Escape Wheel Chair Assistance Tip Amount

cruisekitty22

47 minutes ago, cruisekitty22 said:

How much should we tip the person who pushes the wheelchair to the ship from our car at the NY pier? We are going Sunday. Is $5.00 $10.00 enough?  First timers doing this. We are going on the Escape Nov. 11-18, 2018.

I didn't realize NCL (or the port/etc.) had someone to assist with wheelchairs prior to getting inside a port building, from a car.

That would be good to know, as sometimes the biggest problem is getting inside the terminal so one can then get help (especially if the entrance area is mobbed!).

We never even asked...!

GC

1 hour ago, cruisekitty22 said:

How much should we tip the person who pushes the wheelchair to the ship from our car at the NY pier? We are going Sunday. Is $5.00 $10.00 enough?  First timers doing this. We are going on the Escape Nov. 11-18, 2018.

I think ten would be about right.  From what I understand they make pretty good wages there.

I have a fairly large segment of family that works in and around the airports (DTW, ATL and NYC).  These types of questions/situations are discussed ALOT.  So allowing for the fact that tipping is a highly personal decision.  The concensus seems to be that pushing a wheelchair is a highly personal service that lends itself to a higher tip. The general feedback says that pushing the wheelchair also tends to accompany additional services with bags and physical assistance to the next "location".  The going rate starts at $20 for that type service.

I agree with statements that tips are highly personal and due to level of service and due to circumstances.  I took my mom (she had COPD and battling cancer) on a cruise and we didn't have wheelchair service until inside the terminal and in the "special needs" area (we were at NYC port).  I had booked a haven suite for us and from the terminal thru customs to the haven check in and haven spot and it's a long distance.  Everyone from customs to the NCL employees were extremely helpful.  I had tipped the attendant $20 because of the distance and how attentive he was toward both of us.  When we disembarked we waited in the haven area and the attendant got us off the ship..found our misplaced luggage, found a porter, breezed us thru customs and even took us thru the long distance to the area where the bus was to pick us up.  He was amazing, kind, helpful. Memory fails me now but he did remember us from on the ship, I don't think a room steward.  I tipped him $35 which I would consider to be high but he went way outside of the norm to help us find luggage and the very long walk and I know he missed out on other tips he could have made.  

I realize that you think you are getting wheelchair assistance, but unless you have made arrangements with a specific person you are not likely to have anyone to assist you until you get inside the building to begin check in. Don't count on anyone pushing the chair until you are inside, there are no NCL workers outside the building and the stevedores are not going to push a wheel chair.

1 hour ago, zqvol said:

I realize that you think you are getting wheelchair assistance, but unless you have made arrangements with a specific person you are not likely to have anyone to assist you until you get inside the building to begin check in. Don't count on anyone pushing the chair until you are inside, there are no NCL workers outside the building and the stevedores are not going to push a wheel chair.

This was our understanding and our experience also, which is why I commented above.

We also had considerable difficulty getting to the check in area for the Haven/Suites, in all the madness. There was NO one to assist, zippo, outside, not even to get any directions about Haven check in area, etc.

But if there *is* a way to arrange this, could OP please share the contact information?

Thank you.

GC

Edited by GeezerCouple

All we know our travel agent booked wheelchair assistance.  We are having car service drop us off at the pier.  In April we went Royal Caribbean, Empress of The Seas out of Miami.  We flew into Ft Lauderdale, and were bussed to the Miami pier. As soon as we got off the bus, the lady with the clipboard hooked us up with the wheelchair.  We were then wisked through boarding. I guess tomorrow morning we will see how its done in NYC pier.  Thanks for the replies. 

I can tell you how it works in Los Angeles. There is no one to push your chair from the spot where your car service drops you off until you get inside the terminal. The wheelchair assistance on your reservation (and it should be on your e-docs as well! be sure to check!) refers to getting you (usually) post-security and onto the ship. There is an elevator but then a series of ramps, which is when you really appreciate the assistance.

I usually tip 10 or 20. Have a great cruise!