MS Europa 2 recent

vistaman

Catlover54,

The cruises for which I pre-registered are the Majorca- Venice, and the Venice-Athens itineraries, and it is the second for which I am waitlisted.

With regard to the Category of Stateroom, I always opt for Category 2 as the price jump to Category 3 for solo occupancy can be quite substantial.

vistaman,

Congratulations on obtaining your preferences for 2020.

With regard to my waitlisted cruise, HL has advised my TA that those who have been offered places have until the 23rd of this month to either accept or decline the offer, so I will not have long to wait to find out if my second cruise is available to me.

Like you, I opt for Category 2 as my maximum on the Europa 2, but on my Europa cruise the solo price for Category 3 was the same as that for Category 2.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I am just back from ms Europa 2 from Limassol to Venice.

Once again a wonderful experience with a surprise stop at the beautiful small Greek isle Symi.

Caused by heavy wind - and swells of course - the captain decided not to call at Hydra( tendering was too dangerous )  and he did change it for Nauplion.

On sea days coffee was available in the Belvedere as from noon .

Smoking is not permitted anymore around the bar counter of the Pool bar  - the seats and table aside the bar are removed - smokers must go and sit on the promenade deck.

yacht club was extremely busy both for lunch as for dinner - on some days with lots of excursions  one of the speciality restaurants was closed   - to give an idea : in Rhodos there were 5 people for lunch in the Tarragon.

Still great choice in cold cuts and cheeses  - for dinner in yacht club some 15 tot 17 cheeses

2 ladies thought a chseee from North France " Mimolette " was a pumpkin :classic_biggrin: orange colour …

and yes still very moderate prices for great Champagnes and wines  - first days some better wines from Cyprus were available in the various restaurants.

i am listed as German speaking and so i was not invited to the party of international guests  - i think there were some 20.

it was a full house with quite some children  - exception made for some playing with elevators  what was stopped very fast they all behaved .

• 1 month later...

Not very in-depth but a nice little English-language article about the Europa 2. It is a bit older though so maybe been posted before?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/garywalther/2017/10/30/luxury-cruising-why-the-europa-2-is-the-best-luxury-cruise-ship-youve-never-heard-of/#7ec5ead52ad5

Edited by cathaana

1 hour ago, cathaana said:

Not very in-depth but a nice little English-language article about the Europa 2. It is a bit older though so maybe been posted before?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/garywalther/2017/10/30/luxury-cruising-why-the-europa-2-is-the-best-luxury-cruise-ship-youve-never-heard-of/#7ec5ead52ad5

Thank you for posting the article.

I had the pleasure of meeting Gary Walther on one of my Europa 2 cruises.

Your linked article led me to another of his articles devoted to the Europa 2's dining experience.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/garywalther/2019/05/06/luxury-cruising-dining-on-the-europa-2-from-sydney-to-bali/#48bf20191e09

• Like 1

On 8/14/2019 at 10:27 AM, English Voyager said:

Gary Walther's four part review on his Europa 2 cruise from Sydney to Bali.

Great write-up. We were on the same itinerary on the Europa 2. I loved it, but  I think they should eliminate the stop at Lizard Island. No swimming because of stingers when our ship was there. It is a hot pile of rocks and sand.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 3:36 PM, English Voyager said:

A preview of itineraries from 03/10/2021 to 30/09/2022 is available online.

Unfortunately CC is preventing the posting of a direct link.

https://www.hl-*****/preview/europa-2

i tried to book  3 cruises as usual - just 1 possible in cat 1 - 2 , i am not going higher - so waitlisted for 4 hoping to receive one morz

i cannot believe this : i think pax on board did received already some information before the announcement:classic_ninja: - not to me as i was on board in June and on the ms Europa in August  

and honestly i was not expecting the announcement so soon - t thought late autumn

now i DO have questions as well !!:classic_angry:

1 hour ago, vistaman said:

i tried to book  3 cruises as usual - just 1 possible in cat 1 - 2 , i am not going higher - so waitlisted for 4 hoping to receive one morz

i cannot believe this : i think pax on board did received already some information before the announcement:classic_ninja: - not to me as i was on board in June and on the ms Europa in August  

and honestly i was not expecting the announcement so soon - t thought late autumn

now i DO have questions as well !!:classic_angry:

It is ridiculous that you are unable to obtain reservations for a time frame two to three years from now.

It merely confirms a growing feeling I have had that HL Cruises is not particularly interested in attracting solo passengers.

It merely encourages one to look elsewhere for a cruise .

The Company is due to exhibit at a Travel Fair in London in November, and I hope to raise this topic with them.

Edited by English Voyager

• 3 weeks later...

I was on a short, four-day cruise on the sister ship MS Europa Saturday  September 14-18, ( food and service excellent) after visiting friends there,  which started in Hamburg as part of Hamburg Cruise Days.

A caravan of 12 cruise ships and surroundings illuminated the waters, including fireworks.

We passed the Europa 2 in drydock ( photo below) and its crew tooted hello at us, we tooted back.

Meanwhile earlier on shore environmentalists carried fake coffins and sprayed fake blood in Hamburg, protesting cruising, saying cruisers are poisoning the earth and accelerating extinction. I suspect that the push by cruise lines for  “environmentally sensitive” cruising is not enough for the leaders.

https://www.en24.news/2019/09/extinction-rebellion-testing-civil-disobedience-protests-against-cruise-days.html

27EB38D4-5434-42C6-A78D-307E499F96F1.jpeg

While on the MS Europa, I personally pre-booked interest in a new  “Vorschau’ cruise, in a Category IV solo cabin for the 2022 Ocean Sun Festival, no prices yet.

It is 12 days, Teneriffe to Bilbao, starts May 15, 2022.  I only knew about it as I had gotten email from HL that the Vorschau was available online to look at right before I boarded, I had been off CC a while.  It was news to the cruise booker, who knew nothing of it, so I showed it to him online.

I am home now and will work to scan the other cruises on the Vorschau to including Europa 2 to try and get pre-bookings in.

I was previously successful getting solo Category IV ( I like balconies) Ocean Sun Festival bookings for 2016, 2018, 2020, 2021, and we will see if 2022 comes through with the 3% on-board booking discount plus the 5% early booking.

MS Europa may be easier to book than Europa 2, as the latter is the latest and greatest and international,  but Europa has been full each time I was on.

Category IV is also likely easier.

I did visit the Ms Europa 2 in my hometown last monday : the major refit is done in the Yacht Club. ( and a lot of new carpets  )

On one side - close to the Sakura - high tables and chairs are set up  -  the display of the food did change a little bit :

in the evening the various seafood and lobsters oysters are on display next to the ice cream fridge

the lights are also brand new  - blue colours  are used for the seats.

however the choice of food - i only saw the dinner - remains as luxurious as before.

House Champagne Duval Leroy Brut  is replaced by Jacquart Mosaique .

Also the fitness area it seems - however that is not my favourite department:classic_smile:

16 hours ago, vistaman said:

House Champagne Duval Leroy Brut  is replaced by Jacquart Mosaique .

An interesting choice.

Not being familiar with the name Jacquart Mosaique, I had to research it, and discovered the brand was only came to market in 1962.

'History

• The Jacquart story is a history of the Champagne growers' efforts to control their own destiny rather than relying on the big Grande Marque houses as a route to market. In the early 1960s, a small group of growers realised that in order to build their own businesses in a sustainable way, they needed to launch their own Champagne instead of supplying grapes to the negociant middlemen or directly to the Grande Marques. The Champagne Jacquart brand was subsequently released for the first time in 1962 and the ‘Mosaïque' label chosen to represent the patchwork of grower families across the region, all joined together with a common vision..
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I can see when booking a cruise on Europa 2 it is our responsibility to set up my airlines but is there normally a goto hotel at the start city that most stay a day or so before the cruise.

Do they have a representative in this hotel for help?

Is transportation from the hotel to the ship included?

Is transportation from the airport to hotel on our own or not?

I get the feeling for a US customer there is no HL insurance policy offed. What percentage of the trip cost do you calculate the insurance cost on Europa 2 and which companies do some of you use?

They usually have group shuttles to and from the airport which you can use even when you have booked your own flights. They normally also offer a shuttle to a hotel where guests can relax at (in a meeting room/lounge, with food&drinks and a representative) before departing for the airport. Not sure whether they offer that on arrival.

i am not aware of your departure port but one of the few ports where there is no meeting point is Venice.

In the meeting point - usually a 4 starred hotel lounge -  there is coffee tea and water and orange juice, there are no more food or lights snacks on offer.

from that point there is a coach transfer arranged for embarkation and in the hotel there is a representative giving assistance for (decent )taxis after disembarkation -  as done in Athens and Cyprus

i am not aware of insurances for US custiomers  - my advice never travel without decent insurances !

If it is a long distance from a particular airport to embarkation and you are not on one of the Hapag Lloyd flights you eventually can contact HL if you can join the transfers to the ship ( for a fee )  - i did it twice  and it was - a few years ago - 50 €