Website Problems

Kynana

I have had no luck using an ipad. I do better with my laptop but it is still a very awkward website. We also cruise a lot on Princess and their website is a dream in comparison. I prefer to do my own bookings directly with cruise companies because I dislike having to wait for TA to get back to me but I think in future I will use a TA to book with HAL.

I thought I'd try one more time on the HAL site and experienced the same problem. If I log on, I can't get beyond the guarantee stateroom area. My computer is up-to-date, so the problem nothing to do with that. I deleted the cookies on my computer the HAL website thinking that might help, but that did nothing.

How Holland America can operate efficiently and profitably with such a sorry website is beyond me.

Edited by Kynana

Hola! Wondering... has anyone tried raising these website concerns directly to HAL's pres? Not sure if there is a way to actually do that or maybe he is already aware of these issues and choosing not to act. What really gets me -- and probably another reason why I'll be switching to a different cruise line in the future -- is, in terms of the website, HAL thinks that they know what's best for their customers. Learning a new site is fine, but inducing customers to learn a new site that is totally counterintuitive is a waste of time on the customers' part, unfortunately. This experience reminds me so much of Ron Johnson's tenure at JCP. Apart from the wonderful customer service and hard-working onboard staff... HAL's corporate folks and IT seem to be very money-driven more so than customer driven or user-research driven. Maybe they are unable to revert back to old site due to potential financial loss (could it be that it was built by third-party vendors rather than relying on the abundant tech/IT professionals in Seattle area?). But settle the losses and gain back valuable customer base by making small adjustments to the old site. Walk before you run. Princess Cruises, the sister cruise line, has a pretty good site ... but they probably can't or won't help HAL out and don't want anything to do with HAL's site. understandable... I bet no one in Seattle's tech scene wants to go near the HAL site either. Of course, as a business, I hope HAL floats long enough for the thousands of onboard staff to retain their jobs. But I've lost hope that corporate HAL will ever fix their site... so I'm out. :(

Hola! Wondering... has anyone tried raising these website concerns directly to HAL's pres? Not sure if there is a way to actually do that or maybe he is already aware of these issues and choosing not to act. What really gets me -- and probably another reason why I'll be switching to a different cruise line in the future -- is, in terms of the website, HAL thinks that they know what's best for their customers. Learning a new site is fine, but inducing customers to learn a new site that is totally counterintuitive is a waste of time on the customers' part, unfortunately. This experience reminds me so much of Ron Johnson's tenure at JCP. Apart from the wonderful customer service and hard-working onboard staff... HAL's corporate folks and IT seem to be very money-driven more so than customer driven or user-research driven. Maybe they are unable to revert back to old site due to potential financial loss (could it be that it was built by third-party vendors rather than relying on the abundant tech/IT professionals in Seattle area?). But settle the losses and gain back valuable customer base by making small adjustments to the old site. Walk before you run. Princess Cruises, the sister cruise line, has a pretty good site ... but they probably can't or won't help HAL out and don't want anything to do with HAL's site. understandable... I bet no one in Seattle's tech scene wants to go near the HAL site either. Of course, as a business, I hope HAL floats long enough for the thousands of onboard staff to retain their jobs. But I've lost hope that corporate HAL will ever fix their site... so I'm out. :(

There are numerous online contacts for Orlando Ashford, President of Holland America Lines. Here is his twitter link: https://twitter.com/oashford

You described the new website problems well - it is counter-intutitive. Clumsy, awkward, inefficient, annoying, and often malfunctioning works too.