Any couples bid up to Garden Villa from Haven?

erdoran

We're on a Jade sailing in the Haven and the entire Haven is sold out - except for the two Garden Villas.  There are only two of us though--but wondering about upgrade bidding possibilities, especially with those empty GVs.  Anyone have the opportunity to bid up to one, what was the bid range, and how many were in your group?  Did any couples get offered that opportunity - and did a couple actually get that much of an upgrade?  Thanks!

No but a few years ago I was booked in a Haven and got the upsell call.....Pre bidding days.    They asked if I was interested and that it would be only an additional $19k!!    That's after I'd already paid probably 8k for my 2 bedroom villa!

The bid is just charged to 2 guests so it doesn't really matter if a couple or group makes the bid. It's easier for a group to divide the cost of the bid but otherwise, it is the same. Whoever wins the bid, NCL will find it easier to fill that suite than it is to fill the GV.

Make a bid that you are comfortable with and hope for the best.

It does happen. In June, we were booked in an  Owner's Suite on the Dawn and bid for the villa.  Party of 2. Won the bid and had an amazing time.  Loved it so much we bid on our next sailing in September  and had the pleasure of sailing in the other villa for that trip. Each time we put in a "good" bid on the bid meter. We knew exactly what we were willing to bid and that is the bid we placed.  

We were given the same opportunity (I'm sure everyone in the Haven was) on our holiday sailing for the Gem...the lowest bid in the "fair" category would add an additional $2500 to an already large vacation bill - happy with our 2 bedroom suite which is more than enough for a family of three. 

Have to admit though...I ran through my budget to see if I could spring for it - having that balcony for 11 nights, 1/2 of them in the Caribbean was certainly tempting!

Good advice to never book a room you are not happy with … and we are ALWAYS happy in the Haven!

Amy

I upgraded from a comped mini to a PH on the Gem and bid on the OS (which I REALLY want) in the just barely fair range then I saw the lowest bid was 1500 for the GV I figured what the heck, I will bid the minimum on that too. Excited to see what happens. Any way it goes I will still be happy in my PH.

• Like 1

Good for you Boopsahoy...

If you win - please take some photos...will make me jealous, but I would love to have some inspiration vs the rather terrible photos of the GV and DOS / OS on the internet. 🚢

Best of luck....Amy

4 hours ago, amygutman said:

Good for you Boopsahoy...

If you win - please take some photos...will make me jealous, but I would love to have some inspiration vs the rather terrible photos of the GV and DOS / OS on the internet. 🚢

Best of luck....Amy

Have you never done the cabin crawl? I've been in the GV 2X-Oh my God!! Its almost as big as my house lol 

Our favorite is the OS. We have had it twice and LOVED it.  

DSC00777.JPG

Edited by boopsahoy

Boopsahoy...Wow. So. Much. Fuscia! Is that the GV or the OS?

We have a 2 balcony OS on the Dawn in June - very much looking forward to that as the trip is less about the destination (not a huge fan of Florida routes), but all about the balconies. I've heard that the GV on the dawn if just spectacular...but already sold out I think for that sailing (and again...not ideal for just the 3 of us).

I'm glad you like the OS...No OS option or us on the bigger ships:

1) 1 open room...not idea when I have a weird sleep cycle (I pull 24 shifts routinely at work and can't break the habit on vacation)

2) If I'm treating the family to the suite...I want a "mom bathroom" separate from a "boy's bathroom". Mom rules!

3) The OS with 2 balconies is 2-4 flights down from the Haven pool - and the 9 yo likes to walk right out to the pool deck to check if it's busy or not. It's easier for us to walk back and forth to the room if he forgets something or needs the bathroom. 

Hubby just pointed out that we have never seen a GV on a cabin crawl...sad. He also wishes you luck - he is trying to tempt a bid out of me, but having not won powerball, I think I'll save my money to invest in my next Haven 2 bedroom!

Amy

9 hours ago, amygutman said:

Boopsahoy...Wow. So. Much. Fuscia! Is that the GV or the OS?

We have a 2 balcony OS on the Dawn in June - very much looking forward to that as the trip is less about the destination (not a huge fan of Florida routes), but all about the balconies. I've heard that the GV on the dawn if just spectacular...but already sold out I think for that sailing (and again...not ideal for just the 3 of us).

I'm glad you like the OS...No OS option or us on the bigger ships:

1) 1 open room...not idea when I have a weird sleep cycle (I pull 24 shifts routinely at work and can't break the habit on vacation)

2) If I'm treating the family to the suite...I want a "mom bathroom" separate from a "boy's bathroom". Mom rules!

3) The OS with 2 balconies is 2-4 flights down from the Haven pool - and the 9 yo likes to walk right out to the pool deck to check if it's busy or not. It's easier for us to walk back and forth to the room if he forgets something or needs the bathroom. 

Hubby just pointed out that we have never seen a GV on a cabin crawl...sad. He also wishes you luck - he is trying to tempt a bid out of me, but having not won powerball, I think I'll save my money to invest in my next Haven 2 bedroom!

Amy

The picture is the OS on the Gem. Yes very fuchsia! This was the forward OS not physically in the Haven.1 1/2 bathrooms and double sink. I don't even dream about the GV on the bigger ships! Too expensive. Isn't the Dawn the same layout as the Gem?

1 hour ago, boopsahoy said:

The picture is the OS on the Gem. Yes very fuchsia! This was the forward OS not physically in the Haven.1 1/2 bathrooms and double sink. I don't even dream about the GV on the bigger ships! Too expensive. Isn't the Dawn the same layout as the Gem?

The Jewel class OS and Dawn class OS are the same except supposedly the Jewel class only have a heavy curtain between master and living room while I know the Dawn class have sliding glass doors plus curtains.

1 hour ago, dexddd said:

The Jewel class OS and Dawn class OS are the same except supposedly the Jewel class only have a heavy curtain between master and living room while I know the Dawn class have sliding glass doors plus curtains.

You are correct-Gem has heavy curtain. works fine!

😇😇

Again - many thanks. 

And back to the original GV topic - hubby wanted to know (i'm curious as well) - if you were to upgrade and win the GV, can you add people to the reservation (assuming it's not 2 days prior to the cruise), and what do you think their cost would be? 

I'm sure it's happened in the past - certainly would be cool if you had friends / family travelling on the same cruise that you could "pull in" your friends into the unoccupied 2 bedrooms. I'm sure there would be sort of fee but still, i'm sure it's much less than booking outright. 

Amy

We received notification for our upgrade at least a week in advance.  We inquired about adding people to the reservation but were advised we could not due to life boat capacity for that section of the ship. 

If if you have friends already sailing you can certainly invite them to visit/stay but they would not have site perks unless they were already in a suite.  

Edited by kruiserkatie
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, amygutman said:

😇😇

Again - many thanks. 

And back to the original GV topic - hubby wanted to know (i'm curious as well) - if you were to upgrade and win the GV, can you add people to the reservation (assuming it's not 2 days prior to the cruise), and what do you think their cost would be? 

I'm sure it's happened in the past - certainly would be cool if you had friends / family travelling on the same cruise that you could "pull in" your friends into the unoccupied 2 bedrooms. I'm sure there would be sort of fee but still, i'm sure it's much less than booking outright. 

Amy

No you cant add people only the people in the room that's being traded in get the new room. 

Taking a study break...went over to YouTube to let my mind wander to vacation land and found a love GV video of the post-rehab Gem. 

Definitely less fuscia, Boopsahoy! Still would love to see it for myself (now...where did I hide that PowerBall ticket?) 😁

• Like 1

I am hoping (and not hoping at the same time) that I get a bid opportunity for the GV--for several hundred it's a no brainer, for several thousand it is also (but other direction):>  I don't know if I'd feel guilty if we got a GV, and just the two of us in a single bedroom, with the other bedrooms empty.....

On 10/20/2018 at 12:13 PM, dexddd said:

We did the same thing in June plus we had our kids with us so it would have been $60+ dollars to go to Cagneys or we could all be happy with Haven for dinner.

Escape Haven restaurant was the best we've had by far and a lot had to do with the staff - people like Francis.

1 hour ago, amygutman said:

Taking a study break...went over to YouTube to let my mind wander to vacation land and found a love GV video of the post-rehab Gem. 

Definitely less fuscia, Boopsahoy! Still would love to see it for myself (now...where did I hide that PowerBall ticket?) 😁

I have my ticket too!

1 hour ago, erdoran said:

I am hoping (and not hoping at the same time) that I get a bid opportunity for the GV--for several hundred it's a no brainer, for several thousand it is also (but other direction):>  I don't know if I'd feel guilty if we got a GV, and just the two of us in a single bedroom, with the other bedrooms empty.....

I have usually seen the minimum bid for the GV in the thousands. On my upcoming Gem cruise the minimum was 1500-i went for it. 3000 to upgrade to the GV? Hell Yes! You never know!

I just checked the NCL site to see if the GV for Nov 15th was still available...no longer listed as an open cabin. Boopsahoy - if this was the room you bid on, check your email as you may be sailing in the best room on the ship!!!

I'm still getting the offer to "upgrade" on my log-in page - must....look...away.....

:classic_rolleyes:Amy

33 minutes ago, amygutman said:

I just checked the NCL site to see if the GV for Nov 15th was still available...no longer listed as an open cabin. Boopsahoy - if this was the room you bid on, check your email as you may be sailing in the best room on the ship!!!

I'm still getting the offer to "upgrade" on my log-in page - must....look...away.....

:classic_rolleyes:Amy

II havent been contacted and bid still says pending.......

25 minutes ago, erdoran said:

Amygutman do you mind if I ask how much your gv min bid is ?  Boopsahoy how long a cruise for $1500 each? I’m a 14 day ta next April.  

11 day cruise. I don't think everyone gets the same minimum bid. I'm already in a PH....