celebrity cruise interior stateroom big enough for gogo electric scooter?

jaxsand11

My mother uses a GoGo 3 wheeled scooter. I was wondering if any one has had experience with getting a NON-Accessible interior stateroom while using one of these scooters on a Celebrity cruise. Currently, the cruise date we are looking at only offers verenda concierge class Accessible rooms which is quite pricey. My mother is not wheel chair bound and can get around quite well without the scooter. So I was hoping some of you could comment on:

1. is there enough room in a Non-accessible room to store the electric scooter? (maybe removing a coffee table will help)

2. does the scooter fit thru the door ok?

3. did anyone regret not getting an accessible room after attempting the Non-accessible room? if so, why?

Any other input is greatly appreciated!

We plan to take the new celebrity Edge ship in April so no one will have first hand info on my question, but I'm guessing other Celebrity ships will have the same experience.

Thanks for the help in advance!

Not all hallways are wide enough to allow the scooter to be driven into the cabin...call the special assistance people to be sure you will not be disappointed...the scooter must not be stored in the hall....they can tell you just how wide the doorway is...and you need to ask about the hallway...i could not get the scooter into a cabin i was visiting on a princess ship...an eye opener....clearly the halls with hc rooms are wider...have a great trip!

You will not be able to get the scooter past the foot of the bed to the desk/sitting area where you would plug it in. Last month we were on Equinox and I noticed the hallways were a lot narrower than on our previous Carnival cruises. EM

You will not be able to turn the scooter sharp enough to fit it through the door and you certainly can’t lift it. When you rent a scooter through a celebrity partner the scooter will already be in the room.they should tell you if it is possible to plug it in.

Hi, I used my 4 wheel go go scooter in and ordinary balcony cabin on the Eclipes (Which is the same as the Equinox) with no problem at all. It fit through the door ok, you just have to get the angle right. I have had a look at the plan of an inside cabin and as long as your cabin has the bed near the far wall, there should be plenty of room, you can always ask for the coffee table to be removed if you want. As for the battery, just take it off the scooter to charge.

• Like 1

Generic diagram for the interior cabin on EDGE shows bed on the side wall by the bath, and couch near the back wall, opposite the desk. The walls are straight, no niches so it's possible that cabin configuration for insides will not alternate. OV cabins do have insets in the wall, so perhaps they will alternate bed placement. But with your concerns, I would not book such a cabin on a brand new ship/design until she has sailed and some pictures have been posted. EM

There are 2 issues....will it fit through the door and will you be able to line it up to fit...it has to go in head on...no angle...i wouldnt trust anyone on the phone to confirm that info but would get a cabin in the same area as an hc one to be pretty sure a regular cabin would do the trick....many people with scooters do use reg sized cabins successfully...

• 2 weeks later...

You should call the accessible department of your cruise line and have them check whether or not the bed is on the far side of the cabin you want or nearer to the cabin door in the case of a regular, average sized cabin. The bed location often varies within the same category and cabin size. If you have already booked the cruise and it turns out you have the wrong cabin configuration,  usually you can get switched to one that will accommodate your scooter as long as there are still cabins left which are unbooked.

Also call and check on their accessibility policy regarding pricing. 

I have heard some lines will give the price of a lower category if there is not an accessible room available in that category.

Not sure if this makes sense. Lets say you really want an inside accessible room but there is non available, you move up to the next category with one available but pay the lower price. You shouldn't be penalized because there is no availability in the category you want.

Not sure if this is a policy on all cruiselines, but worth asking about.

I am not sure when you are leaving but ask to be put on a waiting list for an accessible cabin. Not sure if it helps but worth a try. Next I would check every day or so to see if one becomes available. Final payment time often opens one up. We do an accessible balcony and this has worked for us.  Good luck😊

• 1 month later...
On 10/4/2018 at 9:21 PM, searoses said:

Not all hallways are wide enough to allow the scooter to be driven into the cabin...call the special assistance people to be sure you will not be disappointed...the scooter must not be stored in the hall....they can tell you just how wide the doorway is...and you need to ask about the hallway...i could not get the scooter into a cabin i was visiting on a princess ship...an eye opener....clearly the halls with hc rooms are wider...have a great trip!

If you can’t fit a GoGo scooter in the door way take your armrests off. If it still doesn’t fit it comes apart so easy and puts back together so easy don’t worry you can get it in the room. I have taken mine everywhere but not on Celebrity but they are only 19.5 inches wide at its widest spot.