Australia and New Zealand Itinerary

Ready to Sail!

We are starting to look at cruises to Australia and NZ for late 2019/early 2020.  We would sure consider Viking but their itinerary does not include cruising Milford or Doubtful Sound.  All the other lines that I have looked at do and we would consider this a priority.  I find it strange that Viking would bypass Fjordland National Park.  Is this a new itinerary for them that they may adjust in the future?  

December 2018 Sydney - Auckland is the first cruise by Viking of this itinerary (we are on the return cruise, out of Auckland on 30 December). The ports of call are all east coast NZ and as you say don't include Milford or Doubtful Sound on the west. The inclusion of one of those locations with a by-pass of one of the other ports would be more appealing to many. There is no information to suggest the itinerary will change in future years but you may wish to give Viking some feedback on your thoughts via TellUs@vikingcruises.com email. 

Edited by Little Monty
error

We were going to do the New Zealand itinerary on Celebrity, but DW pointed out that the flight to Sydney is 2 hours longer than LAX to Auckland, and many reports of high seas on the Tasman Sea led me to look for a cruise that would be New Zealand-only.  And I found that Ponant does exactly that:

https://us.ponant.com/cruises/pacific-and-oceania-the-best-of-new-zealand-r210320-4

Not cheap, and the small ships sell out fast, but it does include all three 'sounds.'  And there is a pre-/post-cruise extension that includes Queenstown and the interior [similar to what Celebrity does on their overnight shore excursion, but you don't miss the sail around the southern end of NZ].  If you also want an Australia experience on this trip, you can book it though Tauck:

http://www.tauck.com/tours/australia-travel/australia-cruise-ape-2019.aspx?tabPage=Itinerary

2 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

We were going to do the New Zealand itinerary on Celebrity, but DW pointed out that the flight to Sydney is 2 hours longer than LAX to Auckland, and many reports of high seas on the Tasman Sea led me to look for a cruise that would be New Zealand-only.  And I found that Ponant does exactly that:

https://us.ponant.com/cruises/pacific-and-oceania-the-best-of-new-zealand-r210320-4

Not cheap, and the small ships sell out fast, but it does include all three 'sounds.'  And there is a pre-/post-cruise extension that includes Queenstown and the interior [similar to what Celebrity does on their overnight shore excursion, but you don't miss the sail around the southern end of NZ].  If you also want an Australia experience on this trip, you can book it though Tauck:

http://www.tauck.com/tours/australia-travel/australia-cruise-ape-2019.aspx?tabPage=Itinerary

Thanks for the info.  We want an itinerary that ends in Auckland so we can add a week for my husband to do some fly fishing.  We just may do NCL.  It fits our needs.

11 minutes ago, Ready to Sail! said:

Thanks for the info.  We want an itinerary that ends in Auckland so we can add a week for my husband to do some fly fishing.  We just may do NCL.  It fits our needs.

Ponant goes Auckland to Dunedin, then the next cruise goes Dunedin to Auckland.  Either way you would fly  from the US to Auckland.  But the experience [and price point] between these two cruise lines would be 180 degrees.

12 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Ponant goes Auckland to Dunedin, then the next cruise goes Dunedin to Auckland.  Either way you would fly  from the US to Auckland.  But the experience [and price point] between these two cruise lines would be 180 degrees.

I looked at Ponant and yes, it would certainly fit our needs.  I guess I am thinking since we are adding the extra week or so on our own I would like to keep the fare for the cruise a little more reasonable.  The second week will be pricey with fishing guides, etc. 

On the other hand I also did look at a few sights regarding crossing the Tasman and I do have problems with rough seas.  Well, lots more to think about.  Thanks again for the info.