Royal vs. Princess

Sailed many times on Princess and Royal.  In general, very similar lines.  Smaller Royal ships are very similar to Grand-class Princess in feel.   We do like both.

Closet space on Princess is far better.  Buffet hours are far better on Princess (RCCL closes the buffet a lot between meals).

RCCL doesn't have the always open pizza and grill you see on Princess.  Shows tend to be better on Royal and the ice shows are a lot of fun.  Food is similar.  In the past you could get steak every night at dinner.  Part of the reason we switched to Royal was steak at all dinners.  New menu is now pretty much like Princess, no beef for you on several nights.

We actually switched a lot of cruises to Royal because of the San Juan departures.  You see a lot of islands from there and Princess quit sailing from San Juan.

We've sailed on Royal Caribbean and Princess quite a number of times and can share some observations:

* There are more active activities on RCI--rock climbing, surfing, zip lining, etc., so it does tend to draw a younger crowd (although you'll see all ages).

* RCI also has the best shows, particularly on the Oasis class (Broadway shows like "Mamma Mia" and "Grease," ice skating shows, aqua shows). Freedom class also has ice skating shows.

* Princess' ships are quite elegant--the Regal Princess is gorgeous, with its glass and marble atrium--and more laid back.

* To me, Princess' buffet food is better than RCI's--the Regal Princess buffet is huge and it's hard to imagine anyone not finding something to like. The International Café, which is 24/7, also has good quality sandwiches, quiches and desserts, and is superior to RCI's 24/7 Promenade Café.

* If you can spring for it, Princess has great mini-suites, which are about the size of a hotel room. If you go off season, you can get one for not much more (sometimes even less!) than a balcony room.

May is actually a fabulous time to go--we usually go in May or April; the kids are still in school, so you hardly see any. And you avoid hurricane season.

Hope this helped a bit. - Musing About Cruising

• 11 months later...

Princess Cruises, one of the world’s leading premium cruise lines with 18 cruise ships in service, has announced that they will extend their award-winning Captain’s Circle Loyalty program to guests of all ages. The extension of the loyalty program marks Princess Cruises as the first and only cruise line providing youth passengers with Elite status complimentary Wi-Fi.

In celebration of this milestone, Princess Cruises is rejoicing its most-traveled youth guests: nine-year-old Wyatt Wilkinson, the youth guest with the most cruises at 46; and 15-year-old Alexis Lavoie, the youth guest with 538 total days at sea.

princessguests.jpg Meet Princess Cruises Most-Traveled Youth Guests Alexis Lavoie (left) and Wyatt Wilkinson (right)

Los Angeles-native Wilkinson was just a year-old baby when he starting cruising and traveled to the Mexican Riviera with his grandmother Renate Wilkinson, who introduced him to the joys of seagoing travel. In fact, he’s sailed to his favorite destination – Alaska – three times in the last three years alone.

A Canadian resident of north Montreal, Lavoie started earning his sea days cruising at just four-years old. He sailed on a World Cruise in 2009 onboard Tahitian Princess and another World Cruise in 2011 with Pacific Princess. He also completed a 60-day South America cruise in 2013 onboard Grand Princess.

As Elite members of the Captain’s Circle loyalty program, Wilkinson and Lavoie now enjoy all the benefits of the program, which are currently being rolled out to all youth guests. From the appropriate loyalty level color displayed on their OceanMedallion and cruise card, to complimentary Wi-Fi, priority embarkation and complimentary laundry.

Just tossing my .02 in.... Like most others, I'll happily sail either line.  As mentioned, each excel in a few different areas but overall they're pretty similar.  I also think RCI draws more families due to some of their ship features whereas the Princess demographic is a little older.  We've been pleased with the food on both lines (find PCL's buffet a little better).  Agree with the majority that RCI has more varied entertainment with the ice shows.

So while my extended family slightly favors RCI, hubs and I lean a little more toward PCL.  We ALL loved Freedom -- and our fave was sister ship, Independence.  Since your focus this time is on itinerary, I'm confident you'll enjoy this cruise.   It's a perfect chance to give RCI a try.  Enjoy!!

Edited by Ren1216
no aqua show on Freedom

I am going on Princess in 2021 so you will have to wait for my opinion but having looked at quite a few posts about both cruise lines you can find the same topics comparing ships within each line.  Experiences  will vary depending on  the age and size of the ship as well as the itinerary and the time of year.  Comparing the same ship on a Med cruise after kids have gone back to school with the same ship over Christmas and you will have a huge variation.

Much like anything else that has variables each cruise experience is somewhat unique people who have done a B 2 B sometimes report that the whole ship changed the crew food lines etc..

You can only speak in generalities like Royal has a better buffet, but if you are on a large Princess ship and they have several foods you love then Princess will be better on that  cruise.  Cabin size and balcony is a fair comparison but only for the same age and size ship.

I am going on the Island Princess that many have criticized for adding more cabins, others say they did not have a crowding issue.   I was on the Celebrity Reflection where they added a lot of cabins to the ship and not much more public space the dining room was very crowded.

The lines both offer great ships, great cruises, and great service. 

The perks for loyal cruisers are a little different.  Royal offers limited WI_FI and laundry, but ample booze.  Princess offers limited booze, but better WI-FI and laundry.  Princess also offers do it yourself laundry for cruisers with less loyalty points.

Royal offers balcony discounts, not sure if princess has similar perk, but I don't think so.