Teens getting bored on ship

MaiTaiMary

3 hours ago, cmp03 said:

My daughter was never a fan of the kids club when she was younger - would refuse to go (on Disney, Princess, or Carnival) but we took her on a cruise last year when she was 11 (almost 12) and requested if she could be in the 12-14 yr old age group club which they did without any issues (instead of the 9-11 yr old group).  I "made" her go the first night during the meet and great they had but she made friends with some of the kids then had a blast meeting them throughout the week to do things.  Both club things (like movie night, smoothies, scavenger hunts) or just meeting them to go to arcade or walk around ships. 

So I would just recommend "making" them go to the meet and greet that's offered at the beginning of the cruise (if they do one) and maybe they will make some friends and have more fun than expected.

It is rare for cruise lines to allow kids to move up.

On a cruise with a 14 year old, I barely saw her. She met some people at the club- after that, they only used the club as their meet-up point, but they found plenty of things to do on the ship. When she was 18, however, it was harder. There's no club, and no real place to meet others her age. 

• 4 weeks later...

My kids hated the "kids clubs"  when they were younger.  But when they graduated to the teen clubs they would definitely go there the first night or two and make friends.  Since they could come and go as they pleased, they didn't stay at the teen clubs, they would go hang out around the ship at the pools or sports court or go get late night food.  My two oldest are super social and outgoing and always have a pack of friends by the end of a cruise.  They love cruising, they loving making new friends from all over the country! 

When we started cruising there were no kid's club or fancy dancy stuff.  Remember the original Love Boat?  Yup, way back then.  They found things to do even on those small ships.  My daughter was a master napkin folder.  When they sailed on ships that did have a kid's club they hated them.  Never went.  They loved exploring the ship, watching the shows, the pizza and hot dogs and even the ice carving.  I never worried about them having fun because they made it on their own.   They actually had fun spending time with us too.

The last cruise I took with my four grandkids.  They were 7, ,9 10 and 12.  They loved being able to come and go.  We put a magnet on the cabin door.  Like the ones a real estate agent might put on the side of his car.  All the doors look alike and this way even our autistic granddaughter could find her cabin.  Everything was a game.  We had 4 kids in a room with 2 single bed, a couch that makes into a bed and a bunk bed that comes out of the ceiling.  They took another set of magnets and put the who was sleeping where each night.  Everything became a game for them.

At dinner they could choose what they wanted.  I gave them the option to try new foods.  Just take one bite.  If you like it great if not the waiter would have their backup dinner waiting.  My DGD always had her spagetti with 5 meatballs waiting.  We brought kid champagne (apple cider).  The waiters served them in wine glasses, kept the bottle chilled for them and they could choose red or white.

After the younger girls were in bed the 12 YO slipped out and watched a show.  He returned through our cabin so I knew when he came back.  I would check on him occasionally but he was a good kid and that was his reward. 

Bottom line.  Bring a few things for them to do with each other but they will find new things to do on the ship even without all the bells and whistles.  Just like in the olden days before all the instant gratifications.

We are taking a 26 day cruise on the Pacific Princess.  The same ship we started on.  There is literally nothing to do during the day.  So, we are taking scrabble, jenga, dominoes and a portable DVD player.  We will sit on our balcony and enjoy each other. 

Edited by notentirelynormal

I would try to bring things that your kids like to do at home just in case they don't like the kid's clubs.  Our son LOVES the arcades on the ship (we cruise on Royal Caribbean) and we bring his tablet, so he has an escape - and so do we.

I have seen kids complain that they were bored on a cruise,  but they were the kind of kids that would complain they were bored at home.  The difference is that on a cruise, you get a break from cooking and cleaning, and that's more important sometimes !

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/13/2019 at 3:50 PM, mjkacmom said:

It is rare for cruise lines to allow kids to move up.

We've been allowed to move our kids up every time we've asked on DCL and RCL.   4 times at least. They had us sign a waiver on DCL.   

I have three boys and the only cruise they had some boredom on was the Oasis if you can imagine that! There was no organized teen and preteen icebreakers so they never found a gang and hung with us.  My middle son hates the beach so he brought a big book and was golden.  My youngest normally loves to swim but didn't like the salt water pool. They missed having a movie theater on board. Part way through the cruise we ended up getting them wifi and allowed them some spending money to buy treats and such so they had fun doing that.  In the end they were fine.

Our next cruise is longer (12ngt) and on a much smaller ship, RCL Brilliance of the Seas, but has movies by the pool and a theater.  This time we got wifi ahead and they will bring electronics.  They do love dinner and trying new stuff.  I also joined the cruise roll call to meet some fellow adults and some are bringing along kids so hopefully they'll find a few to hang out with this time 🙂

It must depend on the cruiseline.  It is rare for Princess to move kids up or down.  The only time I've seen it was when we were on a cruise with a small amount of children and they combined the group.  I think there were only around 20 kids total on the entire ship and the siblings from England asked to be put together and they allowed it.

1 hour ago, notentirelynormal said:

It must depend on the cruiseline.  It is rare for Princess to move kids up or down.  The only time I've seen it was when we were on a cruise with a small amount of children and they combined the group.  I think there were only around 20 kids total on the entire ship and the siblings from England asked to be put together and they allowed it.

It’s very rare on NCL, if younger groups are smaller they might combine or let a child come down to a younger group. For the teen club, I’ve heard it’s either they age they are on the first day, but sometimes might let them in if they have a birthday on the cruise. There isn’t a lot of supervision.

My teen isn’t into the teen club or making friends, she’s kind of awkward socially and just gets overwhelmed. So we take her to play bingo, to trivia, she hangs at the pool with us, mini golf etc. We always go and see the evening shows all together. As much as we enjoyed having some alone time when she was young enough to hang out in the kids club, it’s also nice to have some relaxed time with her before she goes off to college in a couple of years.