Tortola Taxis

NightOne

Asking the Tortola Taxi experts here (and anyone else that knows) ...

My plan is for 6 of us to leave the port, go to Cane Garden Beach, hang out awhile, go to Brewer's Bay, hang out awhile, head back to port. (maybe hit some scenic overlooks on the way there or back)

I know I can just get off the ship, head to the taxi stand, and ride an open air bus with 20 other people for $8 each (to CGB) but I prefer not to be on a packed ride. Also, I don't want to wait for it to fill up if we are among the first on. If I am forced to do this, can I catch one from CGB to Brewers? and from Brewers back to port? Easily?

I would rather go just us 6 without others. I contacted AC Taxi via e-mail and he wanted $90 an hour and offered a 5 hour tour. ($450 is too much for me) Most I would pay would be $300 or less for something like that. However, I'm not sure I really even need the private "tour" part of this being that I just want to go to 2 locations and back with possibly a stop or two.

What are my best options for transportation for my plan above with just the 6 of us?

Other recommendations welcome too

Thanks

Work on:

Two taxis from port to CGB at $30.00 per taxi including tip.

Two taxis from CGB to Brewers at $10.00 per taxi including tip.

Two taxis from Brewers to port at $30.00 per taxi including tip.

Possibility of having a multi seat shuttle available at Brewers at the time you wish to return to port.  If so $8.00 pp plus discretionary tip.

18 hours ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Work on:

Two taxis from port to CGB at $30.00 per taxi including tip.

Two taxis from CGB to Brewers at $10.00 per taxi including tip.

Two taxis from Brewers to port at $30.00 per taxi including tip.

Possibility of having a multi seat shuttle available at Brewers at the time you wish to return to port.  If so $8.00 pp plus discretionary tip.

Thanks for the info!

So I am guessing you are saying that I can get a taxi for 3 for $30 to CGB (and thus I need 2 of them for 6 people) so that sounds a lot like $10 a person to me to go private vs $8 to wait for others. Do I have that right?

I am guessing I find these smaller taxis in the same area?

Edited by NightOne

One van taxi will hold all 6 of you and you will find van and sedan taxis at the port. The ladies at the info center can also help you. Many day visitors choose these “private” taxis for a more comfortable ride. The fare should still be per the taxi fee schedule of $8pp for each leg, but the driver may charge a little more for the convenience of one taxi.

Be sure to report back on your day!

You are correct stating driver of a van may change extra for seats not filled.  We experienced this with a driver asking for $80.00, as his taxi was a 10 seater.  

Asking for a deal the discount was $15.00

We were a party of 4, and waited less than 10 minutes for a saloon car, giving $40.00 with tip.  The same driver took us back to the ship at the time booked.  He arrived early and greeted us on the beach, to let us know he was there.

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Typo

2 hours ago, PORT ROYAL said:

You are correct stating driver of a van may change extra for seats not filled.  We experienced this with a driver asking for $80.00, as his taxi was a 10 seater.  

Asking for a deal the discount was $15.00

We were a party of 4, and waited less than 10 minutes for a saloon car, giving $40.00 with tip.  The same driver took us back to the ship at the time booked.  He arrived early and greeted us on the beach, to let us know he was there.

Sorry if I was unclear... I meant the non-safari truck taxis may charge $1 or $2 more pp simply because they are offering a more private experience than the shared “cattle car” type transport. But the fare should be the same but regardless of vehicle type. We normally drive when staying on the island so don’t have recent taxi experience. But when we did taxi in the earlier days the fare for two people in a van taxi was per the fee schedule. These taxis do not charge for unused seats, nor do they wait to fill up. They are like a taxi you would call or flag in any US city...

• Like 1

I seen some somewhat recent video footage on Brewers Bay on YouTube this past weekend and it had me questioning whether we should stay there or just maybe swing by on the way back, take some photos/videos, and keep going. I'm guessing a driver would wait for a few minutes if we pay him. :)

What is dissuading you from Brewers? It is a bit more on the rustic side but gorgeous and offers a much less busy vibe as compared to CGB. If you want more options CGB may better fit you.

Yes a driver will drop you at Brewers and wait. You can also hire a driver by the hour and visit beaches most day visitors never get to see including Long Bay (West End) and Smuggler’s Cove, as well as spots I mentioned to another poster. But these beaches will have few to zero amenities...

1 hour ago, blue_water said:

What is dissuading you from Brewers? It is a bit more on the rustic side but gorgeous and offers a much less busy vibe as compared to CGB. If you want more options CGB may better fit you.

Yes a driver will drop you at Brewers and wait. You can also hire a driver by the hour and visit beaches most day visitors never get to see including Long Bay (West End) and Smuggler’s Cove, as well as spots I mentioned to another poster. But these beaches will have few to zero amenities...

This video

It just seems a bit rocky and uninviting based on this.

Am I missing something?

On 11/8/2018 at 10:46 PM, NightOne said:

This video

It just seems a bit rocky and uninviting based on this.

Am I missing something?

Correct the video shows the rocks at the bottom of the cliffs, being in front of the bar, this is where snorkellers go to find the fish.

The sand is to the right of the beach bar 

On 11/10/2018 at 5:03 AM, PORT ROYAL said:

Correct the video shows the rocks at the bottom of the cliffs, being in front of the bar, this is where snorkellers go to find the fish.

The sand is to the right of the beach bar 

Ok, I wondered about that. So it sounds like you recommend checking out Brewer's then? :)

2 hours ago, NightOne said:

Ok, I wondered about that. So it sounds like you recommend checking out Brewer's then? 🙂

Yes, it has one of the best views out to sea in the Caribbean.

When snorkelling, you may be lucky and see the Tarpons.  If not, Pelicans diving around you is a wonder to see how big are their bill sacks are.

Long beach, plenty of room, good sand, beds for rent, and a bar with a great welcome.

Your visit and spend, no matter how small, will be greatly appreciated.

enjoy your visit.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, NightOne said:

Ok, I wondered about that. So it sounds like you recommend checking out Brewer's then? 🙂

NightOne again, it depends on what you after. If you want off-the-beach snorkeling there are two choices, but Brewers is the only practical option. The beach is sandy with rockier areas for snorkeling, and it is one of the most popular beaches for both snorkeling and just limin’ and enjoying the views. Nicole’s is open and has a rustic restroom. 

If snorkeling is less important and you want “nicer” amenities CGB would be the best choice.

If you want to hire a driver (or rent a Jeep if in port long enough) you could visit both Smuggler’s Cove and Brewers Bay as they are just a 20 minute drive apart with CGB in between.

But you will find Brewers to be gorgeous and will certainly be happy with your choice from that perspective. And unless you want to take one of the excellent day sails (Aristocat, Kuralu, etc) to the Indians and Norman Island caves for the best snorkeling, Brewers is your best option for off-the-beach snorkeling. Enjoy your cruise, and rest assured Brewers Bay is an excellent choice!

• Like 2

Ok, so Brewer's is back on the itinerary. :)

So tips on finding this van taxi that will hold 6 and let them "charter" them out for a few hours? (4-5) 

Just get off the boat and go to that taxi area everyone talks about and strike up a deal? Or will they be adhering to fixed price charts?

The AC Taxi Service sounds like a great option but not at $90+ an hour. Would prefer closer to $60 an hour.

Taxi fares are regulated on Tortola just as on most other islands. That doesn’t mean a driver will not work with you, but just realize there are published fares and hourly rates they should adhere to, especially when picking fares up at the port.

The published hourly rate for a private tour with a licensed taxi for 6 ppl is $115 for 1 hr, $190 for 2 hrs, $265 for 3 hrs, and $340 for 4 hrs (+ tip of course). AC’s rate starts lower and ends up a little more footprint the 4-hour tour, but the reviews from friends for his service are exceptional.

You will also find safari taxi drivers offering 3 - 4 hour tours you share with up to 20+ fellow cruisers, some including a lunch/beach stop (you pay for your lunch). These are very reasonably priced (~$25pp) and are a great way to experience the beauty of Tortola if you are there on a short day, or do not want to spend the day at a beach or two. Not a good option in your case.

Because of the short time on a cruise stop and Tortola being one of the most beautiful islands, we would rent a Jeep (with insurance) for the utmost flexibility and hit a couple beaches while seeing the island. Tortola is pretty easy to drive, although there are some steep roads with sharp switchbacks. The next best thing is to arrange to meet with a driver like AC to make the most of your short time on the island, or call the taxi office and reserve a private driver. But there will be many drivers at the pier if you want to wait. The nice ladies at the information center would be very helpful in that case.

Enjoy your day whatever you choose!

• Like 1

And of course you can just taxi to Brewers and ask a driver to give you a mini-tour on the return, including a stop at CGB. Drivers can be flexible between stops, and often have other couples interested in the same. So if you decide not to reserve a driver just ask at the info booth or ask drivers if one is able to return to Brewers early and accommodate you.

• Like 1

On 11/14/2018 at 9:05 AM, blue_water said:

Taxi fares are regulated on Tortola just as on most other islands. That doesn’t mean a driver will not work with you, but just realize there are published fares and hourly rates they should adhere to, especially when picking fares up at the port.

The published hourly rate for a private tour with a licensed taxi for 6 ppl is $115 for 1 hr, $190 for 2 hrs, $265 for 3 hrs, and $340 for 4 hrs (+ tip of course). AC’s rate starts lower and ends up a little more footprint the 4-hour tour, but the reviews from friends for his service are exceptional.

Enjoy your day whatever you choose!

After 2nd thought we decided to go ahead and book with AC Taxi Service. I just sent him an e-mail to do that. This way we can do whatever we want however we want etc. and not have to worry about it.

Thanks for all the help.

Yes you are very lucky indeed - I’m surprised he wasn't already booked by someone else following this thread who acted sooner! Arnold will help you make the most of your day on Tortola.

If time allows stop at Long Bay Beach (West End) and then plan to spend an hour or 2 at gorgeous Smuggler’s Cove. There will be few if any of your fellow cruisers there, and  I see Nigel is set-up at Smuggler’s so you could have lunch and drinks and snorkel there. But AC can help you decide whether Brewers or Smuggler’s is the best choice for your snorkel time.

On 11/18/2018 at 11:08 AM, blue_water said:

Yes you are very lucky indeed - I’m surprised he wasn't already booked by someone else following this thread who acted sooner! Arnold will help you make the most of your day on Tortola.

If time allows stop at Long Bay Beach (West End) and then plan to spend an hour or 2 at gorgeous Smuggler’s Cove. There will be few if any of your fellow cruisers there, and  I see Nigel is set-up at Smuggler’s so you could have lunch and drinks and snorkel there. But AC can help you decide whether Brewers or Smuggler’s is the best choice for your snorkel time.

I will mention it. We're more about swimming than snorkeling. Well technically just hanging out in the water and taking in all the scenery.

I don't suppose you have any suggestions as to where I might find a place to eat lunch that has gluten free food safe for those of us with celiac disease? :(

Ok then any of these beaches are fine for swimming, Long Bay (West End) is pretty rocky by the cabanas and much sandier toward the east end). LB is our favorite beach for watching pelicans dive with very few people around. Our favorite beach to hang with the views and lunch from Nigel is SC because it’s usually very quiet.

In regards to gluten-free food I would suggest asking that question on the TTOL BVI forum, that is an active forum where residents and frequent visitors provide great help. Many restaurants and bars have been re-opening since Irma a year ago and folks on TTOL can give you more current feedback. Giving the weekday you are there may help.

http://www.traveltalkonline.com/ubbthreads.php/forums/7/1/british-virgin-islands.html

Edited by blue_water
  • Like 1