Compare AMA to Avalon or Uniworld

eandj

We ve done Avalon and Uniworld cruises. We are considering joining friends on an AMA ship.

So will we be happy with the ship experience? I know it's subjective, but would like something similar to what we are familiar with.

(Itinerary isn't at issue. )

We ve done Avalon and Uniworld cruises. We are considering joining friends on an AMA ship.

So will we be happy with the ship experience? I know it's subjective, but would like something similar to what we are familiar with.

(Itinerary isn't at issue. )

We have traveled with all three lines and AMA would be our favorite among the three. They have a variety of excursions while in port instead of everyone taking the same excursion but in different groups. Their slow walkers' group is geared toward allowing those travelers to have the same experience as the other groups. In one instance they had a small choo choo train ride people through the vineyards into town while the other groups walked. Go for it; I don't think you will be disappointed.

Are most excursions included in AMA cruises?

There are a few excursions on certain itineraries, a concert evening in Vienna for example, that are an extra cost but the majority are included.

Are most excursions included in AMA cruises?

Almost all. The only exceptions onboard are a small number where there are high entrance fees [i have read about Schönbrunn Palace and an evening concert, both IIRC on the Danube]. We have taken three AMA river cruises [Rhine, Rhône and Zambezi] and none had a single extra-cost excursion during the onboard portion. Each day there were multiple choices that were all included. Some were quite unusual [we went after dinner on the Rhône to 'help' a boulanger make baguettes for the next day – what a hoot!] The post-cruise land portions did have extra-cost options as well as the included ones.

enhance

Thank you all for the info.

Do their dining rooms allow for tables for two? I presume dinners include two or three entree choices?

Only have experience on one Ama cruise, and it may be dependent on the vessel you are on... They did have tables for two, BUT mostly they are only 6 inches from the next table... not very private.

Always at least 2-3 entree choices and another 2 or 3 that are available every night, like chicken, beef, and a vegetarian option.