Freedom Boarding? Old San Juan Wine Store?

martyap

Any idea about the best time to get to the Pan American Pier to board the Freedom? Have not sailed from PR in years and that was on much smaller Celebrity cruises. Set Sail Pass indicates 12:30. Don’t remember it being very organized on our previous sailings.

Staying at the Decanter Hotel in OSJ.........any wine shops you could suggest?

thanks

Boarding starts at 11 or so- best time is kind of up to you- we arrive so that we step on board around 1pm, so that we can go directly to our cabin and unpack.

We've never really found an actual wine shop in Old San Juan- so the best we've found is the selection at the Super Max store in Plaza de Armas.  

I would try to board as early as possible, even if you have to wait until 1:30 for the cabins to open up.  I arrived at the pier on October 20 at 1:00 PM, and the line to get into the terminal, before security, was very long.  Luggage drop off a little chaotic.  It could be that our cruise had a "kids sail free" sale and there were many large family groups, but just in case, next time I want to be there by 12:00.

Also, the priority luggage drop off and security line that the Adventure had for Platinum C&A last year is gone.  Everyone has to queue up in the same line to enter the terminal.  Didn't even see a special line for the suites.  Once past security everything moves fast. 

On ‎11‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 4:59 AM, martyap said:

Any idea about the best time to get to the Pan American Pier to board the Freedom? Have not sailed from PR in years and that was on much smaller Celebrity cruises. Set Sail Pass indicates 12:30. Don’t remember it being very organized on our previous sailings.

Staying at the Decanter Hotel in OSJ.........any wine shops you could suggest?

thanks

Are you taking the wine on the ship with you?  If so, there is a wine/liquor shop right at the pier.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/12/2018 at 12:17 PM, Aviator of the Seas said:

I would try to board as early as possible, even if you have to wait until 1:30 for the cabins to open up.  I arrived at the pier on October 20 at 1:00 PM, and the line to get into the terminal, before security, was very long.  Luggage drop off a little chaotic.  It could be that our cruise had a "kids sail free" sale and there were many large family groups, but just in case, next time I want to be there by 12:00.

Also, the priority luggage drop off and security line that the Adventure had for Platinum C&A last year is gone.  Everyone has to queue up in the same line to enter the terminal.  Didn't even see a special line for the suites.  Once past security everything moves fast. 

I have to echo this "get there early" message, especially if there's another ship boarding along with the Freedom. I just returned from sailing on the NCL Dawn and boarding and debarkation was parallel with the Freedom and just getting to the terminal was insane!! We arrived around 11:30am and found lines to get to the terminal really not that long BUT...it's not the usual. On our return day, traffic was even worse getting to the terminal. My ride was stuck in the traffic jam for over an hour on a stretch of road just about 1/2 a mile long.

10 hours ago, starrcards said:

Does NCL also use Pan American pier or those in OSJ?

3 hours ago, Russ Lomas said:

NCL used the Pan American when we were there on the Dawn last December

NCL uses Pan American for ships homeporting in San Juan and Old San Juan for port calls.