Visiting City of Cap-Haiten during stop in Labadee

Ny Alesund

In a few months, I am booked on a cruise with RCL that is stopping in Labadee on the north coast of Haiti. In my research, the "private island" is not actually an island and is actually a private resort on the mainland about 6 miles away from Cap Haitien, the second largest city in Haiti. I would be very interested in visiting this city to get about a better idea of what the nation is like culturally. However, there are no shore excursions whatsoever that leave the walled off resort area and I have not been able to find any information on this site or elsewhere with recommendations on how to get to town from the port. Has anyone ever been to this port of call and left the resort during their stopover? If so, what is the best way to get to town? Does security give you any problem with trying to get in/out of the gate? Also do you need to have your passport stamped/go through customs? Any input would be very helpful. 

Edited by Ny Alesund

short answer is NO .. you can't get out of 'the compound'

there was an excursion that went to the nearby town of Labadee but not sure if that's around anymore - it wasn't much.

This is why the jet ski rentals and the like are all guide led tours ... they don't want you going 'off compound' ....

(been there and you ain't gonna miss much ... Cap H was a cruise port call back in the 80's and b4 .... and then the several government overthrows happened and they've never recovered. I visited there and Port Au Prince and Port au Paix many times by cruise back then and 'on duty' during my Carib patrol time thru the 80's and 90's.

I actually visited the Labadee 'cruise compound in the mid 80's. Royal had begun to develop the 'private island' then. They'd built some structures etc and then the AIDS epidemic hit and if you recall one of the  BIG hotspots was Haiti .... and then no one wanted to go to Haiti anymore.  Royal walked away from their project altho I think the lease was in effect so things just got overgrown .... until they came back. )

Edited by Capt_BJ

Sorry, Capt. BJ,  but apparently you  can leave the compound under certain conditions. Found this on TripAdvisor, for what it's worth:  https://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g147306-i747-k11012668-Transportation_from_Labadee_to_Citadelle-Haiti.html#95651240

However, I think the OP should first read, and seriously consider the warnings about travel in Haiti: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories/haiti-travel-advisory.html

I stand by my SHORT ANSWER ..... No

another has mentioned a company that says they can 'get you out'

I don't see a review that says "I did it"

I see a price of $350 per person ....

I HAVE driven on the roads there (Lab to CH) ..... it is VERY exciting (I was taken in a 4wd  and we often NEEDED the 4wd)

I'll change my reply when I see a review by someone who did it.

The only time we ever went beyond the barbed wire and gates at Labadee, was when they drove us to the top of the hill, for the Dragon's Breath Zip Line. Event then, we were taken out in an open-bed truck, and went straight to our destination. We saw a few goats, and wide-eyed children on that short drive --- but, that was it.