Jewel or Dawn...Which Would You Choose

Yo Adrienne

I am in the camp of go with the ship you've not been sailed, the Dawn. My last two trips with NCL have been on the Dawn post refurbishment. I have also sailed on the Getaway and the Escape when they were in their first year of service.

The Dawn:

- More recently refurbished

- Los Lobos Mexican restaurant

- Mondavi Wine bar onboard

I will be sailing the Pearl in December taking my own advice, sail a different ship, so no the Dawn in 2018.

Edited by Nola26

Other than being a little harder to navigate...were there any other real downsides to the Dawn that you saw/experienced...?

Thanks so much...! :)

I can't think of a single down side to the Dawn other than the lay out and it isn't that bad, just need to remember there are a couple decks where you have to go up one deck or down one to get from the forward to the aft part of the ship. For us Spinnigers (spelling) lounge isn't an issue. Yes, nice but we don't spend that much time on a ship just relaxing unless we are in the atrium relaxing and people watching or reading in our cabin, something like that. For others it seems to make a difference

Edited by newmexicoNita

Thank you...! Indeed, we briefly considered one of those suites you mention without the balcony (DOS)...but think that even though the suite might be beautiful, we'd miss the balcony too much...!

And same for us, too...in doing research and looking at pics, we're thinking we might miss Spinnaker too much, too...!

Where are you headed in November...? :)

Spinnaker on the Sun was where I attended my first ANZAC Day, was great to honor the military from down under, get the latest rugby scores.

The Jewel is being refurbished too... We are sailing next January on her

Completed Cruises:

1. Celebrity Solstice - 10nt South Pacific Cruise 18th January 2015: Stateroom 8287 Obstructed Balcony

2. Ovation of the Seas - 14nt New Zealand Cruise 9th January 2017: Stateroom 13270 Balcony

Upcoming Cruises:

1. Norwegian Jewel - 13nt South Pacific and Queensland Cruise 5 January 2019: Stateroom 10544 Balcony

The Jewel is being refurbished too... We are sailing next January on her

Completed Cruises:

1. Celebrity Solstice - 10nt South Pacific Cruise 18th January 2015: Stateroom 8287 Obstructed Balcony

2. Ovation of the Seas - 14nt New Zealand Cruise 9th January 2017: Stateroom 13270 Balcony

Upcoming Cruises:

1. Norwegian Jewel - 13nt South Pacific and Queensland Cruise 5 January 2019: Stateroom 10544 Balcony

Keep us updated on your cruise vacations. Sitting on pins and needles.

Keep us updated on your cruise vacations. Sitting on pins and needles.

Haha will try[emoji28]

Completed Cruises:

Upcoming Cruises:

Edited by Nathan_Khoury
Answer wasn't applicable

The Jewel refurbishment thread:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2615856

October Refurbishment on Jewel

Completed Cruises:

Upcoming Cruises:

Edited by Nathan_Khoury

:( NCL turned Dawn /Star into the worst ships in the fleet moving Spinnakers off deck 12 :loudcry:

I find it hard to believe that anyone would think, turning Spinnakers into something else would turn the ship from a great ship to the worst in the fleet. WOW that seems like a pretty strong reaction.

I find it hard to believe that anyone would think, turning Spinnakers into something else would turn the ship from a great ship to the worst in the fleet. WOW that seems like a pretty strong reaction.

Before Dawn was Rebuilt and sent to Boston she was the Queen of New York, the Pride of the fleet. :hearteyes:

Now Her return to N.Y. Is not wanted by many. :(

J.M.H.O.

Before Dawn was Rebuilt and sent to Boston she was the Queen of New York, the Pride of the fleet. [emoji813]eyes:

Now Her return to N.Y. Is not wanted by many. :(

J.M.H.O.

Maybe it's her age?

I personally while liked our cruises on Gem am not very happy about this swap. I much prefer atrium on Dawn and Star.

If only they would turn Dawns into adult area...