Emergency Contact Info for Online Checkin

calmpets

I am travelling with my entire extended family on a cruise next March, and some of us are having trouble deciding who to use as an emergency contact. I assume it should be someone not travelling with you, but I am curious what would cause NCL to contact your emergency person in the first place? Any feedback would be helpful. Thanks!

I am travelling with my entire extended family on a cruise next March, and some of us are having trouble deciding who to use as an emergency contact. I assume it should be someone not travelling with you, but I am curious what would cause NCL to contact your emergency person in the first place? Any feedback would be helpful. Thanks!

I would not obsess about it any. Depending on who is cruising with us, we just pick a random family member or friend and put their name and number there. It's a field to fill out on the on-line form. We normally use my brother, but have never told him that.

I had often wondered the same thing until it actually happened. We were leaving out of New Orleans for a cruise and it was when Tropical storm Lee was hitting the area. We caught the last flight into New Orleans before the airport closed. NCL called our emergency contacts, which were both sets of parents to let them know that the cruise would be delayed for two days. Even though we were made aware of it, it was nice that our parents got the heads up while we were traveling and not able to communicate with them yet.

I had often wondered the same thing until it actually happened. We were leaving out of New Orleans for a cruise and it was when Tropical storm Lee was hitting the area. We caught the last flight into New Orleans before the airport closed. NCL called our emergency contacts, which were both sets of parents to let them know that the cruise would be delayed for two days. Even though we were made aware of it, it was nice that our parents got the heads up while we were traveling and not able to communicate with them yet.

That seems a little overkill when the passenger is an adult. I would think the emergency contact would be used when you are seriously sick, injured, or deceased. The ship running late doesn’t require intervention from an emergency contact.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That seems a little overkill when the passenger is an adult. I would think the emergency contact would be used when you are seriously sick, injured, or deceased. The ship running late doesn’t require intervention from an emergency contact.

It does if you have pets, and your pet sitter needs to know that you’re going to be gone another two days.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It does if you have pets, and your pet sitter needs to know that you’re going to be gone another two days.

I wouldn’t put my pet sitter as an emergency contact... if I die onboard they don’t need to deal with repatriating my remains... which IMO is the main reason for an emergency contact. If I’m alive and conscious, I can tell them who to call. That’s mainly needed if I’m not and turns out that I’m not traveling with immediate family.

I wouldn’t put my pet sitter as an emergency contact... if I die onboard they don’t need to deal with repatriating my remains... which IMO is the main reason for an emergency contact. If I’m alive and conscious, I can tell them who to call. That’s mainly needed if I’m not and turns out that I’m not traveling with immediate family.

I don't think xriva meant that he would put a pet sitter as an emergency contact, but rather that whomever has been designated as the emergency contact could inform the pet sitter that her services would be needed for two more days because the ship will be arriving back to port late.

I don't think xriva meant that he would put a pet sitter as an emergency contact, but rather that whomever has been designated as the emergency contact could inform the pet sitter that her services would be needed for two more days because the ship will be arriving back to port late.

Exactly. “Oh, they’re just going to be late” can be a big deal, and there are people (pet sitters, work) that need to be notified, and it’s much cheaper and easier from a land line that is probably in the same time zone than it is from a ship at sea.

If everyone of your group won't be going on all of the same excursions at the same time, I wouldn't stress to much.

For example, If your extended family on the cruise consists of 16 people, but on each invidual exursion there would be at most 15 people on that particular excusion, then the non-participant could be a POC that the cruise line can track down on-board, if there is an life-therenting emergency that impacted your excursion.

In regards to pet-sitters and storm based extension of cruises. Generally cruise lines offer free Internet access so people can start to rearrange flights etc. You can use this to contact you pet setter.