WHICH IS NICER WATER COLOR AND BEACH

golfer1903

golfer: The water color is affected by the color of the sand and the clarity of the water. The sand is white at both Magens and Trunk. If it is calm and the sun is shining, both will have beautiful shades of blue. If it is windy, if there is a swell, or if it is cloudy, the colors may be less intense. 😊

7 hours ago, O2B@Cagain said:

They asked about Magens and Trunk... But you are correct. Almost all beaches have beautiful water when the weather cooperates.😉

Yes I read golfer’s post. Actually Magens doesn’t exhibit the gorgeous sapphire to emerald water colors we like because it’s more a sandy bottom. I recommended Sapphire because it offers those gorgeous sapphire to emerald colors (because of the different areas), as well as a beautiful beach with much more character, at least in our opinion.  And it saves 2 - 2.5 hours of added travel time and an extra  $28 to go to Trunk. Not recommending Sapphire over Trunk, but we prefer Sapphire and I’m sharing that with the OP. 

Sunlight is what brings out the best colors but not all bays are created equally!

For much less than what a tour costs on any cruise line, rent a car or van and drive yourself to where ever you decide to go. This way you go where you decide, on your time and pace. This is what I've done the past two times I've been in St. Thomas and will do again when I visit on Nov. 24. Same rules and signs as in the states but you drive on the left side with the wheel on the left. It's only awkward the first few minutes and when you reach your first intersection. The island is small and easy to navigate. Just make sure you leave yourself ample time to get back to the ship in case traffic around port gets nasty.

15 hours ago, golfer1903 said:

I dont see a tour on carnival for Shaffire and yes I know it cheaper to due yourself but my family will not do it that way no matter what.  I only have those two options i think.

Understand. That is unfortunate as self-excursions are the most common way to experience the beaches of St Thomas and St John, taxis and ferries are very timely and reliable. It’s not just about saving $$, you also get more time going on your own. Going on your own to Trunk you can include a nice island tour as well. 

If you must use a cruise line excursion look at the options for Magens Bay or Trunk, these are ok if your hands are tied. Note that the Trunk Bay excursion may include a 45-minute ferry from near the ship and can be a rougher ride.

There is a third cruise line excursion that goes to Lindqvist Beach which is arguably the nicest beach on St Thomas. This is usually titled Secret Beach I believe.

Compare and enjoy!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone been to Sapphire beach recently?  We were there last December and it was pretty rough from the hurricane.  It was our favorite beach. Going back to St Thomas next month and trying to decide on which beach to go to... Would love to hear about where you have recently been....

• 1 month later...

My opinion having visited both Magen’s and Trunk Bay multiple times is Trunk Bay. I spent a month in May 2018 and visited both. Both are beautiful but Trunk, Cinnamon and Maho on St. John are my favorite any where in the Caribbean for different reasons. Trunk for the beauty and snorkeling.  I will be visiting Trunk again on a cruise on my own with family in January 2019. Hope this is helpful.

pittypat

On 11/15/2018 at 8:11 AM, cruisencrazy said:

Has anyone been to Sapphire beach recently?  We were there last December and it was pretty rough from the hurricane.  It was our favorite beach. Going back to St Thomas next month and trying to decide on which beach to go to... Would love to hear about where you have recently been....

Yes there are updated posts from day visitors as well as condo owners and renters (here and in the STT forum on tip advisor). The beach is gorgeous as ever!

On 11/5/2018 at 1:26 AM, Ms411 said:

Trunk is the prettier of the two and the road to Trunk has a scenic outlet that lets you see Trunk from above. Great photo op! One of the most photographed beaches in the Caribbean, supposedly.

Yes I agree with posts 9 and 12 when comparing the two beaches, and since a self-excursion is not an option for golfer then renting a car or going to other beaches is not a choice. The only thing I would add is a question about your port times? If in port for a shorter day you may want to stay on STT to spend less time traveling. In that situation you may want to also consider the Secret Sands excursion to Lindqvist Beach (Smith Bay Park) which is arguably the nicest beach on STT.