Which Alaska Cruise?

Keishaw

Hi Cruisers,

I know this will be a very BROAD question, but I need to start somewhere.

We've just returned from our first cruise (RC - Mariner of the Seas 12/11/05) and we are officially hooked, of course! My 78-year-old FIL was so impressed, he wants me to look into Alaska asap for this summer. Aside from him, we have me (42), DH (45) and 2 DS's (15 & 12). My older boy was probably the most impressed of all of us - he had a blast with Fuel and the whole social-scene, although the amount of kids was a bit scarce for his liking. We will be looking at July or preferably August, so I assume the amount of teenagers will be the highest then...

Given our range of ages and the fact that RCI has set the bar pretty high (from what I hear), can anyone suggest the perfect Alaska 7-day Vancouver-return or Seattle-return cruise? With enough potential teen activity to keep everybody happy?

We want the return cruises because we live in Victoria (yes I know it's silly that we haven't done this before now!), and want to avoid the extra cost of flying. So a Victoria stop-over would be a bit of a waste on us - we can't even disembark in Victoria - we'd have to disembark in Seattle and then travel back.

I'm leaning towards the Serenade of the Seas, but I haven't looked very hard yet. I'm open to all cruiselines and suggestions (and would gladly answer Victoria questions if anyone has any too).

Many thanks,

Karen

Overall expect far fewer kids compared to the Caribbean. :) If you want one of the "best", Consider the round trip Vancouver HAL which include Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm, just a superior routing.

If you stick with RCI, I would see if a round trip Vancouver sailing includes Hoonah, (Icy Strait Point) then go with that. There aren't any "bad " cruises in Alaska, do your homework by spending some time and reading back on this board, all the information you'll need. Several factors in Alaska cruises to consider, ports, time in ports, route, glacier, ship naturalist, price. Budget fully for costly excursions, they are half your trip. :)

Thanks for the thoughts.

I know to expect less kids ... I'd just hate to pick a line that has close to none! I'm assuming in July and August there will be at least a small assortment on most ships. If my son is that worried about it, we'll send him to summercamp instead!!:D

I will be reading back lots on these boards, I just wanted a few suggestions for at least somewhere to start, so thanks for those tips. Hearing from someone who has had an outstanding trip with approximately our age group range (12-78) would be great. But glad to hear we can't go wrong...

So seeing Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm provides for the best route for picturesque views or the excursion possibilities ... or both?

Karen

Thanks for the thoughts.

I know to expect less kids ... I'd just hate to pick a line that has close to none! I'm assuming in July and August there will be at least a small assortment on most ships. If my son is that worried about it, we'll send him to summercamp instead!!:D

I will be reading back lots on these boards, I just wanted a few suggestions for at least somewhere to start, so thanks for those tips. Hearing from someone who has had an outstanding trip with approximately our age group range (12-78) would be great. But glad to hear we can't go wrong...

So seeing Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm provides for the best route for picturesque views or the excursion possibilities ... or both?

Karen

For glacier viewing, yes, ideal is the unique HAL double glacier sailings, on their round trip vancouver. Otherwise, I do give a big edge to Glacier Bay. But any glacier will be of interest and worthwhile. :)

When our children were around the ages of your children we went to Alaska twice with them on Celebrity cruise ships. While there are fewer children that go to Alaska than say the Caribbean, there were more than enough children on board. By the way Royal Caribbean owns Celebrity, but runs them as a separate line.

Our experiences on Celebrity with the children were wonderful. They were great for the children and great for the adults and they now have been doing Alaska for a number of years which I think is important.

You can go to their web site at celebritycruises.com and click Alaska under destinations. During the summer they have two great ships that are in Alaska. One of the two does Vancouver R/T

Alaska is a great place to cruise to.

Keith

We have traveled on several cruises with kids over the years. We are going on the Serenade of the Seas in July with our kids ages 7,10,19,21. They are very excited. We chose RCCL because of their youth programs. This will be a completely different experience than the Caribbean. We know that. But I also believe there will be plenty of other kids in all age ranges at this time of year. We are all very excited about it.

Thanks Keith and Suni and Budgetqueen,

I'm starting to think that we can't go wrong with either RCCL or Celebrity.

Have you experienced both? Are they pretty comparable overall? I'd love to talk to someone who can compare apples to oranges for me... I've read lots of reviews so far which are great, but I have no concept of how the 2 lines really differ, or if they do at all.

Now if only we could find a great deal on 2 balcony cabins... (I'm not going to hold my breath!!)

Karen

We are on Serenade of the Seas-RCCI-...( we= me, SO, and DDs-17&18) this July it goes from Vancouver, outside to Hubbard Glaicer, to Juneau, adn Skegway via the inside passage. 7days. The only thing is the port stop in Ketchikan has been cancled ( dont know why...or if this is common) and <drumroll> Victioia put in it's place...so you might want to be sure to check...unless you'd want to 'run by the house' for anything midway thru your trip;)

**Anything fun to do while we're in Victororia docked for 5 hours? Any suggestions appreciated...all I could find was the 'gardens excursion' , didn't really tickle my fancy**

As far as HAL, reading about the Ryndam piqued my interest with the teens area complete with 2-story waterfall. I'll have to investigate that further.

Parrotthead: Good to know about that replacement stop in Victoria - I'll watch for that! We could visit our dog for 5 hours! Or water our plants! Not.

As far as stuff to do in Victoria, perhaps give me a general idea of what you're interested in (shopping, hiking, museums, etc) and I could make some suggestions. Some activities (ie whale-watching?) may require more than the time you've got available.

If you are spa people, one thing that I've heard is a well-kept secret with some tourists (and that they actually plan their trip around!) is a particular spa school that offers great treatments at a fraction of the usual cost. Bear in mind it is a school and it wouldn't work if your stopover day was a weekend of holiday or at night. If that interests you, let me know and I'll include the link.

There are some totally fascinating ghost stories here (I have a few of my own!) and I know there are some tours focusing on that.

Karen

We are going on the Nor. Star in July 9 for diff. reasons. I have 2 children and this trip is roundtrip out of Seattle. Alot of families because of price needs in and out of one city etc. I know things are changing but Hal has always been known to be more for older. The Nor. has freestyle cruising so it helps with not having to have so many nice clothes for set dinners, because I have to buy new everything for my kids everytime we go on a cruise they have changed sizes. I have heard that there are alot of families because it is alittle more casually. Also because everyone says if you see a glacier for first time that Glacier Bay is best, and this cruise does that. I think any cruise in the main pt. of summer will have kids, look at where they go, prices etc. and pick what is best for you. Question about Victoria, we will only be there from 6-12 at night. What would be good to do with the kids 10 and 15. I don't think they would want to go to gardens or tea which is offered. Is there things to do around the dock, water at night. Or do they do any boat rides at night. Thanks

There is a cute little Inner Harbour Ferry which runs all day and into the evening. One of the 3 stops is at a wharfside Fish and Chips place called Barb's. If you get off there for a while, there are always harbour seals around (every time I've been there anyway) and you can buy food and they'll come right up and eat out of your hand. Aside from the little ferry, you can probably find a boat and captain in the harbour willing do to a short tour.

The inner harbour is hopping in the summer - the whole causeway is filled with magicians, comedians, musicians (all need to be licensed by the city, so are screened and found to be decent quality). So a stroll around the whole inner harbour can be quite entertaining, and a stroll through the Empress Hotel while you're there. The double-decker tours and tally-ho (horse drawn carriage) tours are pretty good too, although probably not as entertaining for the kids as some of the stuff you'd see in the inner harbour.

Karen

ps I know what you mean about the kid's clothes - I'm hoping the formal wear I bought for them for our recent cruise would fit them this summer, but what're the chances? :)

Thanks Keishaw! Very kind of you to offer suggestions,(aye) ;) .

I had actually looked at the harbour boat thing...that did look cool...is walking around that area pretty safe? I had also seen, on the Vicoria website, a place called (something like) Wharfside Eatery (?) any reviews on that ..or even heard of it? Is any of these thing near where the Cruise ships dock? We like to shop...probably touristy stuff...the usual...DDs(17&18) very excieted aobut getting to go to Canada...more than just the airport in Vancouver.:p So, really any suggestions are very welcome.

Also, I hear and read that Victoria (and Cancda in general) has a pretty opend-midned attuitude about (shall we put it) Alternitive Lifestyles(we think thats great)...Do you know,is there a certin area of town where 'AL' or 'AL friendly' shops or cafes are located or are they generally intergrated?

Thank you again for your help!

-Kandy:cool:

Hello Karen (KEISHAW),

anyone has his own taste. Said this, my favorite is Celebrity´s Infinity, a little bit behind comes RCI´s Serenade. So, its up to you to make a choice. Maybe for the kids Royal Caribbean is more favourable.

After our Alaska-Cruise in July we will go to Victoria and Tofino. Whistler, Clearwater, Jasper, Lake Louise and Banff will be visited by us as well.

For Victoria we have choosen the Queen Victotria near the Inner harbour. What do you think abaout this hotel?

Regards

Peter

Thanks Keishaw! Very kind of you to offer suggestions,(aye) ;) .

We spell it "eh!", eh?:rolleyes:

...is walking around that area pretty safe? I had also seen, on the Vicoria website, a place called (something like) Wharfside Eatery (?) any reviews on that ..or even heard of it? Is any of these thing near where the Cruise ships dock? We like to shop...

I would have to say it's very safe, especially if you're together. I'd still avoid dark alleys at night by yourself, but it's very safe. Wharfside is good, although I haven't eaten there in years - the last time I was there the prices seemed a little inflated. I'd also recommend Milestone's - it's great, with one of the best views around. You'd probably want to take a cab down to the inner harbour from the cruise dock, although you might consider it walkable.

...is there a certin area of town where 'AL' or 'AL friendly' shops or cafes are located or are they generally intergrated?

You would probably find what what I think you're referring to if you stroll along Government Street, Johnson Street, Pandora Ave. and in the Market Square area. Specifically, try 642 Johnson and 1325 Government.:) And yes, open-minded would describe MOST things Canadian, especially on the westcoast. You will find lots of great shopping in this area, so you can't go wrong.

Karen

Peter:

...my favorite is Celebrity´s Infinity, a little bit behind comes RCI´s Serenade.
My Travel Agent is currently holding cabins for us on the Infinity, the Serenade and HAL's Zuiderdam. Decisions, decisions!!!

For Victoria we have choosen the Queen Victotria near the Inner harbour. What do you think abaout this hotel?
I don't personally know anyone who has stayed there, but it's a very nice hotel from what I've seen and heard around town. It's probably one of the best locations you can get, for sure, central to everything. And I do know their restaurant Samuel's is really excellent - my sister and brother-in-law eat there regularly, and he's a chef (I figure that says something)! I personally always read user reviews on hotels at www.tripadvisor.com

If you haven't booked near Tofino yet, I'd highly recommend Middle Beach Lodge. www.middlebeach.com

My hubby's family is from Germany (Swartzwald), so when we head over that way I may need advice on where to go in the north!

Karen

I don't personally know anyone who has stayed there, but it's a very nice hotel from what I've seen and heard around town. It's probably one of the best locations you can get, for sure, central to everything. And I do know their restaurant Samuel's is really excellent - my sister and brother-in-law eat there regularly, and he's a chef (I figure that says something)! I personally always read user reviews on hotels at www.tripadvisor.com

/QUOTE]

Karen,

thank you very much.

We´re looking forward to your exciting Island.

We will stay in a very nice B&B downtown Tofino.

Peter

Archived