Jewel still in port in Vancouver

sergeant655

What time did The Jewel actually leave Vancouver? They were not scheduled to leave until about 1 A.M. Because of the time of scheduled for departure, there was a lot of discussion on the Roll Call as to what time the Muster Drill would be held.

Pretty sure you're confusing this trip with another, e.g. the Bliss which has to do a VERY late arrival/departure to make use of lowest tides and enable getting under the bridge - your first post had wrong time and route, Jewel is already in Alaska and did not go via Victoria.

While I'm not familiar with the specific insurance policy OP mentions, these sorts of 'fixed payout for meeting criteria' policy terms are more common in Europe. Nationwide has always been innovative for a US insurer, so perhaps standardizing modest payouts will become more normal in the US market too - look how many other companies have jumped on the 'use the app to file your claim' method that they were the first to use?

Pretty sure you're confusing this trip with another, e.g. the Bliss which has to do a VERY late arrival/departure to make use of lowest tides and enable getting under the bridge - your first post had wrong time and route, Jewel is already in Alaska and did not go via Victoria.

While I'm not familiar with the specific insurance policy OP mentions, these sorts of 'fixed payout for meeting criteria' policy terms are more common in Europe. Nationwide has always been innovative for a US insurer, so perhaps standardizing modest payouts will become more normal in the US market too - look how many other companies have jumped on the 'use the app to file your claim' method that they were the first to use?

From a note posted on the 80th page for The Jewel's Roll Call, they left Vancouver about midnight. They were scheduled after midnight. According to what is being posted on the Roll Call, only one cargo door and forklift was loading pallets of supplies. That would take forever.

The Bliss left Seattle ONE hour late waiting for a beer delivery according to the Beverage Manager.

Yeah, no financial loss, no insurance compensation.

I was also trying to figure out what was being compensated and where the loss occurred. Money for the sake of getting it? I’m just confused on this one. One’s slight aggravation isn’t compensable (if only it were, lots of drivers on the road would owe me BIG TIME - I’m talking to you people under the age of 65 {bc I forgive those over 65} who are in the fast lane going way too slow! :( ). To have a case, someone would have to prove things like the cruise line was negligent in some way, it was due to something within its control, it was not the fault of some other entity (people delivery the food broke down), and that some true harm occurred. I’m trying to imagine the judge’s face as someone explains how caused them great painful to be on that huge floating resort with free food and likely free drinks, with almost every kind of recreation, because for a few hours it sat in port vs being at sea :o:'):'):')

What time did The Jewel actually leave Vancouver? They were not scheduled to leave until about 1 A.M. Because of the time of scheduled for departure, there was a lot of discussion on the Roll Call as to what time the Muster Drill would be held.

Muster happened in the afternoon. Around 4pm. They made announcements that we were late so I doubt there was any expectation that we were leaving after midnight.

What is your problem?

This is coverage for "inconvenience", NOT loss of money/etc.

There was no inconvenience. You did not miss a connection. You did not have to purchase meals. You did not have to spend extra time sitting in a waiting area. You suffered no mental anguish.

My problem is that claims for this sort of situation contribute to higher premiums.

There was no inconvenience. You did not miss a connection. You did not have to purchase meals. You did not have to spend extra time sitting in a waiting area. You suffered no mental anguish.

My problem is that claims for this sort of situation contribute to higher premiums.

OMGoodness.

If *you* did not purchase a policy like this, then your premium is not going to the claims.

Their beancounters are pricing each policy type per their best estimates of the likelihood of claims, etc.

...and btw, *I* do NOT have a policy like this, and have zero interest in it., and we were not on any delayed cruise.

I am not the OP.

But these policies are sold, and some people purchase them.

Just as we do purchase CFAR coverage, which some people think is a waste.

... and WE pay extra for that CFAR coverage. Those who do not have CFAR do *not* pay that extra.

Just because you don't like or don't approve of a certain type of insurance, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Did you read the second half of MartinCath's post above?

Apparently these types of policies are more frequent elsewhere (e.g., not in the USA). I wasn't aware of that, because we didn't pay that much attention to them.

But when I started reading about them on the CC Travel Insurance sub-forum, I was curious.

In a way, it seems more like "gambling" (if X happens, you win $Y), given that it is not related to a "loss".

But I assume that the insurance commissioners in SOME states have approved it, whereas in other states, they seem not to have approved it, and perhaps it's due to this particular nature (??).

GC

From a note posted on the 80th page for The Jewel's Roll Call, they left Vancouver about midnight. They were scheduled after midnight. According to what is being posted on the Roll Call, only one cargo door and forklift was loading pallets of supplies. That would take forever.

The Bliss left Seattle ONE hour late waiting for a beer delivery according to the Beverage Manager.

I was talking about the Bliss 30 Sep Vancouver departure, as that seemed to fit the statements in your previous post best (i.e. sailing to Victoria and a scheduled-very-late departure). We already confirmed that Jewel did not go to Victoria, and all evidence suggests it was not scheduled to leave after midnight either...

According to the last update of the port schedule at the start of September, and all the archived versions I have going back to before this season began, Jewel was scheduled to leave at 4pm. If NCL changed their plans it happened less than three weeks ago - the published port sched is based on planned Longshoremen shifts and those guys like to plan their workload many, many months ahead.

In addition, someone on this Jewel departure roll call posted on Sep 11th about their incoming flight being rescheduled to a late morning arrival and being concerned if they could make the pier by 2pm, their 'must board by' cutoff - so both passengers and port expected Jewel to be leaving ~4pm very recently indeed.

Something definitely went awry to make the departure so late - perhaps the same something caused the extra-long-but-with-minimal-longshoremen-used loading mentioned by the folks on-board? Whatever it was had an impact on loading - otherwise the ship would have been all loaded up before their 4pm scheduled departure, and there wouldn't have been any need for even a single forklift to be loading more stuff during the evening. If indeed there was stuff for the dry dock being loaded, a delay getting that to the port would certainly explain everything - can't leave without it or the dry dock is compromised, and even if it was super important stuff it might not have been a huge volume of stuff, hence just one forklift...