Cruise Next - double certificate rather than half OBC

podgeandrodge

I am in Epic at moment, cruise next say I can purchase 500 for 2 certs, but instead of 250 obc, double value of cert to 1000.  Also buy 4 certs for 1000, get another 1000 rather than 500 obc. 

Also, no 6 month ahead booking. 

Anyone confirm I'm not misunderstanding? 

Edited by podgeandrodge

I have always purchased CruiseNext certificates this way. I usually do the spend $500 for 4 certificates ($1000). On my last trip last month, I just spent $250 for 2 certificates ($500) because I will be sailing again in February and plan to buy more then.

As for not requiring 6 months to book ahead, you never had to book 6 months out to use a single certificate. You theoretically have to book more than 6 months out to use TWO certificates on a single booking of a balcony or above. However, they have been running a continuous "Double Up" promotion for months now that allows you to use two certificates on a balcony or above on any sailing of 6 days or more, regardless of the date of the sailing. Currently that promo is set to expire on November 30, but they have been extending it every month since June or so as far as I know.

Edited by JamieLogical

It's the same thing...

Buy two and get two free for $500....  Is the exact same thing as buy four for $1000 and get $500 in OBC.

It's always the same deal regardless of how they word it.

Buy one and get one free for $250...  Same as buy two for $500 and get $250 OBC.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, NurseJEB said:

We were told on both of our last two cruises that the double up is now permanent.

That's probably true, since they have been continuously extending it, but it does technically still have an expiration date listed on the CruiseNext site:

DOUBLEUP!
Use up to 2 CruiseNext deposits when you book a Balcony or higher category. This promotion is applicable to all open reservations booked by November 30, 2018.

1 minute ago, JamieLogical said:

That's probably true, since they have been continuously extending it, but it does technically still have an expiration date listed on the CruiseNext site:

DOUBLEUP!
Use up to 2 CruiseNext deposits when you book a Balcony or higher category. This promotion is applicable to all open reservations booked by November 30, 2018.

They may keep it as permanent and just keep the expiration date so that they have the option to change it at some point in the future....  Much like Free at Sea perks.  They've been permanent for years now but they always have an expiration date attached and there are some minor changes here and there from time to time.

Having the expiration date gives them an out with angry passengers that don't bother reading the fine print (like that one thread about the UBP AGAIN and people complaining)....

6 minutes ago, rtkenmore said:

It's the same thing...

Buy two and get two free for $500....  Is the exact same thing as buy four for $1000 and get $500 in OBC.

It's always the same deal regardless of how they word it.

Buy one and get one free for $250...  Same as buy two for $500 and get $250 OBC.

Exactly. In the case of the "buy one get one" offer, you are really just using your OBC to immediately buy additional certificates. This is how it appeared on my account statement from the end of my cruise last month:

10/19 CruiseNext Deposit 250.00

10/19 Non-Refundable Onboard Credit 150.00

10/19 Non-Refundable Onboard Credit 100.00

So you can see, my account was charged for the $500, but then $250 of OBC was added to my account to cover one of the certificates.

Exactly. In the case of the "buy one get one" offer, you are really just using your OBC to immediately buy additional certificates. This is how it appeared on my account statement from the end of my cruise last month:

10/19 Non-Refundable Onboard Credit 150.00

10/19 Non-Refundable Onboard Credit 100.00

So you can see, my account was charged for the $500, but then $250 of OBC was added to my account to cover one of the certificates.

My point exactly...  I've been on a cruise where one CN consultant explains it as an OBC deal and the next CN consultant the following day says it's buy one get one free...  I think they gauge the passenger to see which way they may understand it more easily...  But even if they present it as buy one get one free, and then the onboard account shows up like yours did, those people are going to think they got ripped off and go complain sometimes because they were "charged twice"...

I really wish they would come up with one standard method across the board and take the confusion out of it for the lowest common denominator....

Buy one, pay $150 and get $250 toward a future cruise.

Buy two, pay $250 and get TWO $250 toward future cruises (or double up on a balcony).

Buy three, pay $375 and get THREE $250 toward future cruises.

Buy four, pay $500 and get FOUR $250 toward future cruises (or two double ups on a balcony).

There, simple and straight forward.  That is the deal in black and white and regardless of what any CN consultant says, it doesn't change from that right there.

• Haha 1

Just off the Epic yesterday (had a fantastic time, will write some thoughts when I get a chance). 

As others have said it’s all the same deal, multiples of $500 of CN certs cost $250. 

The CN guy was just trying to get you to buy more certificates. 

They tried the same with me; trying to persuade me that buying 8 certs was a better deal than the 2 I wanted, it wasn’t, just 4 times the cost. 

The CN guy also told me all B6 balconies were the same size, complete nonsense; our one this time was 25% bigger than the last time.

I’d asked if there was a difference to deposits not being refundable on UK bookings if booked with CN certs as we wanted to book same cabin on next cruise but not 100% certain on dates. Nope but they constantly complain to Miami, appa! 

37 minutes ago, amelia3171 said:

Just off the Epic yesterday (had a fantastic time, will write some thoughts when I get a chance). 

As others have said it’s all the same deal, multiples of $500 of CN certs cost $250. 

The CN guy was just trying to get you to buy more certificates. 

They tried the same with me; trying to persuade me that buying 8 certs was a better deal than the 2 I wanted, it wasn’t, just 4 times the cost. 

The CN guy also told me all B6 balconies were the same size, complete nonsense; our one this time was 25% bigger than the last time.

I’d asked if there was a difference to deposits not being refundable on UK bookings if booked with CN certs as we wanted to book same cabin on next cruise but not 100% certain on dates. Nope but they constantly complain to Miami, appa! 

Odd they'd push for 8...  I thought the limit was 4 per person to purchase on one cruise.

1 hour ago, JamieLogical said:
DOUBLEUP!

I've been trying to book a cruise for Feb 2020 (in the Haven) online and it won't let me use both of my CruiseNext deposits. Do I have to call to do this?

5 minutes ago, Aprille said:

I've been trying to book a cruise for Feb 2020 (in the Haven) online and it won't let me use both of my CruiseNext deposits. Do I have to call to do this?

Weird. You may have to call. Though I also recall someone on another thread saying they had to apply one, and then go back and apply the second one in a separate transaction, so maybe try that? You could do the one and if it still won't let you do the second in a separate transaction, then you could call?

9 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

Weird. You may have to call. Though I also recall someone on another thread saying they had to apply one, and then go back and apply the second one in a separate transaction, so maybe try that? You could do the one and if it still won't let you do the second in a separate transaction, then you could call?

Thanks. I'll give that a try.

2 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

Okay, I was able to use both CruiseNext deposits online BUT I had to pay full deposit and then go back in and "make a payment" for each of the CruiseNext deposits. Still had to call to add 3rd person. For some reason when I book all 3 of us it puts my mom as 2nd guest and she doesn't want the drink package, hubby and I do. And you can't seem to add 3rd person online. So I was on hold 30 minutes to do that. *sigh* But, anyway, got it done and used both CruiseNext deposits so I'm a happy camper.

Thanks for the suggestion, JamieLogical. :)

7 minutes ago, Aprille said:

Okay, I was able to use both CruiseNext deposits online BUT I had to pay full deposit and then go back in and "make a payment" for each of the CruiseNext deposits. Still had to call to add 3rd person. For some reason when I book all 3 of us it puts my mom as 2nd guest and she doesn't want the drink package, hubby and I do. And you can't seem to add 3rd person online. So I was on hold 30 minutes to do that. *sigh* But, anyway, got it done and used both CruiseNext deposits so I'm a happy camper.

Thanks for the suggestion, JamieLogical. 🙂

I honestly do all my "shopping" for cruises online, but then call my Norwegian PCC for the actual booking. That way she can take care of that sort of thing for me. Plus, I feel like when I do my bookings through her, she is more inclined to help me out if/when things come up after the fact, like the price drops or the perks being offered change.

I honestly do all my "shopping" for cruises online, but then call my Norwegian PCC for the actual booking. That way she can take care of that sort of thing for me. Plus, I feel like when I do my bookings through her, she is more inclined to help me out if/when things come up after the fact, like the price drops or the perks being offered change.

My PCC moved to another department and I haven't been able to get one since. How do you go about getting a new one? I'd love to have one instead of having to go through the call center every time I need something.

3 minutes ago, Aprille said:

My PCC moved to another department and I haven't been able to get one since. How do you go about getting a new one? I'd love to have one instead of having to go through the call center every time I need something.

Hmm.. I have had the same one since I started sailing Norwegian. I got a postcard introducing her after my first sailing and I get regular emails from her advertising the promos. I would say if you don't get regular emails from an individual, then you would probably have to call the main number and explain that you are looking to be assigned to a new PCC. I am sure they could assign you a new one. And then once they do, you should have that person's direct contact info for future bookings.

Hmm.. I have had the same one since I started sailing Norwegian. I got a postcard introducing her after my first sailing and I get regular emails from her advertising the promos. I would say if you don't get regular emails from an individual, then you would probably have to call the main number and explain that you are looking to be assigned to a new PCC. I am sure they could assign you a new one. And then once they do, you should have that person's direct contact info for future bookings.

I had a PCC that was cold-calling me all the time which I found annoying but maybe I'll give him a call, if I can find his info. LOL! Haven't heard from him in a while.

My original PCC was great until she moved departments - to CruiseNext, no less. Now I can't get her to return my calls or emails. Also annoying. 

3 hours ago, Aprille said:

I don't think a regular CN certificate qualifies as enough for the deposit on a Haven room.  That could be the issue.  You might be best to call like someone else said.

I know typically they sell the regular CN and then they also sell Haven CN which actually covers the Haven deposit.

EDIT: Helps if I read through all the post before responding... I see now the deposit was the issue.

Edited by rtkenmore

43 minutes ago, rtkenmore said:

EDIT: Helps if I read through all the post before responding... I see now the deposit was the issue.

Hehe. Yep. I got it all squared away. I just bought the regular CN's knowing I would book the Haven but I didn't want to pay for the Haven CNs. It's still a $500 payment towards the cruise even though it didn't cover any of the original deposit since I did it online. I'll take it.

I called Mr Cold-Call and left him a message. We'll see if he returns my call. It would be nice to have a PCC again. 

4 minutes ago, Aprille said:

Hehe. Yep. I got it all squared away. I just bought the regular CN's knowing I would book the Haven but I didn't want to pay for the Haven CNs. It's still a $500 payment towards the cruise even though it didn't cover any of the original deposit since I did it online. I'll take it.

I called Mr Cold-Call and left him a message. We'll see if he returns my call. It would be nice to have a PCC again. 

Yeah, I don't quite get the point of buying Haven CN certificates...  You actually end up spending more for them than you do regular CN.

Buy 4 Haven CN for $2000 and get $500 OBC (total investment $1500).

Buy 4 Regular CN for $1000 and get $500 OCC (total investment $500).

That additional $1000 for Haven costs you $1000 and you can only use at most 2 at a time anyway.  There is no savings there.

7 hours ago, podgeandrodge said:

I am in Epic at moment, cruise next say I can purchase 500 for 2 certs, but instead of 250 obc, double value of cert to 1000.  Also buy 4 certs for 1000, get another 1000 rather than 500 obc. 

Also, no 6 month ahead booking. 

Anyone confirm I'm not misunderstanding? 

If you are on board why not let cruise next explain it until you fully understand. Asking on CC, is certainly not the best source.

10 hours ago, NurseJEB said:

We were told on both of our last two cruises that the double up is now permanent.

11 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

However, they have been running a continuous "Double Up" promotion for months now that allows you to use two certificates on a balcony or above on any sailing of 6 days or more, regardless of the date of the sailing. Currently that promo is set to expire on November 30, but they have been extending it every month since June or so as far as I know.

Hi, I'm confused. I just booked an 11-day cruise. Was told that I cannot use double up because we are not in a balcony or above. But the quote here says 6 days or more would qualify. Where did you find that verbiage, pls?
Thank you!

6 minutes ago, Vinylpvc said:

Hi, I'm confused. I just booked an 11-day cruise. Was told that I cannot use double up because we are not in a balcony or above. But the quote here says 6 days or more would qualify. Where did you find that verbiage, pls?
Thank you!

You definitely need to book a balcony or above for the Double Up offer. It says so very explicitly. Where did I say otherwise? Even in the quote you posted from me, I specifically said balcony or above...

11 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

However, they have been running a continuous "Double Up" promotion for months now that allows you to use two certificates on a balcony or above on any sailing of 6 days or more, regardless of the date of the sailing. Currently that promo is set to expire on November 30, but they have been extending it every month since June or so as far as I know.

And here is the language from the CruiseNext site:

DOUBLEUP!
Edited by JamieLogical