Keukenhoff Gardens

V&P

We would like to go to the gardens either the 21st or 22nd of March (Day 1 & 2 of season opening). For those of you who have been, do you feel a “skip the line” ticket will be warranted? TIA

We were there mid April a few years ago and went with a local tour operator and no problem with queues. I don’t know where you are looking or what the cost is of any tickets you have seen but Keukenhof themselves offer combined entrance and return bus ticket to Amsterdam for €30 each (2019 price). It’s a lovely day out and to see it all takes a while, the whisper boat trip costs extra and well worth it. One tip, if you visit one of the many souvenir shops at Keukenhof then don’t waste time with the others as they stock the exact same stuff.

Much depends how warm./cold winter and spring will be. But in general during the opening weeks there will be daffodils blooming. In the glasshouses you might find tulips blooming too, but not outside yet. The same for the fields outside Keukenhof It is very early in the season, so there will be no real lines,

• 2 weeks later...

Ine, we are interested in going to Keukenhof from Rotterdam cruise terminal. i understand I can take the tram to the train station then train to Leiden and then the gardens shuttle from Leiden. I can purchase the shuttle tickets and skip the line entrance on line. We are going to be there on April 29 2019, so it should be busy and in full bloom. I also read that an easy 5-10 walk from the train station in Leiden there is a restored windmill open to the public and a variety of nice restaurants nearby. We plan to make a day of the gardens then the windmill and lunch in Leiden before taking the train back to Rotterdam.

Since we are only in port for the day is this a reliable means of transportation back and forth from the pier as long as we are attentive to the train schedule for our return trip. Does this sound like a realistic excursion?

Thanks for any help.

Yes your plan willl work. In general trains are running on time and very frequent.   You need to take either cab or metro to Rotterdam Centraal Station and train from there. Schedules can be found on their website https://www.ns.nl/en

Check the website by then also to see if any works are done on the track which might mean a little delay. 

April 29  is a weekday so it will be less busy then weekends. End of April is often the best time to see Keukenhof and some of the fields.

• Like 1

Ina, Sorry I was mistaken! I had tried that site previously and could not go beyond January. Your link took me directly to the site and I was able to view the schedule in April. Great for planning, thank you so much!

gma rae

Don't cut your time short at Keukenhof. I am not a flower person, but when I was on a river cruise in 2010 they took us to the gardens. We had a choice of 2 return times, and I was sure that I would be on the first, but I was enjoying it so much I stayed until the later pickup time. There is food available at the gardens - it wasn't wonderful in my estimation - but make sure that you see all the gardens. They are AMAZING!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, gnome12 said:

gma rae

Don't cut your time short at Keukenhof. I am not a flower person, but when I was on a river cruise in 2010 they took us to the gardens. We had a choice of 2 return times, and I was sure that I would be on the first, but I was enjoying it so much I stayed until the later pickup time. There is food available at the gardens - it wasn't wonderful in my estimation - but make sure that you see all the gardens. They are AMAZING!

What time of year were you there?  We will be there close to the end of the season (May 9 or so) and am wondering whether the "skip the line" tickets will be necessary.  

Cathy

13 hours ago, Barwick Cruiser said:

What time of year were you there?  We will be there close to the end of the season (May 9 or so) and am wondering whether the "skip the line" tickets will be necessary.  

Cathy

I was there right at the end of April, but spring had been late that year. Everything seemed to be in bloom. 

Don't forget that there are also buildings with flowers, and they are far less dependent on the weather outside.

I don't know anything about skip the line tickets; Uniworld got them when we arrived but there was probably a group ticket desk.

Edited by gnome12

• 1 month later...

I just discovered that the day we are in Rotterdam is the day before Kings Day. Will this make our use of public transportation on the train more difficult? People on our roll call were talking about how difficult and overwhelming the crowds are on Kings Day. Does this also apply to the day before as it will be a Friday? Will the crowds only be at the big venues in large cities or widespread to all transportation and towns?

Thanks for all help.

Edited by gma rae