Civitavecchi (Rome) free port shuttle to gate or can you walk?

kokopelli-az

We will be on the Epic in Civitavecchi Oct 3. We won't be going into Rome this time; however, we were hoping it would be somewhat simple to spend some time off the ship in Civitavecchi. A couple of questions:

1. Does the free port shuttle accommodate scooters? (we also have a wheelchair if we need to use that instead)

2. Is it possible to walk from the ship to the port exit gate (by Fort Michelangelo) instead of taking the shuttle?

3. It looks like the shuttle drops people off at Fort Michelangelo. Is this also where you are picked up to return to the ship?

4. Once dropped off, is there anything to see/do that is very close to the drop-off site? We do not plan on going very far.

5. How accessible is the area around the drop-off place and also the area as a whole?

We will be on the Epic in Civitavecchi Oct 3. We won't be going into Rome this time; however, we were hoping it would be somewhat simple to spend some time off the ship in Civitavecchi. A couple of questions:

1. Does the free port shuttle accommodate scooters? (we also have a wheelchair if we need to use that instead)

At least some of the shuttle buses are equipped to handle these. Check the Civitavecchia Port Mobility site, which has a wealth of information: https://civitavecchia.portmobility.it/en/shuttles

2. Is it possible to walk from the ship to the port exit gate (by Fort Michelangelo) instead of taking the shuttle?

The main port exit is now at Largo della Pace, not at Fort Michelangelo, although if you are walking I believe you are allowed to exit there. Whether or not you can walk will depend on where your ship docks. It is not allowed from the further docks but may be possible from the nearer ones.

3. It looks like the shuttle drops people off at Fort Michelangelo. Is this also where you are picked up to return to the ship?

The main shuttle drop-off and pick-up point is now at Largo della Pace, as mentioned above. It was changed about 3 years ago. Some people have reported being able to get on a shuttle at the Fort, but others have said not. I don't think it is an "official" stop -- perhaps the odd driver may stop, but I wouldn't count on it....

4. Once dropped off, is there anything to see/do that is very close to the drop-off site? We do not plan on going very far.

I'll let others answer. I'm not a big fan of Civitavecchia and find it a pokey place with little of interest.

5. How accessible is the area around the drop-off place and also the area as a whole?

I've tried to provide a few answers above. Perhaps someone with a better appreciation of the issues related to accessibility can answer #5. As an able-bodied traveler I admit I'm not very aware of barriers.

Some might be able to accommodate a wheelchair but I doubt that they will be able to accomodate a scooter.

Technically it is possible to walk from piers 10-13 but not from 25. So it depends on where the Epic is docking. But with walking disabilities I´d say it´s not doable. I´m used to walking and we walk fast. Took us 15 to 20 min to the Fort.

As said by cruisemom42 the main drop off is Largo della Pace. There are stops close to the Fort but those are only served at certain times (drop off at the parking lot Bramante from 11:30 am til 2:30 pm, pick up at Molo del Bicchiere). So it´s not usable in the early hours when you want to go to Rome. From Largo della Pace you have to take another 2 Euro shuttle to get to the train station (or 20 min walking).

Civitavecchia has some nice places in the downtown area of historic interest plus a nice market. But I´d say it´s not very wheelchair friendly. From the sea you have to walk uphill, partially cobblestone streets. Here are some photos from 2016. I only took a few this year.

steamboats

https://civitavecchia.portmobility.it/en/port-civitavecchia-guide-cruise-passengers is info provided by the port of Civitavecchia. On that site somewhere is a section on things to see and do in Civitavecchia. There's also a schedule of cruise ship visits, although I don't know if it shows which pier a ship is tentatively assigned to. There's also info on the shuttle bus to Largo della Pace. I don't remember if it addresses accessibility, though.