Best Rolling Backpack Luggage (9x14x22)?

I hope I chose the correct thread for my post. 

Can anyone recommend a very lightweight rolling backpack that is 9x14x22? I like the idea of the backpack but am a little worried about my back. Therefore having a option to roll would be nice. This would be for a international travel.

Edited by Cruiseoholic000

It is not a backpack, but this is currently my favorite bag.

https://www.rei.com/product/118817/rei-co-op-tourwinder-rolling-luggage-22

It handles cobblestones, curbs, and stairs with no problem at all. Stands well. And has carry handles all over the place so you can grab the bag easily.  I love the stash pocket on the front - perfect for stowing a jacket.

I have had real good luck with purchasing from Ebags - I have two large hardside suitcases, two roll on carryons and a great crossbody purse from then.  Quality is excellent, and there is a great selection to choose from.  Hope you find the one you want 🙂

So far I have found. 

Eagle Creek Expanse International Carry-on Luggage, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XGKY43Z/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_tai_Z625BbV6MZA3R

Rick Steve rolling backpack

https://store.ricksteves.com/shop/p/rolling-backpack

Hypath 2-in-1 Convertible Travel Bag - Use as a Backpack with Wheels, Wheeled Carry On, Du... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078NJWJJF/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_tai_kg35Bb...

Osprey has a roller that only weighs 4.5 lbs! Osprey is a good quality bag. 

I have an old Eagle Creek that seems to be indestructible.  The bags they make now are a bit lighter than mine but I can't justify a new bag for 1.5 lbs.

Cruiseoholic,

eBags has 101 rolling backpacks: 

Rolling Backpacks

I used to own an Eagle Creek that had a zip-off daypack on its back. You had to remove the daypack for it to qualify as a carryon, otherwise it was too deep. So that had to be your "personal item". Sadly its wheels became splayed out and could not roll, but I think I had bought it at Ross or TJMaxx, so possibly an "irregular" or factory reject! EC is still a good brand as far as I know.

But I mention it because my back gave out before the wheels did! And you express that fear. Our current system is IT Luggage Los Angeles 21.5" 2-wheelers and daypacks. The current ones are 3lb 12oz (ours are 3.5lb, but I think they have beefed up the wheels). Ours have been all over the world and none the worse for wear! Airlines are cracking down AND lowering the carry on allowance: we leave in 3 weeks to fly on Norwegian Air with carryon allowance of 22lb -- and that's for the rollaboard AND the daypack/personal item together! Good thing I've been training for this!

Currently $55 free shipping. I've bought FIVE more of these for family members, they are that good!

IT rollaboard

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/8/2018 at 11:37 AM, Cruiseoholic000 said:

I hope I chose the correct thread for my post. 

Can anyone recommend a very lightweight rolling backpack that is 9x14x22? I like the idea of the backpack but am a little worried about my back. Therefore having a option to roll would be nice. This would be for a international travel.

22 inches is a little long for international airlines, so you might want to go smaller. Here is a website with a chart of 170 different airlines and their allowances - do double check with the specific airlines as things change regularly.

https://travel-made-simple.com/carry-on-size-chart/

Now, back to the rolling backpack.  Other travel forums will say the design is a compromise and there is no perfect option.  The biggest flaw is not an adequate hip belt that would support the bag weight and help with shoulder or back problems. Also, most designs are 6 pounds or more. 

My last European trip was a 2 wheeled 21 inch bag, but no more. The strain on my arms and shoulders due to angling the back and pulling is problematic. I have moved to a 3 pound IT bag 4 wheeled spinner.  Granted, I haven't really traveled with it yet, but will be giving it a run in a month.

If I was to go straight back pack, certainly the TLS Motherlode is great, but note the roller version has no hip belt at all so useless for back issues.  If you are going to have wheels, buy a lighter weight suitcase with minimal pockets and a full rectangle shape. Backpacks often lose space because of the curved top.

Eagle creek has several 'convertible' packs.  Still a little heavy, but they are designed to add a padded hip belt to them.  Read the reviews, because they are expensive.