My Time Dining inquiries

lmp29

Apologies for not researching this if the answers are elsewhere (i tried, but got so much information on other cruise lines/irrelevant topics that I think i may not be using the new format correctly).

Considering going with My Time Dining on a cruise on the Harmony in May of 2019.  Have only ever used traditional dining in the past (with one experience on the Anthem with Dynamic Dining before it was abolished).  Would like to get some perspective from the experts before I commit to it.

We are traveling with a group of 13-17 people, comprised of three generations/various branches of the same family.

Perceived pros

• Dining time can be varied (and slightly later since on this cruise early dining is 5:30 p.m. and two of our port days have times that extend later)
  • Ability to mix up the group so that different people can be seated together 

Cons

• Different servers (over the years my adult children have learned to love the relationships that are formed with waitstaff)
  • We are too large a group to sit together, but MTD means that the tables could possibly be on opposite sides of the room, not a few feet away

What am I missing or need to know?

If we make reservations is there any concern that we would be made to wait?  I would prefer to lock into dining time if the alternative is that we could potentially have to wait extended times for tables to be ready.

thank you all for any insight you can provide.

We sailed with a group of 29 last Sept and all had linked My Time Dining reservations. We were accommodated with two large round tables and had the same waiters each night - pretty indistinguishable from Tradirional Dining except for the choice of dining times. 

thanks, HicksRA, I didn't expect same servers.  Tables were larger than 10?  I would LOVE to be able to all sit together, they don't give that as an option in traditional dining.

7 minutes ago, lmp29 said:

thanks, HicksRA, I didn't expect same servers.  Tables were larger than 10?  I would LOVE to be able to all sit together, they don't give that as an option in traditional dining.

Now that I think about it, I think there was 2 large tables and one smaller one.  

Definitely make a reservation for each night as early as you can; the earlier or later your reservation time is, the easier it is for them to accommodate you but usually with a large group, they will make it a point to set your table(s) aside; you can request to be in the section of your favorite waitstaff which is usually granted but not always a guarantee - again, dining time would dictate the availability of your preferred table location or waitstaff; might be a slight wait for your table(s) to be ready but not too long although peak dining times could extend your wait a little; table sizes are usually 10-12; I personally prefer MTD b/c you can switch things up if you don't like the waitstaff, the section you're sitting in, or the table set up that you're given - not something you have to be "stuck" with for the rest of your cruise but at the same time, I can still get the TD feel if I find my comfortable spot with a waitstaff that I like and can stick with for the week.  Hope this helps...  

• 3 months later...

I also have a few questions about MTD and a large group (12). I did link the reservations and I also made a reservation for every evening and added 8 of the group to our 2, but it wouldn't let me add the last couple. Trying to decide if I should just wait until I am onboard and make sure they are part of the dining group since they are linked. Or try to contact Royal dining in advance. If I go the second route, does anyone know the best way to do this?

45 minutes ago, jules71 said:

I also have a few questions about MTD and a large group (12). I did link the reservations and I also made a reservation for every evening and added 8 of the group to our 2, but it wouldn't let me add the last couple. Trying to decide if I should just wait until I am onboard and make sure they are part of the dining group since they are linked. Or try to contact Royal dining in advance. If I go the second route, does anyone know the best way to do this?

Call RCI to link everyone and reserve a table - getting a table for 12 might be difficult.

Even with MTD, you can request to be seated in a certain section, even the same table, if you like the wait staff and others dining with you. Make a reservation for the time you think you will be eating most nights. It is just a reservation. If you feel like going earlier or later, you certainly can, but may have to wait a bit until tables open up. We like to share tables, but we found people who wanted tables for 2 usually got seated first, when you have no reservation or are at different times.

Cheers

Len

• Like 1