Wheelchair in Quebec

seamwoman

I have some mobility issues which makes it difficult to walk far or stand for long so usually have assistance to board a ship. Does anyone know how this is handled?

Thanks, Karen

There are reps and wheelchairs available. Also advise Princess of your needs/requirements.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you need wheelchair assistance for boarding, whether using a chair supplied by Princess or your own, after check in you will be directed to a wheelchair assist waiting location. From there, at some point several "pushers" will show up, and will take people in the order that they appear on the supervisor's list. I've read horror stories of people being dropped off in a public area of the ship, but my daughter has always been taken to the cabin.

I've read all sorts of stories on these boards which we have never experienced--tales of a caravan of 12 people in chairs cutting the boarding line (the most I've seen have been 2 chairs traveling together), huge groups of people with someone in a chair cutting lines (again, the most I've seen permitted were the people in the cabin with the person in the chair), etc.

In reality, we've experienced everything from a very orderly embarkation where the supervisor had a list and each was taken according to the list to a free for all mess where the wheelchair pushers took whoever appealed to them. We've seen the ship send 4 pushers at a time when there were 12 people needing chairs waiting (and continuing to wait). But by far the worst situations have been the disembarkations. They tend to be quite disorganized with far fewer assist personnel than are needed and long (2 hour) waits in the area.

There is limited wheelchair assistance in ports of call. This is usually not a situation of needing to wait as there are relatively fewer people needing assistance.

Edited by moki'smommy

Thankyou for your detailed response. I still would like to know where to find the transporters in the Quebec port.

Karen

My advice is to approach the very first Princess rep you see and ask for one to be supplied. There are normally reps outside or immediately at the entrance to the building directing the foot traffic, so likely within a few steps of the luggage drop off point.

The PORT BASED Princess reps have wheelchairs available to GET YOU ON the ship. They may attempt to take you to your cabin. If not ready they will leave you at a public area. The wheelchair belongs to the port. The ship does NOT have wheelchairs for pax. I would recommend you arranging a rental/purchase.

The PORT BASED Princess reps have wheelchairs available to GET YOU ON the ship. They may attempt to take you to your cabin. If not ready they will leave you at a public area. The wheelchair belongs to the port. The ship does NOT have wheelchairs for pax. I would recommend you arranging a rental/purchase.

The ship does have wheelchairs that crew use to take the passenger onboard.

The passenger just can't use them during the cruise.

The wheelchairs that we have used for embarkation/disembarkation clearly have Princess Cruise Line printed on them. They cannot be kept by a passenger and used while on the ship. If you need one during your cruise, you'll either need to bring your own or arrange a rental.

They DO have chairs available for embarkation/disembarkation at ports of call. There are people who are able to walk with a cane or walker, but cannot handle the gangway ramps. Princess does provide for this.

As to exactly where the HA waiting area is at Quebec, I can't help you. We've had it be totally obvious and other times had to get downright testy with some of the port staff. The worst was when we were told to go ahead inside the building, bypassing a long line outside, but then they expected daughter to just stand inside. I finally found a supervisor and explained that we did not need or intend to cut the line; what she needed was a place to sit while waiting.

Thanks again for your suggestions. Fortunately I don't need a wheelchair on the ship. I take EZ tours with little or no walking. I'm happy to have the ship as a destination! Karen

I am in a similar situation where a chair is required at times. When taken to the gangway by chair they will ask you if you are able to climb the ramp or stairs. If so, a member of the crew will assist you up the ramp while your chair is brought aboard. At the top you can return to the chair to be brought to your cabin.