Anan Bear Viewing Trip - Some Questions

Hitchens97

I'm thinking of booking for my day in port on July 8th 2019. I've done some research on some other posts, but I had a few more questions:

1) Is this too early in the season, and am I better off going somewhere else?

2) Island Wings seems to have great reviews. Any other recommendations?

3) My wife suffers a bad back. How tough is the trail and stairs to the entrance?

4) Booking: Seems like I need to book now or very soon. Is that right?

Thanks in advance

It isn't something that interests me but I'll pass along these 2 web sites which may help you.   According to the Forest Service web site there are 300 steps to climb and 1/2 mile walk.  What caught my eye was the description of the stairs leading to the blind which are the equivalent of 3 stories. 

https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/tongass/recreation/natureviewing/recarea/?recid=79154&actid=62

Additional photos and info here: https://www.experienceketchikan.com/bear-viewing-in-alaska.html

Peak season starts July 5 which is when they start requiring permits and since only 60 are issued each day, it would be wise to get your reservation as soon as possible. 

Hopefully someone with past experience will post with about their firsthand experience.

On 10/16/2018 at 11:27 AM, Hitchens97 said:

I'm thinking of booking for my day in port on July 8th 2019. I've done some research on some other posts, but I had a few more questions:

1) Is this too early in the season, and am I better off going somewhere else?

2) Island Wings seems to have great reviews. Any other recommendations?

3) My wife suffers a bad back. How tough is the trail and stairs to the entrance?

4) Booking: Seems like I need to book now or very soon. Is that right?

Thanks in advance

Michelle books up quickly so I would contact her ASAP

http://www.islandwings.com/anan-creek---traitors-cove-bear-viewing-tours.html

michelle@islandwings.com
Local (907) 225-2444

Toll-free (888) 854-2444

We have taken two wonderful trips to Anan Creek with Island Wings in early July; we saw about 8 bears each time. 

As for the trail and stairs, there are some rises and falls on the paths that might be of concern to your wife (don't know the extent of her back issues.)  If you look at "YouTube" and put in Anan Creek Bear Watching in the search box you will come up with some videos that show the paths (walkway and uneven terrain.)  I would have posted the links but not sure if I am able to do that or need permission from the author.  In any event, take a look at the videos and decide for yourself.  Our trips were the highlight of our cruises.