Wheelchair at Port of Miami

#1packerfan

Hi Everyone, we are cruising in Feb on Celebrity Equinox, and my sister uses a wheelchair if she has to walk a long distance, etc. She is bringing her own chair with and her husband will push her. My question is about the process for wheelchairs/disabilities when checking in at the port.  My husband and I have cruised many times, but never with anyone in a chair.  

Is there a special check-in or waiting area for those in chairs?  Do they board first like on an airplane?  DH & I board ahead anyway because of status so that part really does not matter, but trying to figure it all out.   She probably will not use the chair much on the ship itself, if we walk slow and she has plenty of places to sit if she needs to, she is fine.  

Thanks in advance for any tips.  It is appreciated. 

When you get to the terminal, they will notice you if you are in a wheelchair and route you to the appropriate desk to check in for both disabled person and traveling companion. Usually they have a designated area for you to wait, however they will normally allow the entire party to wait in the same area. There are a couple reasons for the designated waiting space. One being ship's assistance, but with her own wheelchair and pusher, that should not be required. The other aspect is the elevator. If elevators are required, they usually give the disabled group a designated bank of elevators and will send up as space is available once boarding starts.  Actually, it is a very efficient system for all.

Have a wonderful cruise,

Betty

Edited by raindropsalways

5 hours ago, #1packerfan said:

Hi Everyone, we are cruising in Feb on Celebrity Equinox, and my sister uses a wheelchair if she has to walk a long distance, etc. She is bringing her own chair with and her husband will push her. My question is about the process for wheelchairs/disabilities when checking in at the port.  My husband and I have cruised many times, but never with anyone in a chair.  

Is there a special check-in or waiting area for those in chairs?  Do they board first like on an airplane?  DH & I board ahead anyway because of status so that part really does not matter, but trying to figure it all out.   She probably will not use the chair much on the ship itself, if we walk slow and she has plenty of places to sit if she needs to, she is fine.  

We were on the Equinox out of Miami twice this year.   There is a special line for people with walkers, disabilities, canes, wheelchairs, etc.  There are plenty of employees in the terminal guiding people through the checking in and boarding process and to the appropriate line.  Wheelchair people do not necessarily get on the ship earlier but we've never had to wait very long.  But if she can board with you because of your status that would also be an option.   When you board, if her husband does not want to push her up the ramp to the entrance of the ship, they have employees to do that (and take her and drop her off at most any place on the ship she wants to go) but she would have to wait for an available wheelchair-pusher for this.  Also, using a wheelchair to get on and off the ship at ports there are employees who will help with getting up and down the ramp. 

She might also consider completing Celebrity's special needs form ahead of time:

https://www.celebritycruises.com/ca/special-needs

Thank you for the replies.  I have downloaded the special needs form and will give it to her to fill out if she wants to.  I don't think she will use the chair in the ports, she will most likely use her cane instead. I guess it will depend on what they decide to do.  But the information is appreciated.

It is their first cruise in many years and first since she has the disability so it is new for all of us.  We have regular balconies but her chair folds so that is not a big deal.  We are not in the cabin much anyway.  

On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 10:30 AM, #1packerfan said:

Thanks in advance for any tips.  It is appreciated. 

I was just at Miami.  However with RCCL.  Boarding is straight forward.  Go check in.  Someone will point to where to go which in the case of RCCL, a lower counter.  After check in, if the ship is already boarding, you just go with the flow.  Someone will point to where the elevator is.  If you arrive early, they usually have a waiting area, but boarding is based on status, not mobility.  you could either be in the mobility area, or the regular area, and it really does not matter.   We also use a chair in ports (scooter) but getting on and off the ship is no different.  Just go with the flow. 

• 2 weeks later...

I am going to jump in to this conversation and ask a question as there seems to be some on this thread that are familiar with the procedure for boarding the Equinox with wheel chair assistance.  We will be driving to the port on 12/15.  We have arranged for my husband to be given wheelchair assistance to board.  Typically there is somewhere outside the terminal that you are to sit and wait for the "pusher" and a chair.  My problem is I must drop the luggage, assist him to this waiting location and then go find parking and get back to him.  It would help a lot if I knew relatively where the waiting station is.  Anyone have any helpful info?  Thx in advance.

What you have to realize is the cruise center is the building. The workers and policy is the individual cruise line. Princess has no set policy, we have waited our turn and have been directed to a separate check in station. As far as check in, we have never had to wait more than 15 minutes.