Shore Excursion Required?

soccergang

I'm getting mixed signals from cruise lines. Looking to go on 4-5 day to Cuba. I read about the "people to people" exchange. One line says you must do a shore excursion to get off the ship, the other says not necessary. (just keep a list of everything you did) So, which is correct?

I'm getting mixed signals from cruise lines. Looking to go on 4-5 day to Cuba. I read about the "people to people" exchange. One line says you must do a shore excursion to get off the ship, the other says not necessary. (just keep a list of everything you did) So, which is correct?

Which cruise line are you going with? I think the cruise line forms are meant to be confusing!!! They want to sell tours! You can do a search on CC or TripAdvisor "people to people" and "Support the Cuban People" and you will find hundreds of discussions on this topic.

Bottom line: select "People to People" if you are doing ONLY excursions from your cruise ship. If you are going to walk around and take private tours you need to select "Support the Cuban People" and be sure you understand the rules and know what to have ready if asked. See my post #42

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2488357&page=3

A simple search on CC or TripAdvisor will yield many more great advice!

Laurence

Which cruise line are you going with? I think the cruise line forms are meant to be confusing!!! They want to sell tours! You can do a search on CC or TripAdvisor "people to people" and "Support the Cuban People" and you will find hundreds of discussions on this topic.

Bottom line: select "People to People" if you are doing ONLY excursions from your cruise ship. If you are going to walk around and take private tours you need to select "Support the Cuban People" and be sure you understand the rules and know what to have ready if asked. See my post #42

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2488357&page=3

A simple search on CC or TripAdvisor will yield many more great advice!

Laurence

As long as the cruise line accepts your affidavit at check-in, you're free to do whatever you want when you arrive in Cuba. Those affidavits are going in a giant file and are never seen again. No one - not the cruise line or the Cuban officials (who couldn't care less) are looking at them when you disembark in Cuba. And, to be realistic, you're not going to be audited by the U.S. Government after you return to verify that you met the requirements on the affidavit. So, fill it out however the cruise line wants and enjoy yourselves.

No, you do not HAVE to book thru them...you don't have to book anything.

Fill out the OFAC form the way the pier agents say, NO one in Cuba cares and you will not be watched by big brother.

Go, have fun...Book a private tour at least, there is a lot of history and you may want to get some background...

I did a food tour (yummmmm) and an old car tour in a hardtop with AC.

As long as the cruise line accepts your affidavit at check-in, you're free to do whatever you want when you arrive in Cuba. Those affidavits are going in a giant file and are never seen again. No one - not the cruise line or the Cuban officials (who couldn't care less) are looking at them when you disembark in Cuba. And, to be realistic, you're not going to be audited by the U.S. Government after you return to verify that you met the requirements on the affidavit. So, fill it out however the cruise line wants and enjoy yourselves.

You are right "Those affidavits are going in a giant file and are never seen again." and no one is going to audit us. I think it is still good to fill out the form correctly checking the right category. One never know what questions may be asked of you in the future and what your answer is may matter. Here is an example:

Global Entry Denial Trip to Cuba

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147271-i387-k10614808-o50-Global_Entry_denial_trip_to_Cuba-Havana_Ciudad_de_la_Habana_Province_Cuba.html

Agree Fred is giving out information for which he/she is not qualified and knows nothing. A simple check 'support for the cuban people" will permit you to either go in the group tours...step off the ship on your own or hire a private guide (most recommended).

Doing private tours are fine. I took my cruise in May 2017, yes, I know ... before Trump's changes. But MANY MANY people here on CC come back and talk about their amazing private tours.

Here is one: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2649856

Yaser was my guide for my 2nd day in Cuba. I forgot to take my Tshirts back from him and he stood in the terminal until a ship's officer came down and took my name and Tshirts and got them to me through the Lost & Found box at Guest Services!!! This took a LOT of time and effort on Yaser's part. He is extremely trustworthy, conscientious, and only wants the guests to have the best time.

Agree Fred is giving out information for which he/she is not qualified and knows nothing. A simple check 'support for the cuban people" will permit you to either go in the group tours...step off the ship on your own or hire a private guide (most recommended).

What precisely makes you qualified?

In reality, using "Support for the Cuban People" is at best a stretch and at worst a direct violation of the rules. You are asserting that your tourism activities "promote independent activity intended to strengthen civil society in Cuba."

But, as FredZiffle says, it doesn't matter. The tightening of the rules by the Trump administration is there to satisfy dead-enders in south Florida and has no impact on the traveler. Check whatever box you want and enjoy your visit to Cuba.

In reality, using "Support for the Cuban People" is at best a stretch and at worst a direct violation of the rules. You are asserting that your tourism activities "promote independent activity intended to strengthen civil society in Cuba."

But, as FredZiffle says, it doesn't matter. The tightening of the rules by the Trump administration is there to satisfy dead-enders in south Florida and has no impact on the traveler. Check whatever box you want and enjoy your visit to Cuba.

It is important to distinguish "tourism" as we travellers understand it, from OFAC compliance. Unlike your claim, OFAC compliance for cruise passengers is exceptionally easy under support for the Cuban people because they will not be supporting military/government controlled enterprises when on a private tour (full details here: https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/retrieveECFR?gp=&SID=48ffc5f4fc1dbae779881d71644adef4&mc=true&n=sp31.3.515.e&r=SUBPART&ty=HTML#se31.3.515_1574. From what I have read from returning passengers, those checking "people to people" as their OFAC travel reason are seldom compliant. But the reality is that without enforcement of OFAC, it seems only to be a matter of conscience as to what care you take when choosing the proper reason for your travel.

I just went to Cuba on 9/24/18 on RC Empress of The Sea.

The day your ship embarks you are ask full out the forms for Cuba. I filled checked Support for the Cuban People. The agent at the port did not question what I had plan and gave us ( party of 3) our Visa.

Once in Cuba we walked off the ship and hired a cab (classic car) right off the street for us for 30 mins to drive us around. All for the small cost of $30.. We gave the driver $80 since it would have cost much more per person to do an excursion through the ship. We walked through the streets. We loved that we did what we wanted to do on our time and not being stuck for endless hours on a tour.

why would you give a driver $80 for a ride that normally costs $30 for one hour and you only took 30 minutes? Very odd.

Why do you care how I chose to spend my money? Odd that you would even post such a ridiculous comment.

• Like 1

Why do you care how I chose to spend my money? Odd that you would even post such a ridiculous comment.

You were asked a question, and you respond that it was a ridiculous comment.

Of course you are welcome to pay as much for 30 minutes as I would to a driver for a full day. So the issue is not what YOU are spending, but what would be a reasonable expectation. I doubt you would go to another country and pay a driver the equivalent of 2 month's wages for short ride in a nice convertible.

Local operators are able to provide a driver and guide for a day from $100, and many on cruises take that option over an expensive cruise-line excursion.

You were asked a question, and you respond that it was a ridiculous comment.

Of course you are welcome to pay as much for 30 minutes as I would to a driver for a full day. So the issue is not what YOU are spending, but what would be a reasonable expectation. I doubt you would go to another country and pay a driver the equivalent of 2 month's wages for short ride in a nice convertible.

Local operators are able to provide a driver and guide for a day from $100, and many on cruises take that option over an expensive cruise-line excursion.

Plain and simple...Who cares...

Kathy, while you and I do care how tourism affects countries we travel to - as it impacts on those travellers who follow - there will always be some who fail to understand.

On topic, while no excursions are required, those who prefer to negotiate with drivers will get prices nearer 30CUC per hour (not 30 minutes), while 80 CUC will get you a car for the better part of a whole day. Those who do not will instead pay the asking price which is usually 50CUC per hour, and "tip" on top of that.

NO, ABSOLUTELY NOT!!! You do not need to be concerned about going about Cuba without the excursions. We just got back and we had no problems or concerns. It was such a non issue. It's a shame how they try to scare people into taking the ship's excursions.

A few months prior to our Oceania cruise, they sent us an application and affidavit for Cuban visas. You need to have this visa to leave the ship. We completed the application and checked off "Support the Cuban People" on the affidavit. We sent it all back to Oceania through our travel agent. The fee for the visa was added to our ship account. When we were checking in to board the ship, they gave us the visas. You need to have your passport and visa with you whenever you leave the ship. That's it!

When you leave the ship, you walk through a small building to immigration. There are officers sitting at tables as you enter. You hand them your passport and visa. They look at them and look at you. Then they hand you back your passport and visa and you are on your way. That's it!

We did not use they ship's excursions. We hired private guides. We had the absolute best time. We love having one on one time with our guide because you really see more and learn more than the large groups.

Do not be afraid to go your own way in Cuba. Several passengers didn't hire guides at all. They just walked around all on their own. Cuba is very friendly and safe.

• 2 weeks later...