Berlin excursion suggestions from Warnemunde?

orangedluv

We are cruising with NCL but we dont wanna avail their tours because they seem to be overpriced. Can anyone suggest a Berlin tour excursion that would allow me to have enough time to go through and walk around the Berlin wall? Was hoping to get a relaxed tour even if we only have a day docked in Warnemunde. It would be great if you could describe your experience! Thanks!

1 hour ago, orangedluv said:

We are cruising with NCL but we dont wanna avail their tours because they seem to be overpriced. Can anyone suggest a Berlin tour excursion that would allow me to have enough time to go through and walk around the Berlin wall? Was hoping to get a relaxed tour even if we only have a day docked in Warnemunde. It would be great if you could describe your experience! Thanks!

several of the St Petersburg tour operators such as SPB and TJ Tours also do tours to Berlin from Warnemunde

usually in buses as getting to Berlin via scheduled trains is tricky due to time constraints

the ships tours are chartered trains and you are right they are overpriced

You could rent a car and try to do it yourself.

You could take the train and find a tour when you get to Berlin?

Or you could sign on with one of the popular tour groups that usually do St Petersburg but also do Berlin. They are pretty reasonable, will get you to Berlin but, I believe you are then on a tour with them. If you want to go off on your own, then you would probably need your own transportation, but I am not positive about that. If you are also looking for a tour company for St Petersburg, it could save you some money by combining Berlin with St Petersburg with the same company. 

Cheers

Len

Or you try to ignore Berlin and do a trip to the nearer located and much more beautiful,exicting and enyoable city of Hamburg.

It can be done quite easy via train.

But wether you do Hamburg or Berlin,i wouldn`t use the NCL excoursions cause they are definitely way overpriced.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Giantfan13 said:

You could rent a car and try to do it yourself.

You could take the train and find a tour when you get to Berlin?

Or you could sign on with one of the popular tour groups that usually do St Petersburg but also do Berlin. They are pretty reasonable, will get you to Berlin but, I believe you are then on a tour with them. If you want to go off on your own, then you would probably need your own transportation, but I am not positive about that. If you are also looking for a tour company for St Petersburg, it could save you some money by combining Berlin with St Petersburg with the same company. 

Cheers

Len

Thanks for this! I think I will do as what you have advised 🙂

There are lots of reviews of Warnemunde to Berlin day trips here on cruisecritic (shorex, private, independent) so may be worth a read:

https://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/memberreviews/shore-excursions/excursion/4556/

You will need to decide if the time you have in port will fit your plans, also if the distance is outwith your comfort zone for getting back onboard on time.

You don't say which section of the wall you hope to visit, but if you go to Checkpoint Charlie please also go to the Berlin Wall Memorial site, as Checkpoint Charlie was crowded and in our opinion tacky, and horribly touristy, and by far the worst site we visited in our four days there.

Lots about the Berlin Wall Memorial online, much to see there. If you arrive by U-Bahn subway at the site, you will arrive at Bernauer Strasse station. It is a bit of a time warp and there is an exhibition about the "ghost stations" when the city was divided. This was itself one of them.

Edited by edinburgher

The museum that is right in front of checkpoint charlie was absolutley fantastic.  It is well worth the visit.  It might seem kitschy but it is truly informative and has an excellent collection.  We spent a few hours in there and were very impressed. 

Yes, the checkpoint is an absolute tourist trap and the guys working for tips wearing inappropriate uniform pieces (russian cap with US uniform jacket for example) for tourist photos it just stupid.  Having driven by there when the city was divided truly gave one a sense of concern as travel through the sectors wasn't fluid.  I'm glad I had a chance to experience Berlin before unification.  There really isn't much left to see of that city, its changed into a diverse cosmopolitan metropolis with citizens from all over the world creating a dynamic society.