Snorkeling, I hope I don’t embarrass myself with this question

SoberJulie

First time cruisers, we are set to sail Southern Caribbean on Jan 2 

Grand Cayman, Aruba, Bonaire and Curaçao. 

When we port, is there easy access to a beach where we can just hang out for the day? Is snorkeling directly off the beach ok? 

Short answer is yes. Each island is a little different.

go on trip advisor for advice and reviews on beaches and snorkeling at each stop.

On Grand Cayman you can walk to Eden Rock,rent a locker and go snorkeling, there are also other beaches you can take a bus or taxi to. On the other islands you may be better off going on an excursion. 

Check trip advisor,great advice,pictures and reviews 

On 11/10/2018 at 1:12 AM, Underwatr said:

Plenty of snorkeling areas accessible from shore in Bonaire. See this webpage. Most of them are only practical from the cruise dock if you have transportation. The most convenient snorkeling in Bonaire is to book an excursion with Woodwind. They may sell out so don't delay contacting them if you're interested.

ADORE Woodwind catamaran!!! Their 2-site drift snorkel to Klein Bonaire is amazing. Plus they are very safe, divide you into small groups of expert, avg, and beginners, guide and watch out but not pushy or rushing. Great food, lovely people, relaxed--oh and it's a REAL cat, not a powered boat, so it's nice and quiet. (They do offer rum after the snorkels but not at all a party boat.) Their place is walkable from the pier, just head left along the shore and keep going straight through that resort. Highly recommend--we go with them every time we get to Bonaire.

Edited by sofietucker
  • Like 2

Curacao, everyone loves Mambo Beach, where you can also snorkel. It's much more "civilized", all the amenities (you can get food & drinks, etc. ) and so can get crowded. Snorkeling from shore is fine. Also the Seaquarium's beach is nice (or was, a long time ago...).

Aruba, take a taxi or super-easy/cheap bus to Eagle Beach. Great snorkeling, big wide beach. 

I like to look at the islands via Google Earth to see just where these various beaches are...

On 11/10/2018 at 1:12 AM, Underwatr said:

Plenty of snorkeling areas accessible from shore in Bonaire. See this webpage. Most of them are only practical from the cruise dock if you have transportation. The most convenient snorkeling in Bonaire is to book an excursion with Woodwind. They may sell out so don't delay contacting them if you're interested.

I have a deposit on a cruise that includes Bonaire, and I choose it just to go there and snorkel.  It's getting nearer to the time where i need to decide if I'm going or not, and as I've started researching Bonaire more, I've read that it's not that great or snorkeling anymore, and better for diving.  Somewhere else I read that there's not an abundance of coral now (visible when snorkeling), but TONS of fish.  That would be fine with me.

When have you last been to Bonaire?   Any comments on the above from your experience?

50 minutes ago, RW_MI said:

I have a deposit on a cruise that includes Bonaire, and I choose it just to go there and snorkel.  It's getting nearer to the time where i need to decide if I'm going or not, and as I've started researching Bonaire more, I've read that it's not that great or snorkeling anymore, and better for diving.  Somewhere else I read that there's not an abundance of coral now (visible when snorkeling), but TONS of fish.  That would be fine with me.

When have you last been to Bonaire?   Any comments on the above from your experience?

We were on a snorkel excursion in December on SeaCow to Klein Bonaire.  Did the drift snorkel-lots of fish but I can’t comment on the coral as it was our first time there.  We are going again in January and February though to do it again. It was still enjoyable to us as we love being in the warm weather (we live in Canada!) and snorkeling.  SeaCow was excellent too. Very professional.  

3 hours ago, RW_MI said:

Last there January 2018. Regarding coral,  maybe it depends on where you go. We had gone on a drift snorkel years earlier --fun, in zodiac--on a diff part of the island that was pretty scarce coral, parrotfish only (fun to watch them building the beach tho), an immediate dropoff probably 6 ft out from steep beach filled with people. Probably better for the divers who rode out with us. The places where Woodwind takes us are much wider before dropoff, many kinds of healthy coral and fans, etc., a large variety of sea critters... we have seen a massive ancient parrotfish (think grouper), queen angels, etc. Very colorful and lush. Deserted beaches. And btw, we saw Seacow out there on our side of the island too! So there are good choices of operators.

Edited by sofietucker

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, sofietucker said:

Looks like you  may be on the very same itinerary we did on the K-dam early this year! Fab cruise, love HAL--you will too. Should have perfect weather.

And that's great to know also!  I did book the cruise, and I'm really excited about it. The itinerary just looks awesome!  I'm looking forward to trying HAL and the Koningsdam too.