Snacks on a Plane

CozGurl

It does vary a lot by airline but I mostly don't mind most of the food choices they serve on flights. I especially like the cheese and crackers type boxes. Lately most of our flights have been to and from Asia and we usually like whatever noodles and chicken option they have.

I do usually pack a few prepacked things like protein bars or other easy snacks just in case we don't care for the main option. Then I don't have to worry about it if something doesn't get eaten on the flight. We also usually grab a bottle of water at the airport (or fill our refillable water bottle). Leaving the US it has never been a problem getting water after going through security. We have run into problems returning to the US though never from Europe. A few countries don't normally restrict liquids except on flights to certain countries (the US being one of them) so you have to go through a second security point. There usually isn't any place to purchase water after the second checkpoint. Luckily they are pretty good at passing out plenty of water on longer flights so it isn't usually too much of an issue.

I did a non stop 11 hour flight from nj to Hawaii. No food served

We run into this where we live too. Domestic flights don't usually serve free food, though they usually have stuff you can purchase. We have about an 8 hour flight to get to Hawaii from here and it is a United airlines domestic flight. It is the only current domestic flight option off the island which we sometimes have to take. It is pretty terrible. When we fly from Hawaii back to the mainland we usually fly Hawaiian airlines. They serve a pretty decent meal plus a glass or wine or a mai tai is included. It usually seems like heaven after the United flight. :'):'):')

You won't want to pack something unless it's in factory sealed packages, like chips or crackers or something. If you want to take a sandwich or something more "meal like", you will want to wait until you are through security and purchase something there. Security can confiscate any food for whatever bizarre reason they deem important for safety. My friend had a birthday cake confiscated. You just never know. Anything you buy beyond security will be okay to take on. However, as someone else said, be sure it isn't something that has a strong smell, like pizza or whatever. You don't want to be on a long flight with everyone around you hating your guts. So if you bring a sandwich, leave off the onions, for example. Be courteous of others.

In addition, most airlines will publish their menus ahead of time, so you can decide if that's something you want to eat or not. Visit their website.

I always carry a can of Pringles (because they don't get crushed), a can of nuts or a few packs of crackers. All factory sealed and most often bought at the airport after clearing security. Never would I ever try to carry a sandwich from the ship onto the plane. We've done the flight from U.S. to Rome twice. We flew Aero Lingus and I have to say that they fed us ridiculously often and the food was pretty good. My snacks ended up being brought home. That being said, I've devoured my snacks on short flights to Florida to catch a cruise ship. Just find something after going through security. Personally, I don't think a sandwich that has been sitting in my bag sounds appealing anyway.