Am thinking about traditional dining

Cruise Raider

Yes, the Royal class does have MUTS

Thanks,

Haven't really had time to research the newer ships yet.

I was a bit dumbfounded to learn they didn't have an indoor pool and maybe no middle stairs?? I'm sure I will find out about all the features next year when I sail on her.

I have never cruised on Princess before, mostly NCL where we had anytime dining, although my last cruise was on RCI and we had Traditional. I picked ATD for my Princess Cruise because I really didn't enjoy the Traditional dining. Although the people we sat with were very nice, I prefer sitting with new people most nights as I like the variety. As well, I found the wait staff in Traditional were really fawning all over us and, honestly, I don't want to develop a personal relationship with the staff. Friendly and courteous is one thing but this was over the top. So, my question is, were are on the Emerald and will probably want to go to dinner between 6:00 and 7:00 pm. Will this be a problem? Can we expect long line ups and wait times?

Most likely yes. As you get closer to 7 PM your chances will improve. The MDR will fill up when it opens so that you will be waiting until some of them are finished. The second ATD MDR will open at 7:30 PM and the wait will be much less as now two MDRs will be open.

"Everyone" wants to eat at 6:15. The MDRs aren't big enough to handle that, no matter how they slice/dice it. As I see it, you have six options:

1) TD early seating.

2) TD late seating.

3) ATD prior to when ATD capacity fills up.

4) ATD at/after the point when ATD capacity begins recovering.

5) ATD during the time when capacity is full (this results in a waiting period until capacity recovers).

6) Other venues as desired.

They've had enough request for early TD that they commit about 2/3 of their capacity to this. However, if you ask me, Club Class Dining was an excellent way to slice up the third MDR in a way that decreases their TD capacity and augments their ATD capacity, even if it is at a lesser saturation rate than regular MDR ATD. Nonetheless, this is why reservations aren't available, and I understand it and respect them for doing it as it improves the ways in which they can turn the tables more effectively.

They don't do reservations in ATD after doors open until the point when capacity begins recovering, because those reservations require holding a table open.

On Princess ships you have two early dining times.

The mid ship dining room (usually deck 6), is the earliest early dining time, usually it is listed as 5:15 or 5:30 but often see it start as early as fine. Part of that dining room is usually where Club Class is located. That dining room also switches to Anytime after the early traditional is done.

The second, later, early traditional dining room is located in the back of the ship. This one usually is listed as starting at 6, but often starts at 5:45. This dining room is traditional for both early and late seatings.

The third dining room, deck 5, midships, is anytime starting around 5:15 until closing. Usually anytime is swamped when it opens and is full until those early arrivals are finished, which means limited seating until 6:30 or 7:00.

So, my question is, we are on the Emerald and will probably want to go to dinner between 6:00 and 7:00 pm. Will this be a problem? Can we expect long line ups and wait times?

Much depends on what all your fellow passengers consider to be their time to dine. It is hard to tell in advance if those on the ship with you will want their anytime to be the same time you want to go or not.

Much like a restaurant on land. If you show up when a bunch of other people decide they want to eat, there can be a wait.