Don't mistake the msc cocktail hour for m&g

shugey

Just returned from a cruise on the Seaside last week, and it’s clear that MSC hasn’t yet grasped the object of the Cruise Critic Meet & Mingle. But regardless, they have perfected the art of a giving a scrumptious cocktail party.

Our Cruise Critic evening began with an outstanding musical group, who was playing as we entered the lounge The group wasn’t playing particularly loud, just loud enough to make interaction impossible with anyone but those seated at the next table. Therefore it was impossible to meet anyone else in the group. Drinks - both alcoholic and non-alcoholic - were served, along with snacks. The Cruise Director took the stage about 10 minutes into the affair, along with the Captain of the ship and a cadre of the ship’s officers. The Captain made a wonderful speech, then circulated freely among the crowd, stopping to chat briefly at every table while the musicians again struck up their tunes. It made for a very lovely hour, and MSC certainly should be commended for a most enjoyable hour.

However, it wasn’t a classic Meet & Greet. At no point was the microphone turned over to a Cruise Critic representative, nor were there any individual introductions of our members - and certainly no mention of any activities - Slot Pull, Cabin Crawl, CC lunch, gift exchange, etc. So, while there certainly was music, speeches, and good cheer all around, alas, it was not what I have labeled as a Meet & Greet.

And, there is no reason there should have been. The Cruise Director, in his opening remarks, welcomed us to the “Cruise Critic cocktail party.” It was an excellent evening of listening to music, listening to a great welcoming speech, posing en masse for the group photo. The point of all this is, if you want a gathering of CC members who wish to have a classic Meet & Greet, it should be done in another venue at another time. Go and enjoy the cocktail hour - it certainly is unlike anything on any other cruise line. But don’t think there is an opportunity to simply meet and enjoy the company of other CC members, because this certainly isn’t that kind of gathering.

By no means is this meant as a criticism of the wonderful hospitality shown by MSC. Don't, however, think you are going to a traditional M&G meeting.

I don't understand, the Captain was able to "circulated freely among the crowd", but you were restricted to only meeting the people at your table? Why were you not able to get up and introduce yourself to others?

The Meet & Mingle on MSC is something arranged between Cruise Critic and MSC. Any CC member can sign up and attend...even those who NEVER participate in the roll call or post anything what-so-ever on CC.

If your roll call group arranged for other activities, as a group you all should have set something up to talk about your plans. The CC Meet & Mingle is not the place as the Meet & Mingle is not a roll call event. There are CC members attending who chose not to be a part of the roll call and by extension, want nothing to do with the roll call activities.

• Like 1

MSC has done a great job to make CC members feel welcome at the party they are hosting. I like their format and the interaction with the crew. To be honest if the party included all the extra activities the Roll Call organized I probably wouldn’t go. I am on vacation to relax and get away from hectic work days (less meetings, less structured activities)

There are numerous sea days for the activities to be spread out over plus as Sea Shark mentioned, people are more then welcome to circulate during the party.

• Like 1

OK, not once did I complain about the beautiful job that MSC did - that was the last thing thing from my mind. And - the Captain was able to communicate at each table BECAUSE he was at each table as he circulated throughout the room. MSC - again - the party you gave was exceptional. I never had a problem with it, nor did I imply that I did. I was merely saying that if you want a gathering where you have a chance to meet your fellow Cruise Critic members, this was not the place.

And, yes, the party did not start until 5 p.m. That, though, is not a complaint. Some will find that to bd the perfect starting time, others obviously would prefer it to start earlier. But before you start your flaming, please read my post again. I repeat - MSC, wonderful party.

I read your post. You went to a MSC Cruise Critic party and wanted a Roll Call Party. You enjoyed it but you felt MSC didn’t grasp the concept of a Meet and Mingle in YOUR opinion. Sea Shark offered a valid opinion as well. Not all cruise lines need to have the same cookie cutter format for parties. One of the reasons I sail MSC is because it is different then other cruise lines in North America.

Good advice recommending the Roll Call group to hold separate function.

The one commonality we have is we all enjoy cruising and socializing. We can all have different views on format of party, date and time and level of participation without people getting overly sensitive and throwing out the term “flaming”. I think we can both agree MSC does value CC members.

Perhaps MSC does grasp the concept quite well. It is a way for them to have a more personal dialog with their customers. It is not the place for some self appointed king or queen bee to babble on about the cabin crawl or roll call events.

• Like 1

...the Captain was able to communicate at each table BECAUSE he was at each table as he circulated throughout the room.

Exactly. The Captain was at each table as he circulated throughout the room...he "MINGLED" as in "Meet & Mingle". It is in the name. :o As I noted before, if the Captain was able to MEET and MINGLE, then what was it that prevented you or anyone else from doing the same? I can't believe that you were forced to sit at just one table and never allowed to get up to talk with others.

It is sad to once again see another MSC should be like the rest post because that is how it comes across, On our two Seaside sailings, Xmas 17 and April 18 people spoke to others before and after the Captain had spoken to the room, we were lucky enough to have had Captain Scala and Massa on these cruises who also spoke to every individual who bothered to stay.

If you have organised things by yourselves then get on and do it after the M & M, there is nothing stopping someone asking to speak to those who are part of your get together using the microphone.

At Xmas 17, my other half and a lady from the USA had organised between them a gift exchange via dare I say it a face book page, where many CC members were also members. This was carried out after the MSC side had finished and people then sat back down discussing the gifts they had chosen by way of a raffle ticket number handed to the person as they left their gift on the table, we will be doing the same again this year but on Divina and once again via a fb page, people who are CC members have also joined and some are joining in with this years Gift exchange.

You do not need MSC to do everything for you, I am also at a loss to understand why you felt that you could not get up and speak to others around you, maybe your way forward for any future Seaside or Divina cruise is a fb page where you can set up things prior to sailing along with postings on CC Roll calls which in some cases appears to be tailing off.