Would you recommend an upgrade?

CruiseDreamer28

We've been offered a deal on upgrades for our upcoming HAL Zuiderdam cruise. We're booked as a GUAR MM and have been offered an upgrade to an oceanview for $49pp or to a Verandah for $179pp. I've only sailed in inside cabins and have never felt like I was missing out. The ships are beautiful and there's so much to do, I can't imagine wanting to sit in my cabin. Am I missing out? What would you recommend/not recommend about upgrading?

Hi Dreamer!

I would take the OV (my DH does much better -- better moods! -- with some natural daylight) but not the Verandah. We did the Panama transit on NCL because we could have a balcony for the price of an inside on HAL...

BAD IDEA. Although the big window was nice, we opened the door literally ONCE, to watch the guy in the rowboat in the Canal. Cool memory, but the balcony was way too hot and humid to enjoy. Much better to enjoy the elegance and excellent service on HAL -- and you might even get a Super K or J Large Inside, or a well-positioned "I" cabin for your guarantee.

Anyway that is my opinion, worth what you paid for it!

ETA: Is that $49pp total or per day? I would think hard before paying $490-539 for even the OV... I think.

This post may be too late for you, but when considering an upgrade, in my opinion, location, location, location is important. Either category would be acceptable. Your preference, I think. But, try to get a definite cabin number, look at a deck plan and see where the cabin is located. Some outsides and veranda cabins are better located than others.

Ya, but they currently have a guarantee with the same caveats and no daylight! The MM's are under the Fitness Center or the SeaView Pool (dragging chairs and the late night hangout of young smokers!). Even a Large Inside J upgrade might be under the Blues Club...

Thanks everyone! We decided to go with the oceanview. We're on the main deck now, no longer under the pool or fitness center. :-) That was a good tip!! I'm sure we would be happy no matter where our cabin is, just being on board is the important part, but I do think we will enjoy the daylight. Now, is it too early to start packing... ;-)