Military’s appreciation gathering??

JohnsPrincess

Sea Day. Sometimes there is champagne and little flags. Each Cruise Director does it a little different. But it is not to be missed. Bring tissues, very patriotic. They usually gather us all on the stage for a photo. And then pass the microphone around for a few words about what you did, how long in service, etc. ALSO- look for the special Veterans Table during 3pm Tea Time. Nice to chat with other veterans. Husbands and wives of veterans also welcome at the Tea Table. Big round table- sometimes enough to fill 2 tables.

Edited by Twinswithtwins
Added Tea info.

Sea Day. Sometimes there is champagne and little flags. Each Cruise Director does it a little different. But it is not to be missed. Bring tissues, very patriotic. They usually gather us all on the stage for a photo. And then pass the microphone around for a few words about what you did, how long in service, etc. ALSO- look for the special Veterans Table during 3pm Tea Time. Nice to chat with other veterans. Husbands and wives of veterans also welcome at the Tea Table. Big round table- sometimes enough to fill 2 tables.
This is how it worked in our cruise. 20180919_135921.thumb.jpg.35f641ba12361cd0ab6a1f98cdb975e3.jpg

Of the two that I attended, there was a notice in the Fun Times of the place and time of the event. The CD hosts the event and will give a talk about how much the group is appreciated.

The CD will ask who has served at different wars/police actions, ie. Vietnam, WWII, Afghanistan, Iraq, Iran, etc.

Then they ask for each branch of the military to stand and they play the anthem of that group. As mentioned above, they then pass the microphone around to anyone that wants to speak. After that, they ask that all come forward to the stage for a photo op. The photo will be available to purchase in the photo department.

For each one that I attended, after the photo op as we were leaving the stage, the CD stood at the bottom of the stairs and individually thanked us for our service and shook our hand.

I think that even if you haven't served in the military, it would be worth attending just to hear what the people have to say.

Also, at high tea, there are a few tables for military and veterans to sit at. For some reason my wife and I got sat with them once last cruise, but since we are both Army brats and DoD contractors it all worked out.

I've cruised with Carnival 23 times, and this is the first I've heard of this also. Sounds kool.:)

I don't remember it being held on the Liberty in 2015 for that cruise but in 2017 it was available for the first cruise that we took in February on the Conquest then again in October on the Paradise.

It sounds wonderful! Today is our first sea day...I didn’t see anything! We only have one more so hopefully it’s that one! I haven’t seen anything about Tea, either, which I LOVE so I’ll keep my eyes out! We are both Veterans, hubby is still Active! Do you have to ask after the military table for tea?

I attended one on the Sunshine in July, I am not a veteran but my father was, and my brother is, and my brother was with me. It was very nicely done, there wasn't a dry eye in the place. At the end they also did a photo op. Later on in the cruise we saw others that attended the event, that shared, and we had very nice chats with them. I highly recommend attending this event. The one I went was hosted by Jess from the US. She did a great job.

My response to the military appreciation gathering is "meh".

I'm a vet (6 years Navy) and I felt the one I attended was a lot of self-adulation. It's now politically correct to do this stuff and I think this is the only reason it's done. Where was all this when I got out in the early 70's?

That being said, I'm proud of my time in the Navy, but I don't need this. For those who enjoy this kind of gala event; go for it, but I'll be at a bar on Lido enjoying my constitutional rights by having a drink...

Are all military from all countries welcomed or is it US jingoism at its best?

Yes. The CD always asks if their are military members from other countries on board, at least the ones I have attended.

For those who said they didn't know about this event, they only started doing it within the last few years. I don't recall the exact date or ship for the first one I attended.

The event is always listed in Fun Times. The last 5 cruises I have been on it was always held on the last day of the cruise.

My response to the military appreciation gathering is "meh".

I'm a vet (6 years Navy) and I felt the one I attended was a lot of self-adulation. It's now politically correct to do this stuff and I think this is the only reason it's done. Where was all this when I got out in the early 70's?

That being said, I'm proud of my time in the Navy, but I don't need this. For those who enjoy this kind of gala event; go for it, but I'll be at a bar on Lido enjoying my constitutional rights by having a drink...

I hear you on this. My husband is active duty and is in year 16 now. He never attends this type of thing, because he says he’s just doing the job he signed up to do. He also won’t travel in uniform or use it for extra perks. I’d appreciate more if Carnival offered a real military discount! The military rates I’ve seen are always the same or more than Early Saver.

We are in the UK and are a military family, we’ve attended gatherings on the cruises we’ve been on. We were made to feel very welcome and it’s an honour to meet serving/veterans and their families.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have been to them, at one time it was just a meet and greet but now is usually in the theatre. It has grown a lot and it isnt a bad thing. There are people that come that dont have any ties to the military but just want to see it. it is usually later in the cruise. Each branch gets recognized. Army , Navy, Marines, Air Force and Coast Guard. Sometimes they take a group pic. They offer the floor to anyone that wants to speak up. It isnt a long program and you get a chance to win a cruise. Not much of a chance but a chance. lol

I have been to them, at one time it was just a meet and greet but now is usually in the theatre. It has grown a lot and it isnt a bad thing. There are people that come that dont have any ties to the military but just want to see it. it is usually later in the cruise. Each branch gets recognized. Army , Navy, Marines, Air Force and Coast Guard. Sometimes they take a group pic. They offer the floor to anyone that wants to speak up. It isnt a long program and you get a chance to win a cruise. Not much of a chance but a chance. lol

Carnival still holds veteran’s meet and greets. The Military Appreciation Gathering is a new event they started to host within the last few yesrs.