our 4th cruise to Alaska ..what we loved

Steve&Karen

We had our 4th cruise to Alaska this September and it was fabulous ! The weather was killer, no rain and beautiful skies. We did attempt to wake up for the Northern Lights as they were promised but we never saw them. We were on Princess which we usually LOVE but I think now I prefer Celebrity. Food was not as good and ship needed some work. In Ketchikan we did the Zodiak boats which we continue to LOVE!! so amazing to be out on the water seeing whales and bald eagles. It is worth the money trust me ! 

in Juneau we hiked to Mendenhal glacier and visited the water fall ! Still such a beautiful site and we never tire of it. We saw a mother bear with two cubs and loved watching them for hours. 

In Skagway we rented Jeeps and drove the Yukon trail and stopped at the dog camp and fed the goats etc. We drove to mire lake and the scenery was breathtaking. 

Im glad we did it, but do not think we would do it again.

Overall a great trip ...Best halibut and chips we have ever had in Juneau et the Hangar !! Really great and good service too 

On ‎10‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 12:24 PM, Steve&Karen said:

We had our 4th cruise to Alaska this September and it was fabulous ! The weather was killer, no rain and beautiful skies. We did attempt to wake up for the Northern Lights as they were promised but we never saw them. We were on Princess which we usually LOVE but I think now I prefer Celebrity. Food was not as good and ship needed some work. In Ketchikan we did the Zodiak boats which we continue to LOVE!! so amazing to be out on the water seeing whales and bald eagles. It is worth the money trust me ! 

in Juneau we hiked to Mendenhal glacier and visited the water fall ! Still such a beautiful site and we never tire of it. We saw a mother bear with two cubs and loved watching them for hours. 

In Skagway we rented Jeeps and drove the Yukon trail and stopped at the dog camp and fed the goats etc. We drove to mire lake and the scenery was breathtaking. 

Im glad we did it, but do not think we would do it again.

Overall a great trip ...Best halibut and chips we have ever had in Juneau et the Hangar !! Really great and good service too 

Isn't the Zodiak really cold? What makes it better than a regular whale watching cruise?

When you say Zodiac boats.....do you mean those speed boats?  We signed up for one in Skagway.  We are 53...I'm hoping for more pretty scenery than acrobatics. I guess I don't mind a donut or two.....as long as we don't get drowned.  From what I understand we have to wear flotation suits. 

We have also been to Alaska 4 times and love it. However, I am curious what ship you were on?

We were just on the Celebrity Reflection and will NEVER go on Celebrity again.

We have been on 4 different Princess ships and were not crazy about the Coral, however, we were just on the Regal Princess and IMHO it puts the Reflection to shame.

On 10/23/2018 at 11:18 AM, Cheryl H said:

When you say Zodiac boats.....do you mean those speed boats?  We signed up for one in Skagway.  We are 53...I'm hoping for more pretty scenery than acrobatics. I guess I don't mind a donut or two.....as long as we don't get drowned.  From what I understand we have to wear flotation suits. 

Zodiac is one manufacturer of rigid/inflatable boats. Since they are the primary manufacturer, many boats of this construction are frequently called zodiacs.

They have a rigid hull, normally fibreglass, with additional buoyancy chambers around the outside. They will have a single, or more normally multiple outboard engines. From experience, you can experience some spray.