First Time In Tortola - Some questions??

castle701

We have an 8-6 am stop in Tortola on Dec. 19th. We are traveling on the Edge. From reading everything, I am wondering if the Bath's is something that must be done. My husband and I are not too athletic and normally love just going to a nice beach. I did get in touch with Patouche/Tortola Tours and they do a tour to the Baths, Snokeling at Cooper Island and lunch at the Cooper Island Beach Club - while this sounds super nice, and something my grown Son who is with us will love, I'm a bit unsure for Myself and my Husband.  Would a day at Cane Garden Bay be better? Seriously, any help would be great.  And by the way, any imput on Patouche tours ??

12 hours ago, castle701 said:

We have an 8-6 am stop in Tortola on Dec. 19th. We are traveling on the Edge. From reading everything, I am wondering if the Bath's is something that must be done. My husband and I are not too athletic and normally love just going to a nice beach. I did get in touch with Patouche/Tortola Tours and they do a tour to the Baths, Snokeling at Cooper Island and lunch at the Cooper Island Beach Club - while this sounds super nice, and something my grown Son who is with us will love, I'm a bit unsure for Myself and my Husband.  Would a day at Cane Garden Bay be better? Seriously, any help would be great.  And by the way, any imput on Patouche tours ??

Just a personal opinion

The tour is an excellent one.

If you want a beach beak, then consider passing on CGB

and head for Brewers.

When busy CGB beds resemble the packing of sardine tins, and very noisy.

Brewers is a much better beach experience for genteel cruisers.

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Typo

It really depends on what you want for your day as these are two very different choices. Patouche is an excellent tour operator, Joe gets rave reviews from everyone, and the stop at Cooper makes this day sail to the Baths a special one. I assume that rather than dropping you at the Virgin Gorda marina Joe will be mooring off the beach at the Baths and you will be swimming or dingying into shore to explore the Baths? 

Port Royal’s suggestion for Brewers Bay is right on if looking for a nice, quiet beach day with beautiful views. I would even consider Long Bay (West End) for a nice long, picture postcard beach that is walkable and has a restaurant.

But having that much time in port opens your options considerably, most day visitors are limited to just going to a beach or taking an island tour. For that reason I would recommend taking advantage of Joe’s tour. You will have some time to enjoy beautiful Devils Bay beach on VG, as well as gorgeous Cooper Island beach. And yes, the Baths are a must for first-time visitors IMHO. And being able to arrive there as a smaller group makes the experience even nicer. That will be a story to share with fellow cruisers at dinner that evening, and for years to come!