Just Got Back from Trollfjord

Elka

I took the sailing of the Trollfjord from October 3 - 14. It was an Astronomy Cruise.

Embarkation Day was easy but the bus from the hotel to the terminal came at 2 times. One at 2PM and one at 3PM. I thought that they could maybe push it back an hour since you can’t get into your cabins until 6PM and there is a scrum of people trying to check in from Bergen. My sailing was full. Apparently they now have an Astronomy Cruise for German speaking passengers. By accident I went to the safety briefing for German speakers and then stayed for the English speaking one. 

The announcements were numerous but sometimes very repetitive, they would announce something in three languages but then 15 minutes later they would make the same announcement in three languages. 

We went into the Trollfjord but it was at night so it was dark. We also had very rough seas on the second night, apparently this is well known but it happened during first seating dinner and they had to suspend service as plates and glasses were sliding all over the place and breaking. One interesting note is that we had a medical emergency on the second day, it was rainy and windy. The person was evacuated by helicopter and that is why we were having rough seas while at dinnertime. The seas calmed down during second seating. Service was good and they did their best to accommodate your tastes. 

What can I say about the Astronomy Cruise, John Mason is so enthusiastic about his passion and gave really great information about Astronomy. Even how to take good pictures. Inger Carter as his assistant is also amazing and helps with logistics and information on Norway. She always started the lecture with what she calls the “ad” (I won’t spoil what the “ad” is) and then John would take over. I found John approachable and even had dinner with him on the second night, the rough seas night. The second to last night he gave a lesson on deck 9 on the constellations and when he pointed with his laser on a group of stars there was a shooting star at that moment. 

We saw the Northern lights, as that was one of my goals for this trip, I was glad. 

The crew was approachable and did what they could to accomodate your requests and questions. They did there best to make it comfortable for you.

With a lot of passengers the Buffet lunch was a scrum and you had to wait for tables to become free. I am a picky eater and I was able to find a lot to eat. The Ala Carte place was open all the time so you could find snacks at any hour. 

Those are my impressions, a little scattered, just returned home last night from my trip. Any questions, I will answer.

Thanks, Elka.  We board Trollfjord in a month - and I do have a question.  Would it be possible to go late to the pier in Bergen - say 6 PM - in order to avoid the crush of passengers?  I just don't see the necessity for sitting/standing around for three+ hours waiting to embark.  What do you think?

1 hour ago, Hunding said:

Thanks, Elka.  We board Trollfjord in a month - and I do have a question.  Would it be possible to go late to the pier in Bergen - say 6 PM - in order to avoid the crush of passengers?  I just don't see the necessity for sitting/standing around for three+ hours waiting to embark.  What do you think?

I think so, we were not allowed into our cabins until 6 PM. The ship didn’t leave until 8 PM. I think I got to the terminal at around a quarter to 4 and waited until the line got smaller and checked in at around 4:30. I got on the ship at 4:45 and waited until just before 6 for my cabin. One thing is that dinner starts at 6, it is a buffet and open seating. I forgot when the last hour is of the buffet, but they remove all the food promptly at that time. They won’t kick you out of the dining room, but will not serve you or leave any leftovers. They put everything out at once, including dessert. They will replenish the food but when closing hour comes, it is closed.

10 hours ago, hallasm said:

Absolutely no need to be there before 18:00. You departure is probably not before 22:30 - departure time during winter. Cabins will still be available 18:00.

Thanks, hallasm!  I was thinking the same thing - and, you're right, we don't sail until 2230, and I'm sure the dining room is open at least until 2000, so we'll aim for a 1800 pier arrival, as I'm sure the hotel would be happy to hold our luggage until late afternoon.

Yes, no problem with dinner. Also the hotel will store your luggage. The time will be much better spend in Bergen than to queue for the ship.

Make sure you leave Trollfjord in good conditions for my January sailing. Enjoy your cruise. 

• Haha 1

Elka - Did you go on any excursions during your voyage?  If so, what were they and did you enjoy them?  Was there a 'high point' (and, conversely, a 'low point') of your trip?  Perhaps you could share a word or two of advice or caution for future travelers.  Thanks.

5 hours ago, Hunding said:

Elka - Did you go on any excursions during your voyage?  If so, what were they and did you enjoy them?  Was there a 'high point' (and, conversely, a 'low point') of your trip?  Perhaps you could share a word or two of advice or caution for future travelers.  Thanks.

No, I didn’t go on any excursions. I was on the Astronomy Cruise and I thought I would be up at night and that I had been traveling for about 15 days before I got on to the ship. I was tired. The high point was seeing the Northern lights, was my last goal of my trip. The low point was getting a bit seasick twice. If you can get on the Astronomy Cruise, I highly suggest it. The lectures were so engaging and enjoyable.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On ‎10‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 11:52 AM, Elka said:

We also had very rough seas on the second night, apparently this is well known

I was thinking that rough seas wouldn't be that common on this cruise - and that if we did have issues, it wouldn't be until further north.   I am a pretty committed river cruiser - primarily because of the risk of sea sickness.  I wasn't planning on taking anything with me for sea sickness... but perhaps I should reconsider??  

Is this an itinerary that I shouldn't even have considered?  We have a hold on a cruise in early October 2019.

Fran

I enjoyed the round trip of the Trollfjord, and if you have the Astronomy Cruise all the better. The lectures were great. The ship is on the North Sea at some points and it is then that the roughness is felt. On the second night, I was having dinner with the lecturer, John Mason and he has been doing this route for years. He noted, while we were rocking, that this patch of rough seas was known. Also, because of a medical emergency that the timing was off schedule so that we hit the rough sea during dinner. Then on the last night, we hit the same patch going back, and it was rocking. If you easily get seasick, I would take something with me. 

4 hours ago, franski said:

I was thinking that rough seas wouldn't be that common on this cruise - and that if we did have issues, it wouldn't be until further north.   I am a pretty committed river cruiser - primarily because of the risk of sea sickness.  I wasn't planning on taking anything with me for sea sickness... but perhaps I should reconsider??  

Is this an itinerary that I shouldn't even have considered?  We have a hold on a cruise in early October 2019.

Fran

Part of the Sailing is In smooth water but you can also expect parts with very rough seas In October - certainly not a river cruise.  

Do not know what you expect from the Hurtigruten voyage but just be aware that Hurtigruten is not a regular cruise line. Operating 11 ships at the Norwegian coastal route with 34 stops along the coast to deliver freight - many stops only 15 minutes. 

7 hours ago, Elka said:

I enjoyed the round trip of the Trollfjord, and if you have the Astronomy Cruise all the better. The lectures were great. The ship is on the North Sea at some points and it is then that the roughness is felt. On the second night, I was having dinner with the lecturer, John Mason and he has been doing this route for years. He noted, while we were rocking, that this patch of rough seas was known. Also, because of a medical emergency that the timing was off schedule so that we hit the rough sea during dinner. Then on the last night, we hit the same patch going back, and it was rocking. If you easily get seasick, I would take something with me. 

We didn't notice any "rough seas" heading north, this past March, also on the Trollfjord.

However, coming back, heading south, one day we had a 'warning' about "rough seas" during the late evening, and... WOW!  It was indeed that bit of the North Sea.

So, one good thing we learned is that our "belief" that neither of us gets seasick is still in effect.  And my other concern, about getting "scared" (as in, "terrified"?) wasn't a problem either.

It was definitely a "Mr. Toad's Wild Ride", and we actually loved it.

But first, we had to get "safe".  We had a suite, and we had serious trouble walking, and don't know what was happening to others elsewhere on the ship (but the very forward and aft areas of the ship would have the most motion in most cases, and we were aft).

We could not walk upright without leaning on the wall, and even then it was tricky.  We couldn't hold on to the furniture, as some of that was moving around, too.  At one point, we thought we'd need to get down on all fours, and crawl to the bed, for safety.

We managed to make it back to bed ("We'll get into bed and STAY THERE until it's safe to walk around again!") and then we just enjoyed the ride.  :classic_smile:

We loved that little episode, but I'm not sure about how it would be if it went on and on for a much longer time (thinking about reports about the Drake en route to Antarctica, especially).

GC

3 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

We loved that little episode, but I'm not sure about how it would be if it went on and on for a much longer time (thinking about reports about the Drake en route to Antarctica, especially).

My parents went to Antarctica in 1999, when they were crossing the Drake my Father got seasick. It was very rough. Any ship can hit rough waters, in 2017 I was on the Disney Magic, the ship was rocking for two days because a storm was going from south to north and we were going from north to south. They closed the pools and walking was very hard. 

Personally, I would think that if you want to experience or see something, rough seas should be expected when traveling by ship. I think that it would be part of the adventure. 

14 hours ago, hallasm said:

Do not know what you expect from the Hurtigruten voyage but just be aware that Hurtigruten is not a regular cruise line.

Actually, I have done my homework fairly thoroughly, and think I have reasonable expectations regarding this cruise.  Sailing Hurtigruten has been on my "to do" list for a few years now, and getting to the Arctic Circle is one of my bucket list items.  I don't expect to be taking many (if any) of the optional excursions.  The trip is about the coastline, the fjords, the wildlife - and (hopefully) a sighting of the Northern Lights.  I have spent quite a bit of time looking at the sailing route outlined in the Hurtigruten brochures, and thought that any rough seas would be further north than day 2 - but Elka explained above why the rough sailing may have been a bit earlier than expected.  

I have done what I can to try to mitigate the risk of seasickness --> booked one of the larger boats (although the smaller ones looked cozy and inviting...), booked a lower deck (deck 3), with a cabin in mid-ship.  I *thought* (perhaps in error) that travelling in early October might be better than later October. I thought that the seas might be rougher as you head into winter... 

GeezerCouple's post does mention that the passengers were notified in advance of rough water.  So - if that happens, I will load up on medications as a "preemptive strike" the minute a notification happens. 

So glad to find out there is a Hurtigruten forum on cruise critic.  I have found other forums on Cruise Critic to be invaluable when planning a trip.

Thanks, everyone, for your comments!!

Fran