Thoughts on bidding for upgrade...

AllAmericanAmy

6 minutes ago, newty25 said:

I've been skimming after the OP but I didn't think you could bid if you booked a sailaway rate?

And, since you can be upgraded without paying with the SA rates (to the same class or higher), why not just book the SA rate and be done with it?

You can bid after buying at the sailaway rate.  I booked a sailaway inside and upgraded to a mid-ship balcony for less than half the price of a sailaway balcony if I called directly.  I was happy with the original cabin I booked but since it's a 14 day trip this was a better option for us.

Edited by heelfan94
spelling

1 minute ago, heelfan94 said:

You can bid after buying at the sailaway rate.  I booked a sailaway inside and upgraded to a mid-ship balcony for less than half the price of a sailaway balcony.  I was happy with the original cabin I booked but since it's a 14 day trip this was a better option for us.

Wow. Seems like this is the way to go unless you don't get an offer to bid on an upgrade.

1 minute ago, newty25 said:

Wow. Seems like this is the way to go unless you don't get an offer to bid on an upgrade.

My sailing is not selling, so to speak, so I think I just got lucky.  My offer was accepted with over a month left before we cruise.  I think it pays to do your homework and watch prices.  If I could have just called and gotten close to my bid I would have done that to end it.  

2 minutes ago, tomservo said:

Are there times of the year that are historically slower to ensure more available cabins?

My sailing is November 25.  Maybe between Thanksgiving and Christmas?  I'm sure we have other posters who will know for sure, but we have always had luck traveling before Christmas.

1 minute ago, tomservo said:

Are there times of the year that are historically slower to ensure more available cabins?

I'm no expert, but just logically I would think anytime kids are in school. Not counting major holidays and spring break.

But, cruise lines know this as well and price their cabins accordingly to entice more people to go during those periods.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, heelfan94 said:

You can bid after buying at the sailaway rate.  I booked a sailaway inside and upgraded to a mid-ship balcony for less than half the price of a sailaway balcony if I called directly.  I was happy with the original cabin I booked but since it's a 14 day trip this was a better option for us.

I didn't word this correctly.  I paid less than half of what it would cost to upgrade outright to the balcony.  

1 hour ago, tomservo said:

Hi ...

The weeks I know about are:

the week heelfan94 is cruising, Nov 25 (i.e. the Saturday/Sunday departures right after Thanksgiving)

the week immediately AFTER the above described (i.e. the 1st full week of December)

the week immediately after New Years Day (i.e. not ON New Years but right after)

That being said, I've often found good deals the 1st two full weeks of December, as well as the entire month of January can offer some pretty good deals.

I've heard the term "slump" week to describe these weeks.  Possibly other weeks of the year are similar and others will chime in.

Some people on our Jan 5., 2019 sailing on the Bliss received upgrade offer/bid about a week ago.

Our offer to bid came today. Currently Spa Balcony booked. Bid on Spa Mini-Suite. 

Edited by beerman2

On 10/23/2018 at 10:55 PM, AllAmericanAmy said:

Seems like the bidding situation is ideal for someone like me.... happy to take the cheapest cabin anywhere on ship since I'm seldom in it and I won't be traumatized if I don't get a bid on better cabin category accepted.  Once I book my cheap cabin I can put in a low bid for a balcony and maybe get it, maybe not.  Either way I'll have a good trip.

You have the perfect attitude and expectations for this process.  So often people choose something less than what they want with an expectation of getting something better, and then when the bidding process doesn't pan out they get upset.  We always book the cabin level we are satisfied with, and if we get an upgrade... then great... if not, we remain satisfied 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, schildiams said:

I have heard of people on roll calls learning that someone with a lower bid won an upgrade - so I think that NCL DOES consider original price paid in the equation. Total highest cabin price wins?

It sounds logical to me—NCL's in the business of making money, and whoever's putting down the most money total is going to get the upgrade. 

I would also imagine that cabin category factors in—you'll probably have an easier time bidding up to the Haven from an aft balcony, because NCL will easily be able to sell that aft balcony as an upgrade to someone else.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, llcruisers said:

Another question - do you get an offer to bid if your reservation is made through one of those big internet discount cruise/travel agency?

After booking through Expedia and Orbitz, I receive the offers to bid for an upgrade from NCL.