HAL "Famous" Bread and Butter Pudding Recipe

DesertDiva

Many of you have commented on the Bread and Butter Pudding while cruising on HAL. When I cruised recently on HAL Oosterdam, they had the recipe in front of the pudding on the Lido Buffet.

Bread and Butter Pudding

1 quart Milk

10 Whole Eggs

8 oz. Sugar

1 tsp. Vanilla Flavour

4 oz. Butter

1 tsp. Cinnamon

4 oz. Raisins

4 White Bread Loaves

Method:

1. Trim the crust off the bread, cut into 2-inch cubes

2. Mix sugar and eggs

3. Add the milk, vanilla flavour and cinnamon

4. Put the bread into a baking dish and sprinkle with raisins

5. Pour 2/3 of the milk mixture over the bread

6. Soak for a few minutes and add the remaining mixture

7. Add the butter pieces

8. Cover with aluminum foil and bake in a warm water bath for approximately 60 minutes at 350 degrees F

9. Uncover and bake until the surface of the pudding is golden brown, approximately 20 minutes.

10. Serve warm with hot vanilla sauce.

Vanilla Sauce

1 pint Milk

1 pint Heavy Cream

1 Vanilla Bean (cut in half lengthwise)

4 oz. Sugar

9 oz. Egg Yolk

4 oz. Sugar

Method:

1. Heat the milk, heavy cream, vanilla bean, and 1/2 of the sugar until it boils. Remove the vanilla bean.

2. Combine egg yolks and the rest of the sugar, then temper with part of the boiling milk while stirring constantly.

3. Pour egg mixture into the remaining milk and return to heat.

4. Stir constantly on low heat until mixture thickens.

5. Remove immediately from stove and strain through a cap strainer, directly into a serving dish.

Yield: 3 pints

It seems as though only the Vista class ships put the recipe in front of the Bread pudding. I brought the recipe home and compared it to one that was posted in the daily program many years ago - slight difference.

Now that most of the ships have gone through SOE, the bread pudding on most of the ships is served by a crew member - you can no longer help yourself.

Put me down as one of those people who does not like HAL's Bread Pudding - but then I don't like anyone's Bread Pudding. I do, however love the Vanilla Sauce that goes along with the pudding and slather it heavily on the various "crisps" they serve almost daily.:D

On the Amsterdam the Bread Pudding (chocolate and plain) is there on the dessert bar for you to help yourself. Needless to say I didn't bother with it but my daughter more than made up for both of us.

I did have a recipe from the Statendam at one time but gave it to a friend who craves Bread Pudding.

Bring on the chocolate desserts - right Ruth?

Valerie;)

p.s. I just remembered that there was thread going earlier about the Mueslix from Room Service on some ships coming in a pre-mixed package. On the Amsterdam they serve the "real stuff" and I had it for breakfast most mornings. What a way to start the day.:)

Wow! This really sounds gooooood! I can hardly wait until the end of April when we leave on the Prinsendam for the Amazon. Hope they have the bread pudding and OFTEN! Thanks for the recipe.

It is served everyday in Lido at lunchtime.....and it is delicious. I have shown remarkable restraint on recent cruises and have barely taken just a tiny taste. A little taste now and then is a real treat. :)

We have had some bread puddings on some ships that we thought were terrible - poor chefs and poor preparations.

Years ago on the Ryndam on a repositioning cruise we had CHOCOLATE BREAD PUDDING WITH A CHOCOLATE SAUCE - now that was really great - prepared by Chef Joh Mulvany.

Is he still in Seattle? Not back on the ships? I miss him....what a wonderful chef and equally great guy.

Put me down as one of those people who does not like HAL's Bread Pudding - but then I don't like anyone's Bread Pudding.

Bring on the chocolate desserts - right Ruth?

Chocolate? Did somebody say "chocolate"? ;)

I had never even had bread pudding when once upon a cruise, I was having lunch. Someone joining the table had a bowl of something brown that caught my eye. I started salivating, and asked what it was. Chocolate bread pudding, came the response. Like a shot I was up getting some. Delicious. :)

I enjoy HAL's bread pudding & have it often,:) but seem to remember as a little girl that my Mom served Hard Sauce with it..The Vanilla Sauce that HAL serves, although very tasty, is not the same as my mother used to make..

Does anyone else remember what Hard Sauce is?:confused:

To me the bread pudding is one of the most important reasons to cruise HAL.

I do a carb diet half of the year and when I cruise I have the bread pudding every day for dessert at lunch and sometimes (2) bowls - :eek: !! Asbolutely luscious. Now .... my husband on the other hand, will not even have a taste.

I usually gain 5 lbs. on a 7 night cruise but it's worth it!! :D

Betty- My mother too made bread pudding, but with no sauce. She made hard sauce for the steamed puddings she made. I've only seen vanilla sauce with bread pudding since I left home and her cooking. I love it with vanilla sauce. Can't imagine it with hard sauce although I loved hard sauce with steamed pudding. Just the way we were raised, huh? We'll soon see if the Prinsendam serves it and how.

A famous bread pudding souffle was served at the Commander's Palace in New Orleans. I hope the restaurant survived the hurricane! It was (or hopefully is) located in a neighborhood known as the Garden District and I think I read that that area was above the flood line.

I'm posting this so that if any of you go to New Orleans in the future, you will know about this amazing dessert. With Bread Pudding Soffle and beignets, who needs anything else?

I enjoy HAL's bread pudding but nothing quite rivaled the souffle. We depart tomorrow evening for Auckland and the Statendam.

I do not like Holland America's version of bread pudding as I have said in an earlier thread on this subject. It is too squishy and sweet and doesn't have enough flavoring or raisins. Here is a recipe from one of my favorite cookbooks that is better and more managable than the HAL version. It calls for a loaf of STALE french bread, the most important ingredient. I let a loaf sit for three or four days. If you live in a hot moist climate then two days. You want a heavy porous bread that will soak up the custard for a final consistancy similar to french toast.

Comforting Bread Pudding -

1 loaf stale french bread cut into squares or crumbled

1 quart milk

3 eggs

1 cup granulated sugar

1 tablespoon vanilla extract

1 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)

1 cup raisins (or currents)

Place the cut or crumbled bread in a large bowl and pour the milk over it and let stand for 1 hour. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease a 9x13x2 inch baking pan with butter or margarine. In a separate bowl beat the eggs and add the sugar, vanilla and cinnamon. Stir the eggs into the bread and milk gently but thoroughly. Stir in the raisins. Pour into the baking dish and bake until browned and set, about 1 hour. I sometimes sprinkle freshly ground nutmeg on top before baking.

Sauce

1 stick butter

1 cup powdered sugar

1 egg

4 tablespoons whiskey, brandy or rum (or 1 teaspoon vanilla for the faint of heart)

In the top of a double boiler heat the butter and sugar until very hot. Stir frequently. Beat the egg in a small bowl and add slowly to the sugar mix while whisking briskly. Remove the top of the double boiler and continue whisking until cooled. Add the whiskey to taste (or just drink it without adding).

Serve the pudding warm. Makes 6 to 10 servings. Can be stored in the fridge and reheated in the oven or microwave.

Notice the difference between this recipe and the one for HAL. 1 tablespoon vanilla here for 1 loaf of bread and a measly 1 teaspoon vanilla for 4 loaves of bread in the HAL version. 1 cup (8 oz.) raisins here for 1 loaf vs. 4 oz (1/2 cup) raisins for 4 loaves in the HAL version.

After writing all this, I'm off to the market for a loaf of San Francisco sourdough so it can sit around for 3 or 4 days becoming sufficiently stale for some pudding.

Bon Appetite!!

Thanks Bill..That's the Hard sauce I'm talking about, but think it may have had "Brandy" in it..Also the Bread Pudding sounds very much like my Mothers as she always used stale bread & it had lots of raisins..

Liz..I also remember another kind of pudding with the Hard sauce, but the name eludes me...Don't get me wrong, I enjoy HAL's Bread Pudding, but it isn't quite the same as the one my Mom (Dutch or German)used to make..Have a feeling that Bill's recipe is very close to hers..

Oh this is awful..;) It's 11 P.M. & just arrived home from DH's Chorus Installation dinner/dance...The food was great but now I have a craving for Bread Pudding..:o What can I do to get over this craving..Maybe some chocolate will help..

I had the bread pudding for the 1st time in Nov. on the Veendam. It was delicious. We could even serve ourselves!! Yummy!!:D [/color]

Maybe you should change your name from the desert to the DessertDiva!!

Archived