Tortola Taxis

NightOne

On 11/14/2018 at 10:05 AM, blue_water said:

You will also find safari taxi drivers offering 3 - 4 hour tours you share with up to 20+ fellow cruisers, some including a lunch/beach stop (you pay for your lunch). These are very reasonably priced (~$25pp) and are a great way to experience the beauty of Tortola if you are there on a short day, or do not want to spend the day at a beach or two. Not a good option in your case.

Thank you.  This sounds perfect for my group of 5.

• 1 month later...
On 11/20/2018 at 9:06 AM, blue_water said:

Ok then any of these beaches are fine for swimming, Long Bay (West End) is pretty rocky by the cabanas and much sandier toward the east end). LB is our favorite beach for watching pelicans dive with very few people around. Our favorite beach to hang with the views and lunch from Nigel is SC because it’s usually very quiet.

In regards to gluten-free food I would suggest asking that question on the TTOL BVI forum, that is an active forum where residents and frequent visitors provide great help. Many restaurants and bars have been re-opening since Irma a year ago and folks on TTOL can give you more current feedback. Giving the weekday you are there may help.

http://www.traveltalkonline.com/ubbthreads.php/forums/7/1/british-virgin-islands.html

So we are back a few weeks from our cruise and just wanted to take the time to give some feedback on Arnold of AC'S Taxi Service.

TLDR version: Arnold was wonderful and worth every penny

Arnold was waiting for us right at the port area and was helping others out with directions and and such. After a short search for some last minute water shoes for one of the people in our group we headed to the van. Only a few minutes in it started to rain pretty heavily and the rain lasted for the next few hours. However, after a brief discussion on what we wanted to do and see Arnold came up with a plan for us. Tortola is beautiful.

We drove along the South coast and although I am not sure if we made it all the way to the west side via the South coast we did see a lot. We went to Long Bay (West) and were very close to Smugglesr Cove but didn't actually take the road that went there. We did see the diving birds at Long Bay. We proceeded along the North coast and went by Apple Bay and Carrot Bay and stopped at Stout's Lookout bar which had great views (including Cane Garden Bay). We then went to Cane Garden Bay and hung out there for about 45 minutes but the rain wouldn't stay away for more than 5 minutes at a time. We thought about checking out Coral World but were advised that at $20pp it would be better if we had kids along to get the most value so we skipped it. We made several scenic overlook stops and went by Brewer's Bay but did not go hit the beach there. The scenery was just so awesome that I honestly forgot to think about keeping track of our exact course but we wound up next at Long Bay (Beef Island) which is where we made our swimming stop. About an hour before getting to this beach it had finally stopped raining and turned into a nice day. Long Bay (Beef Island) was awesome. We stayed there for around an hour and started heading back to the cruise port. I'm sure I missed several of the stops we made but I shot a lot of video to remind me later.

I believe Arnold said he had been doing this for 26 or 28 years and it shows. He really knows everything and how to show you a good time based on your desires. Everyone knows him everywhere you go. :)

I highly recommend him and being in the private van with a small group was so much better than one of the completely packed open air taxis we seen along the way. If you have questions feel free to ask.

Thanks again to @Blue Water for the recommentation

So happy that you were able to experience the beauty of Tortola! It’s too bad the rain was so persistent, but it sounds like Arnold made your day a nice one anyway. LB (Beef Island) is indeed gorgeous too.

Tortola is our favorite vacation destination, the island is just so beautiful, and the people are wonderful. Thanks for your report, that will surely be helpful to others visiting Tortola for the first time! 

Just a quick question.  I will be in Tortola January 21st off the Norwegian Pearl and having done a couple dives but no land tours I am thinking about spending about 3 hours over on the west side of the Island.  We port at 8:00 am and reckon I can get off ship around 9:00.  I have an excursion with NCL at 1:30 pm to Norman Island, leaving from pier.  I would want to be back to pier by 12:30.  Would it be worth my time and would I find reliable taxi service if I decided to go to either Cane Garden Bay or Brewer's Bay with snorkel gear, or just a visit and meal?  Three hours is about all I could do but would like to see the west side of the island.

7 hours ago, smokymtnman2 said:

Just a quick question.  I will be in Tortola January 21st off the Norwegian Pearl and having done a couple dives but no land tours I am thinking about spending about 3 hours over on the west side of the Island.  We port at 8:00 am and reckon I can get off ship around 9:00.  I have an excursion with NCL at 1:30 pm to Norman Island, leaving from pier.  I would want to be back to pier by 12:30.  Would it be worth my time and would I find reliable taxi service if I decided to go to either Cane Garden Bay or Brewer's Bay with snorkel gear, or just a visit and meal?  Three hours is about all I could do but would like to see the west side of the island.

Do Brewers, well in your time frame

No problem with taxis

Snorkel, then eat and drink.

The Brewers beach bar will value and greatly appreciate your custom.

Addendum:  The Beach Bar is in an elevated position adjacent to and above the beach, giving a magnificent unobstructed view across the bay.  

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Addendum
  • Thanks 1

Yes I think it would definitely be worth it to spend a couple hours on one of the north shore beaches. Snorkeling is actually an option at both CGB and Brewers but Brewers is a better choice, especially on a short visit. Nicole’s Beach bar normally serves an excellent cheeseburger in paradise, but I‘m reading only drinks and snacks are currently available as the kitchen rebuild continues. But a very nice spot to visit.

CGB is a much larger bay with several beach hotels and bars and so will have a much busier vibe, just depends on what you want...For example if you were considering returning on a land-based visit to enjoy the spectacular dive locations again you may want to check out Myett’s or Quito’s hotel while there for a future stay.

Safari-type taxis will be loading fellow cruisers bound for both north shore beaches, and the fare is ~$8pp each way. There are also private taxis but if traveling solo the fare could be much higher ($24 for one, $12pp for 2 ppl each way). So just ask if not taking a shared taxi...

Edited by blue_water
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...