship. Throughout the week, we had no problem finding a lounger to use. We do not sit by the pool, however, since we prefer a quiet area.

Here are some pictures of the atrium. It's nice but not as spectacular as some newer ships like the MSC Seaside.

Looking down from a juliette balcony near the elevators.

DSCN4648_zpstkmnijsq.jpg

DSCN4648_zpstkmnijsq.jpgDSCN4652_zps9x55nhag.jpg

• Like 1

Here's an exciting picture that you won't see anywhere else.

The staircase near the atrium.

DSCN4650_zpsgfxqeqlk.jpg

I found the Dawn very easy to get around. Because it's a smaller ship with fewer decks of cabins than newer ships, it seemed like we often climbed or descended just 2 or 3 flights of stairs. It was very easy to avoid the elevators.

I also used the fitness center five times. It was clean, and I never had a wait for an elliptical machine.

The Latitudes party was held on Saturday at 12:30 in the Bliss Lounge. It was not crowded at all. Drinks served included non alcoholic punch, rum punch, white wine, and sparkling wine. Canapes were also served. We spoke with a couple of officers - the housekeeping manager and one other (but I don't remember his title).

There was a band playing as well. I think it was the Dawn's show band, and they were the best live entertainment we heard all week. We really enjoyed the gathering.

DSCN4660_zps7hw9ujoj.jpg

The band. I didn't see anyone dancing.

DSCN4660_zps7hw9ujoj.jpg

After the Latitudes party, we enjoyed a late lunch at O'Sheehan's. We would eat there one more time during the week for lunch.

We ordered nachos, fish & chips, and Caesar salad with salmon. The salad/salmon was the best of the three dishes. I thought the portion sizes were fine. Certainly they are not as large as US restaurants provide, but I often find those too large. If you think the portions are too small, feel free to order another serving.

DSCN4665_zpsz0dvbipl.jpg

DSCN4666_zpsqwotgtvm.jpg

DSCN4667_zps85xy1efw.jpg

DSCN4668_zpsypcndmtq.jpg

• Like 1

We waited until about an hour after the announcement to go ashore. We were in no rush and preferred not to stand in line. Here are some pictures of the Dawn docked at the Royal Naval Dockyard. The last time were were there was seven years prior, and it has certainly been developed!

When we returned, the NCL tent had face towels and cool drinks. There was also a towel exchange.

DSCN4693_zpswpe06vco.jpg

A view towards the aft of the Dawn

d5f17b9d-a996-4885-ad77-fbae97fc26cb_zpsnq1ykjv1.jpg

Painting the hull

DSCN4694_zpsy2ciy8ta.jpg

We decided to go for a walk along the promenade deck after lunch. One of my favorite things about the Dawn is the promenade which goes all the way around the exterior of the ship without obstacles.
Correct me if I am wrong, but, the Dawn's promenade does not go all the way around, either the front or the back isn't accessible, right? We love walking on the promenade and as I recall, you had to cut through the ship at one end to get to the other side. Or am I mis-remembering? As much as we love the new ships, the one thing we really miss are the promenade decks that completely circled the ships as you would find on all the older ships.

I assume they still had no chairs or loungers on the promenade?

Great review - thank you for doing it.

Correct me if I am wrong, but, the Dawn's promenade does not go all the way around, either the front or the back isn't accessible, right? We love walking on the promenade and as I recall, you had to cut through the ship at one end to get to the other side. Or am I mis-remembering? As much as we love the new ships, the one thing we really miss are the promenade decks that completely circled the ships as you would find on all the older ships.

I assume they still had no chairs or loungers on the promenade?

Great review - thank you for doing it.

Hello!

Yes, the Dawn's promenade goes all the way around the deck without having to cut through or turn around. At the front of the ship, there is a section which is enclosed. Along the sides of the ship, some loungers were available, but just a few.

We decided to take a walk around the perimeter of the Dockyard. We walked past the mini bus area to Calico Jack's. We saw some folks jumping from Calico Jack's, and it seemed like they were having a fun time.

DSCN4705_zpsftdin7oc.jpg

It's directly next to an old fort which has been transformed into a museum and dolphin swim. My relative was here in April and enjoyed the museum.

DSCN4706_zpsidokvvin.jpg

DSCN4707_zpsrz4tyj3g.jpg

DSCN4711_zpsk5ajuu15.jpg

DSCN4712_zpsy4yfmsrw.jpg

Our next stop was the Clocktower Mall where we saw this friendly little statue. Along the way we passed the Dockyard Pharmacy. It's fairly convenient if you need something.

DSCN4714_zps5qu2j6s4.jpg

There are quite a few shops in the Clocktower Mall. Plus there is air conditioning, and it was quite hot (85F) and sunny out. We did a little shopping and then decided to head back to the Dawn for soft serve ice cream.

DSCN4710_zpsy5u6wswq.jpg

It's been quite a few years since to cruised on the Dawn so I'm really enjoying your trip report and thanks for adding photos.

Thanks, Oakman58. This is my first time posting pictures. It took me a bit to figure it out, but photobucket is working well.

Since we went to Horseshoe Bay on Tuesday as well, I will combine our two days in this review. Both days we took a minibus from the Dockyard to the parking lot of the beach. It cost $7 USD one way for each adult.

On Monday morning, the minibuses were lined up close to the Dawn. On Tuesday morning, they were in their official spot between the Dawn and our new neighbor, RCCL's Grandeur of the Seas.

DSCN4721_zps2sc6weaj.jpg

In total, we had four minibus rides, and each one was different. Our first driver gave us a brief tour of where we were driving. One driver barely spoke. Another driver answered a few questions from the riders. But the final drive back to the Dockyard was my favorite. Our driver was hilarious! He made jokes, pointed out sea turtles along the way, and even had a soundtrack for us to seat-dance a bit. Outstanding - and we told him as much.

Our first minibus after being dropped off at Horseshoe Bay.

IMAG0002_zpsmiwlpzzt.jpg

We're very grateful for the pictures as they allow us to live through you until next week when it will be our turn!

No problem...I have a method on posting the pictures now. :) I hope you have a wonderful trip! I normally expect that something will "go wrong" like a minor annoyance that we will have to laugh off. But really, this was about as ideal as it could get!

Horseshoe Bay Beach has a number of amenities: rinse showers, foot rinses, bathrooms, the Rum Bum Beach Bar, and chair/umbrella rentals.

IMAG0005_zpsplxc0jis.jpg

Food price list

183dae3b-149e-40eb-aaf8-112fe6f606ce_zpsjivscklb.jpg

Since we had a large breakfast on the ship, we did not eat there, but we saw others having lunch later in the day. It looked good.

On Monday, we stopped there for a can of soda and bottle of ice tea. $7 for both

On Tuesday, we enjoyed two rum swizzles. Small is $7 each. Large is $10 each.